Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi channel troubleshooting c6900

Journey321
Aspirant

wifi channel troubleshooting c6900

I have alot of wifi inernet traffic/networks near me, i have my router channel selection on auto which assumed is optimal, it is set to 1 and i am having issues because of the traffic surrounding me. My internet is haulted periodically and slow. Channel 1,6 & 11 which are the channel's i read i am suppose to use for 2.4 ghz but they all have 6-7 users on each so i dont seem to have much choice, are the channles in between useless?

Adding to that my 5ghz has similar traffic on channel 153 which i read is the only channel to use with this band?

.. I am trying to figure out the best channel to use with the traffic surrounding me and i cant seem to find any info on what the best answer is, or if there are any alternative fixes. Can some one help explain the logic behind picking a channel in this situation and any help?

thank you i am grateful for any clarification.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tlmassey
Apprentice

Automatic channel selection is usually a good bet.  The router is detecting how much spectral power is present on a given channel, and it's picking the one with the least power so it has the best chance of being heard by the surrounding devices.  It's kind of like picking the quietest room if you want to have a conversation.

The 2.4 GHz band nominally has channels 1-11, but these channels actually overlap somewhat.  1, 6, and 11 are far enough apart that there's not a whole lot of overlap.  The same argument can be made for any adjacent channels in the 5 GHz band.  Even though they have a defined frequency range, the power doesn't completely cut off at the edge of that band; it's just low enough to fall below some threshold set in the specification.

In addition to channel selection, the WiFi signals are also modulated (i.e. coded) such that traffic on two different networks operating on the same band can be distingished.  It only gets problematic when they're trying to transmit right next to each other at exactly the same time... but this is not often an issue unless you're living in a packed high-rise apartment building in a big city.  I can see ~30 of my neighbors' networks at any given time and don't have connectivity issues.

Also, 5 GHz channels tend to do better in congested areas, and I don't think you need to feel tied to channel 153.  The eight standard channel options avaialble on my router (in the US) are all identical according to the channel specifications listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac)

In general, 5 GHz channels have better rejection (better isolation from neighboring channels) than their 2.4 GHz counterparts.

As far as the logic of picking a channel, if you don't think the channel you're using is providing the best performance, and automatic selection isn't doing it for you, try changing it up and see if it gets better.

Another thing that may help is making sure your router isn't sitting on the floor.  Elevating it just a foot or two will help considerably.  Also, make sure it's not laying on its side.  If it's meant to stand up, the antennas are probably oriented along its height, and won't perform as well they're sideways.  The radiation pattern of dipole antennas (the kind of antennas in most routers) is kind of a flat disc/donut shape, and you want to be in roughly the same plane as that disc.  A picture of what I'm describing poorly, where your antenna would be along the z-axis:

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/norm3D1lam.jpg

This is all getting off on a tangent... just another thing to check if you're having trouble with a weak signal getting swallowed up by your neighbors.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
tlmassey
Apprentice

Automatic channel selection is usually a good bet.  The router is detecting how much spectral power is present on a given channel, and it's picking the one with the least power so it has the best chance of being heard by the surrounding devices.  It's kind of like picking the quietest room if you want to have a conversation.

The 2.4 GHz band nominally has channels 1-11, but these channels actually overlap somewhat.  1, 6, and 11 are far enough apart that there's not a whole lot of overlap.  The same argument can be made for any adjacent channels in the 5 GHz band.  Even though they have a defined frequency range, the power doesn't completely cut off at the edge of that band; it's just low enough to fall below some threshold set in the specification.

In addition to channel selection, the WiFi signals are also modulated (i.e. coded) such that traffic on two different networks operating on the same band can be distingished.  It only gets problematic when they're trying to transmit right next to each other at exactly the same time... but this is not often an issue unless you're living in a packed high-rise apartment building in a big city.  I can see ~30 of my neighbors' networks at any given time and don't have connectivity issues.

Also, 5 GHz channels tend to do better in congested areas, and I don't think you need to feel tied to channel 153.  The eight standard channel options avaialble on my router (in the US) are all identical according to the channel specifications listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac)

In general, 5 GHz channels have better rejection (better isolation from neighboring channels) than their 2.4 GHz counterparts.

As far as the logic of picking a channel, if you don't think the channel you're using is providing the best performance, and automatic selection isn't doing it for you, try changing it up and see if it gets better.

Another thing that may help is making sure your router isn't sitting on the floor.  Elevating it just a foot or two will help considerably.  Also, make sure it's not laying on its side.  If it's meant to stand up, the antennas are probably oriented along its height, and won't perform as well they're sideways.  The radiation pattern of dipole antennas (the kind of antennas in most routers) is kind of a flat disc/donut shape, and you want to be in roughly the same plane as that disc.  A picture of what I'm describing poorly, where your antenna would be along the z-axis:

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/norm3D1lam.jpg

This is all getting off on a tangent... just another thing to check if you're having trouble with a weak signal getting swallowed up by your neighbors.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
Journey321
Aspirant

Wow, i cant thank you enough. That gets me to wrap my head around it perfectly. I have never ask questions as i typically try to figure it out on my own since  never seem to have time for this but i am plesently suprised with your help. Thank you again, i am sure you have other things to do so i am grateful for your response! Happy new year and thank you again! 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7