Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X4S triangle lockups

JofAustin
Aspirant

X4S triangle lockups

I have a placement setting issues. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7500 router set in router mode, and 3 mesh extenders using the one network feature while separating the 2.4G and the 5g names.

the mesh extenders are places similar to the vertix and edges of the letter Y and the base of the Y is the router.

i can't get the signal to extend it far enough if I remove one, removing the center one causes the edges not to connect (mainly on the shorter range 5G) but with all there connected, they start fighting on how to get to the router, and stops responding, killing the network.

i end up disconnecting and reconnecting the power to them to get it to work for a while.

smart connect shows the different beams, but I don't know which AP is which, and afix it to that AP as a route (force outter APs to only connect to the center point before the router).

any ideas how to solve?

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: X4S triangle lockups

sadly, you've ran into the issues of running multiple extenders. 

I usually advise people who need more than 1 extender, to invest in an actual mesh system like Orbi or the MK nighthawk series. 

It includes a router that controls that setup. 

With the way you're running it and the issue you're running into, you might have to disable the "onessid" feature on the extender you want the other extenders to connect to.

Message 2 of 4
JofAustin
Aspirant

Thanks, but that beats the purpose of the extender using a single ssid. My guest network is also extended, so I can't use that ssid to 1st extender from the router. The alternative of changing the end nodes, makes it that I manually need to switch networks.

any planned firmware updates from Netgear on this?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Its not a problem of updates. 

Its a problem if daisy chaining and using multiple extenders to try to have a full mesh network with extenders. 

Its why if you read these forums, its recommended that if you're needing more than 1 extender, to get an actual mesh network. And you have 3.

The mesh extenders don't have anything controlling them (like an actual mesh network) so they can end up connecting in an improper order that isn't optimal.

will they connect and have 1 ssid. sure. 

will they work in the best possible speeds? doubtfull as you've found out

so if you want the performance that you desire, you'll need to change one or 2 of their ssid's so they connect properly. 

Or you can leave them as they are and how their performing. 

or you can sell them and buy an actual mesh system (make sure its triband with your configuration)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7