tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

X10 (SPF+)

hello,

I want to go from the X10 to the Nas.
it doesn't work with the SPF+.
it doesn't work with Windows 11 Pro,
android and IOS (apple phone)
when I log in through the ORBI with WiFi or cable.
it does work.
What am I doing wrong.
I have a feeling it's the SPF+?
What settings do I still need to make to make it work via SPF+?
You may be thinking why do you use the SPF+? I have more
speed at the ORBI.
then everyone can do it internally with my family
gaming among themselves
Can someone please help me?X10-orbi.jpg

Message 1 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: X10 (SPF+)

Can you please confirm that this is the router:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R9000.pdf 

and the product number of the SFP+ module that is connected to the RBR850 WAN port.  How do the X10 and the RBR850 report the connection of these ports?

Does the link function using one of the regular gigabit ports on the X10?

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@tamme_tekkel wrote:

hello,

I want to go from the X10 to the Nas.
it doesn't work with the SPF+.

Because the NAS is connected to the Orbi router, it is part of the Orbi LAN and cannot be "seen" from the WAN side of the Orbi unless specific ports are forwarded through the router.

In this case, a device connected to the X10 system, would attempt to connect to the WAN IP address of the Orbi router on port 5000 which would be forwarded to port 1000 on the NAS because there is a port forwarding rule on the Orbi listing the LAN IP of the NAS as the target device.

Other than this application, does the Orbi router appear to function correctly?  i.e. devices connected to the Orbi have internet access that is working correctly?

Is the ultimate goal to access the NAS from the internet?  (which might be why there is also a port forwarding rule on the X10?)  If so, these two rules are not consistent.  i.e. the X10 rule does not forward to port 5000 on the Orbi.

Message 3 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

hello,

thanks for your quick response Sorry I didn't give my drawing completely I have now set all ports to 5000. from the X10 it now works with port 5000 via the SPF+ I actually want to watch films and photos from the NAS to my IPTV box from my ZTE to the nas does not work. If I move my Nas to the X10, it works correctly. where am I going wrong? I also don't see in the log file of the X10 whether anything is being blocked. I also don't know how to get into the settings of the ZTE. this is a provider router.

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you make screen shots of the Port Forwarding Rules?

Message 5 of 18
Kitsap
Master

On my R9000, the SPF+ port can be configured for WAN function only.  I use a SPF+/RJ45 adapter with an Ethernet cable connected to the 2.5 Gbps port on my modem.  See attached.

What is the brand name and model number of the device you have connected between the R9000 and your internet connection?

Message 6 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

Hello,

i installed it as on photo.

it is working great.

before my orbi was ir the RAX120. 

tamme_tekkel_0-1710238170402.png

tamme_tekkel_1-1710238262897.png

this is the module.

if it is not the good one pleae tell?

Message 7 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

hello,

module spf:

tamme_tekkel_0-1710239111212.png

i have this. i am afraid to give the Ip adres of the systems to. Sorry:

see picture atteched

i hope this is what you ask.?

Message 8 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Kitsap wrote:

On my R9000, the SPF+ port can be configured for WAN function only.

Interesting, and very likely wrong 8-) - there is certainly a control allowing to map the SFP+ to the LAN as well as to the WAN. Since owning the R9000, it was connected using an 3rd party SFP+ module connecting to the LAN here.

@tamme_tekkel well possible not all SFP+, and much more not all SFP+RJ45 modules are the same. Not everything is recognized - this is not limited to the R9000 SFP+ slot...

Message 9 of 18
Kitsap
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@Kitsap wrote:

On my R9000, the SPF+ port can be configured for WAN function only.

Interesting, and very likely wrong 8-) - there is certainly a control allowing to map the SFP+ to the LAN as well as to the WAN. Since owning the R9000, it was connected using an 3rd party SFP+ module connecting to the LAN here.

@tamme_tekkel well possible not all SFP+, and much more not all SFP+RJ45 modules are the same. Not everything is recognized - this is not limited to the R9000 SFP+ slot...

@schumaku 

Please share a screen snip of the control you believe is certainly there and a screen snip of the statistics page showing the SFP+ port configured for LAN function.  See attached.

Message 10 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

hello,

you mean this?

tamme_tekkel_0-1710324831192.png

I am curious which SPF module is good for use in the R9000
you made me doubt myself.
I want to have a good module.
We have to keep up the speed within our family and home.
what about the problem I have?
I want to go from my IPTV to my nas. how and what should I do about this?
is this due to the SPF module?
if so which one should I get?

Message 11 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@tamme_tekkel wrote:

hello,

you mean this?

Afraid no. However, we see your SFP+ module is recognized on this R9000, and some of the traffic is counting up there. Tend to say .... nothing obviously wrong with the module.

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

The issue may not be with the SFP+ module, but with the connection method and the fact that the Orbi is in router mode.**

Are these assumptions correct:

• Devices connected to the Orbi can stream from the NAS.
  • When the NAS is moved to the R9000, devices connected to the R9000 can stream from the NAS.
  • The problem is that when the NAS is connected to the Orbi, devices connected to the R9000 cannot stream.
  • There is a Port Forwarding rule on the Orbi to forward packets sent to the Orbi WAN IP address port 5000 (assigned to it by the R9000) to the LAN IP port 5000 of the NAS (on the Orbi).

It should be relatively simply to determine if the SFP+ module is causing a problem by connecting the Orbi WAN port to one of the R9000 Ethernet LAN ports.  If devices on the R9000 can stream from the NAS over the Ethernet connection, that supports the idea that the SFP+ module is a problem.  If devices on the R9000 cannot stream from the NAS over the Ethernet connection, then the SFP+ module is not the problem. If this has already been reported in the discussion, I missed it. "My Bad"

** By connection method, I mean how a device decides to open a connection to the IP address of the NAS on port 5000.  Many streaming systems use broadcast methods to locate potential servers.  If the NAS is responding to broadcast requests, "Are there any media servers on the LAN?", I am not confident that such broadcasts (or responses) will be forwarded across the Orbi Port Forwarding link.

This issue would not be present if the Orbi is in AP mode and thus the NAS is in the R9000 IP subnet, but changing an Orbi from router to AP mode is not a trivial undertaking when there are a lot of devices already on the network.

Anyway, my thought is the first step is to verify whether the SFP+ module is causing the issue.

Message 13 of 18
Kitsap
Master

If you do not have any devices that connect to your 60 GHz 802.11ad Wi-Fi, it would be a good idea to turn off the radio to prevent buildup of heat.

See attached.

Message 14 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

I found the IP of the ZTE after long search. if I give it ip(ZTE):5000 (external) used can I log in nas I don't think it's the spf module? it's in the ZTE. I cannot go to the nas with the IPTV (provider).How do I get into the ZTE? Maybe I can fill in the port forwarding IPTV is an Android TV. I do not know which operating system that is? I have checked whether I can change the IPTV settings. these are limited I think I have to start believing that what I want is not possible.
If everything works externally, everything is fine, I think? I can log in from externally with my iPhone and Samsung A50.

Message 15 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

hello,

thanks i turn it of now.

Message 16 of 18
tamme_tekkel
Aspirant

I found it.
I have the ZTE login.
I have also enabled port forwarding in the ZTE.
I also saw that port 5000 is not a good option. the Nas also uses this as a login port.
I have the port 9050
used.
this does not cause any problems.
because the iptv is wired to the ZTE, the firewall causes many problems.
I cannot turn off the firewall on the ZTE.
I have to learn to live with this.
I will have to place the IPTV via another router.
the WiFi signal is too weak for a 4K image. so lay cable throughout the house.
thank you all for the good tips.
I learned from this.

Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@tamme_tekkel wrote:

because the iptv is wired to the ZTE, the firewall causes many problems. I cannot turn off the firewall on the ZTE.

I have to learn to live with this. I will have to place the IPTV via another router. the WiFi signal is too weak for a 4K image. so lay cable throughout the house.

Lot of variables, one more device popping up (not on the schema), and even more challenging.

For distributing IPTV - and much more the IGMP Multicast based live TV, allowing fast Zapping - there are even bigger requirements and hurdles. This is much more than multiple routers in a cascade, and port forwarding for a WAN2-LAN connection each. And sorry, I'm concerned when people try to make this happen behind multiple routers, probably with different LANs, IP subnetworks, ...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7