Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how to install openvpn to run from a router

rst303
Aspirant

how to install openvpn to run from a router

I am trying to set up a openVPN to run directly from my router, so I can use a single device login, and then connect multiple phones etcs to use that VPN.

Any help appreciated

thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ranchor2,

The OpenVPN will not work if the R7000 is connected to another router. The R7000 should have a public IP on order for the OpenVPN to work.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

The VPN service is not something you install on the router.  It is a feature you enable.  On my R7000 you have to log on to the router via browser and the Netgear Genie.  Under the advanced TAB then Advanced Setup then the VPN service section enable the VPN service with a check mark in the box at the top of the window.  I don't use mine for phone service so you will need that information from elsewhere.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
rst303
Aspirant

thanks for your reply.

but, i have used asus router, to do just that. i was able to enter my openvpn settings right into the router admin panel.

and every device connected to my router, was able to use my vpn settings. so i didnt need to install separate apps on each device to connect to the vpn.

Message 3 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi rst303,

Here is how the OpenVPN of NETGEAR works. Each device needs to have a software and a certificate generated from the router in order for the VPN to work.

http://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-clie...

Message 4 of 10
cancon1
Star

Stock Netgear firmware includes VPN server functionality. You want your router to act as a VPN client. You will have to install 3rd-party firmware to do this. You don't mention what router you have but if you have the R7000 I would highly recommend Xwrt-Vortex which is Asuswrt-Merlin firmware modified to run on the R7000. Depending on your router model, other options could include DD-WRT and Tomato. Any of these will allow you to do what you are asking and much more.
Message 5 of 10
odded
Aspirant

Netgear Genie Web Interface Device Configuration

Message 6 of 10
odded
Aspirant

Netgear Genie Web Interface Device Configuration

Message 7 of 10
Ranchor2
Aspirant

I'm also interested in setting up the nighthawk as the VPN router and plan to get the Nighthawk 1900. I have ATT Uverse service, so will I be using 2 routers, the ATT NVG599  and the Nighthawk 1900. Are there step by step procedures netgear publishes for starters for cable customers?  

Message 8 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ranchor2,

The OpenVPN will not work if the R7000 is connected to another router. The R7000 should have a public IP on order for the OpenVPN to work.

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Ranchor2,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7