Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity Speed Upgrade

robrice529
Star

Xfinity Speed Upgrade

My xfinity internet plan was recently upgraded from 200 DN/5 UP to 300 DN/10 UP.  I didn't see any difference in speed tests, so I contacted xfinity support.  The tech did some update on their end and had me disconnect the cable and restart the modem.  My upload immediately doubled to a consistent 10-12.  However, my download stayed at the previous normal range of 130 to 160.  The tech said I should be seeing at least 230 to 240.  He ran some tests and said everything was good on thier end, so the problem must be my router.  I checked to verify that router was running latest firmware/driver.  Not sure what to do next.  Any suggestions?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

how are you testing speeds? 

What device, site, are you testing on?
Wired? wireless? 

Message 2 of 21
robrice529
Star

I use the windows speed test app or the ookla website.  Get same speeds either way.  My laptop does not have a port for wired connection, so I am testing with the wireless connection.  Was considering using another laptop to test with wired connection.  Haven't had access to that yet.  I just figured if the upload changed (doubled), I should have seen some difference in download.

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

test your wired connection. 

Many factors influence wireless speeds. LIke if your laptop has a simple 1x1 wireless card in it versus a 2x2 antenna setup. Or if theres wireless interference, etc. 

So first test wired to see if the device is getting its full speed. 

If it is, then try other devices. 

What actual wireless card is in your laptop? 

Message 4 of 21
robrice529
Star

Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC

Max Trans:  1500

Link Speed:  260/260

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

Link speed isn't the same as throughput speed (actual speed). Actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of link speed. 

And that wireless card is a simple 1x1 antenna device. So if your link speed is 250, then hitting 150mbps is right around what you can expect from throughput from that wireless card. 

So test a wired devices just to ensure xfinity is providing your full speed. 

And you can retest your wireless but try a different device.  See if you've got a 2x2 device. 

Keep in mind the link speed to actual throughput speed. 

The C7000 will max out around that 300mbps over wireless but not on a 1x1 connections. 

Message 6 of 21
robrice529
Star

Thanks for the info!!  It sounds like I may need a new network adapter, if I want more speed.  I don't really do anything online with my laptop that has to have more speed.  All my TVs and streaming devices seem to do fine as well.  Just wanted to get the most possible out of the plan I am paying for.  I'll do a wired test as soon as I can.  Should I see the 230-240 minimum speeds thru wired connection, assuming everything is working from xfinity and thru the modem/router?  Thanks again!!

Message 7 of 21
plemans
Guru

you should see it wired. and wireless, just not on a 1x1 connection. 

And you have to keep in mind the C7000 has 3x3 antenna's in it. So even if the laptop can only do the 150mbps, other devices can be used to. 

PLus you have to keep in mind, most devices don't need 300mbps. Streaming 4k only needs 25-40mbps. So with 300mbps service, you could have multiple devices streaming and still be fine

Message 8 of 21
robrice529
Star

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 720S-13ARR. 

It is running on AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor with 8 gb RAM. 

Is there a particular wireless network card that you would recommend as an upgrade?

Message 9 of 21
plemans
Guru

I put a Intel AX210 in mine so I could use 6E. 

That was on my lenovo yoga 6. 

Not sure if it'd work in yours. 

Message 10 of 21
robrice529
Star

The question of speed is answered.  I did the wired test.  Ran it three times.  Over 360 mbps download each time.  So xfinity is supplying on thier end.  If I want more from my laptop, I'll have to do an upgrade.  Thanks so much for all the information and advice.  Take Care!!

Message 11 of 21
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it!

If you mark it solved, it keeps others from trying to "fix" the problem still and might help someone else with the issue. 

Message 12 of 21
robrice529
Star

My laptop is a thin 13 inch style.  Am I correct in assuming that the network card is built into the motherboard?  Therefore not replaceable or upgradable?  I guess that would mean needing an external (usb) adapter to increase the speed.

Message 13 of 21
plemans
Guru

I don't have one but youtube shows its a network card. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytzcjTZ5PI

Message 14 of 21

Any sign of an empty m.2 slot in there?

Message 15 of 21
robrice529
Star

Haven't opened up my laptop yet.  I did research some model documentation and it does appear to have an M.2 card installed.  Also found some model upgrade instructions on Lenovo website.  Pictures and instructions match the video previously posted.  Now I am just shopping for the right card for my model.  Any suggestions/reccomendations would be appreciated.  Thanks

Message 16 of 21

@robrice529 wrote:

Haven't opened up my laptop yet.  I did research some model documentation and it does appear to have an M.2 card installed.

Installed or with a slot there for you to fill?

If you have something installed, you can't just take it out. You may be removing something important. Like the main drive. That can be m.2.

The choice of m.2 wifi cards is limited.

Message 17 of 21
plemans
Guru

I'd keep an eye out for the intel AX210. Gives you the option of 6E if you ever upgrade your router to use the 6ghz spectrum. I put the same card in my yoga 6 and it works great. (still not much benefit to 6E yet though)

Message 18 of 21

Is that the one that also does bluetooth?

Message 19 of 21
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Is that the one that also does bluetooth?

it does with mine. I had a AX200 in it and simply swapped/installed drivers. Pretty easy to do 

Message 20 of 21
robrice529
Star

I was able to find an approved component list from Lenovo for my laptop.  It listed the intel 8265 as an approved 2x2 wifi card.  The specs showed it should give me the download speed I was looking to get from my internet plan.  It was only $22 on Amazon, so I ordered it.  I was considering the AX200 or AX210, but could not find a clear answer on compatibility with my Lenovo 720S.  Will update here when I have it installed and running.  Thanks

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7