Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk Mesh MK62 Dropping Internet Connection

Retired_Member
Not applicable

case:43045786 

shuold have as well logs already delivered...collecting more information.

So far logs for DHCP issues (probably MS60 related) as well as total loss of internet (reboot necessary) waiting for airplay and streaming as well to stop to pass on logs...

Message 76 of 141
HackedReactor
Aspirant

@mjcalabreseHey! Thanks for reaching out. So it sometimes reconnects and drops back when im close to the router. I saw your message for the escalation. I hope the problem gets resolved.

Message 77 of 141
arvinz
Tutor

Hi guys, I noticed a new firmware update: V1.0.4.98

Anyone updated and having a better experience? 

Message 78 of 141
Cletus
Guide

@mjcalabrese great news we hope. keep us up to date on this as I doubt Netgear will reach out to us.

So I'm on my second set of h/w. The previous device had a fault, red light on the front, and Netgear took it back. Original problems no fix. I currently have the same issues but even worse. Lots of dropped connections on all devices. I can be within 10 feet of the device and no connection.

So I tool a look at a Wifi analyzer and I do not see signal for periods of time. Nothing. I've tried a couple of apps on my phone and they are the same. Could we be dropping connection because the wifi signal is gone???

Message 79 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@arvinz. Been on that version for about a week now. No change. Since I’ve been running in debug mode though, no incidents.
Message 80 of 141
erlewis5x
Aspirant

Debug mode?  Please share!  😉

Message 81 of 141
Retired_Member
Not applicable

IP/debug.htm

and hit start or activate logs from beginning...

Message 82 of 141
Andrew2215
Aspirant

Very frustrating that my devices (windows, iPhone and linux) keep dropping internet connection randomly, even though the WiFi connection is consistent. The Android works fine.

I just set this up yesterday so firmware was just updated and this is happening when the devices are all in the same room if the house, no more than 20 feet from the main router.

Any help would be helpful.
Message 83 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

Forget this worthless system and buy the Amazon Eero mesh system. It works flawlessly for $250 for the base model. The Pro version is even better!!!
Message 84 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@Andrew2215 - this happens on the MR60 too? I was thinking of swapping the two devices but I need a second Ethernet cable (to connect to the cable modem). I cannot move the modem.

What I was seeing up to this weekend was the MS60 is changing 5.0 GHz channels from what I have set on the MR60. I changed the MR60 into the lower channels now (40) and its been “sort of” more stable.

I still want to blame this on my DIRECTV HS17 (Genie2)’s Wireless Video Bridge, but I doubt we all have this same issue too. I have AT&T swapping out my last C61W box next week to try to eliminate that as an interference issue.
Message 85 of 141
Andrew2215
Aspirant

Thank you. I am very seriously considering that, seeing that so many folks are having the same issue since Feb.
Message 86 of 141
Andrew2215
Aspirant

@MJCalbrese. I have tried everything including sync changes and channel combinations. It refuses to behave with any except my Samsung

Unless anyone from Netgear product suport helps fix this, this is going back tonight and I am formally letting Costco and Amazon know that this is a faulty equipment and should be sold with a warning.
Message 87 of 141
rukpat
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Bought the router from Netgear store last week.

Have disabled AX and Traffic Monitoring, now after reading this post?

Will that work? Let you know if it works...

Message 88 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

Traffic Monitoring? Not sure that is what you want to disable. I dropped AX and Implicit BEAMFORMING (signal boosting) so the two units would not interfere with each other.

I am experimenting now. I pulled a second Ethernet cable yesterday and swapped my MR60 and MS60. The MR60 is now on the main floor (cable modem/Internet is still in the bonus room) ... I am hoping that this now makes the Satellite just that (instead of handling the bulk of the wireless traffic in the house).
Message 89 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@Cletus.
Sounds about right, but in my case it’s the 5.0GHz signal that drops and I think it’s the individual device’s ability to swap down to the 2.4GHz band that may be the issue.

Could it be that in most of our cases here that we're having interference issues in the 5.0GHz range? When I am having issues, I tend to see no 5.0GHz attached devices on the satellite.
Message 90 of 141
Arvle
Aspirant

SOLUTION FOUND: Why keep wasting time with this boat anchor??? I replaced mine with Amazon Eero basic 3-unit mesh and have not had one problem. Solved permanently!!!!
Message 91 of 141
lucasjohnston
Aspirant

Having the same issue - wifi keeps dropping off randomly, have to reconnect. It's a bit tedious.

Earlier today my mac started complaining there was no wifi too but all other devices were fine, almost as if someone had turned off access (checked the app, they hadn't). Only got it a couple days back from Amazon, am considering returning it to get an Eero or other mesh system 😞

Message 92 of 141
HackedReactor
Aspirant

So I ended up returning this router mesh system back to Amazon and picked up the Google Nest Wifi, which has been pretty solid so far. Google store had a two piece set for 260. I wanted to stick out with this Nighthawk product because of the feature and configuration abilities but the drops made it frustrating. It was good over the weekend and then the connection started dropping again. I wanted to give it a chance but my parents were complaining so I went with Google, even though its a bit pricier.

I would check out Google Nest, its more of a consumer product with not that much configuration options but it does the job and fast upload and download speeds.

Message 93 of 141
rukpat
Aspirant

I am going to do the same it is piece of crap.
So frustrated, on a one hour con call it drops connection for about 10 to 20 seconds above 3 to 4 times.
Message 94 of 141
Spikemustang
Aspirant

I agree, I am at the end of my rope with it.  Thankfully I bought it through Costco so they generally will take back anything with or without a box.  This seems like due to the lack of inaction on Netgear's part, and the repeated suggestion of turning off the very thing that most everyone was buying this for as a solution, its broaching on class action lawsuit territory.  Who knows how many people bought this, encountered the same issues, given just horrible customer support for it, told to shut off the whole reason the product stood out for as a fix, has not corrected the issue since its release and from all outwards appearances has no intention of doing so, and waited and waited that they are not outside of a return window to get their money back and now have a paper weight that is next to useless so are just out the money.  Mine now, just drops the satellites completely about every two days and I have to reboot the router and it may or may not pick them back up and then requires a couple reboots is really pissing me off since it drops the connections to tvs that use the satellites.  Then compound that with the fact any PDA device if you change rooms it immediately loses the internet connection, and I either have to restart the device, or again reboot the router to get it to pick it back up again.

As long as I have been working with computers and routers I have never seen such a pile of garbage as this is.  It literally appears that this was massively rushed to market to "get an edge" and screw the customer on fixiing it or even ensuring in the first place that it actually functioned was the goal in order to boost share value or gain market, which again seems like false advertising and and fraud.  This could easily fall under Defective Product, False or Misleading Advertising class actions, but just general Consumer Fraud seems more apparent.  Netgear has advertised this product with features that do not work, they have failed repeatedly to address the issue of the defective equipment, and all they have offered was turning off the very features that they advertised the product as having.  I am filing a complaint with my state on it just so its on records.  No one should be having to deal with this issue for months on end with no fix for it or even a hint as to a fix.  We all basically were scammed into buying something that was not and cannot be provided.

Message 95 of 141
mjcalabrese
Apprentice

@Spikemustang, I hear you. I am continuing with my open case. I was able to completely melt-down the MR60 piece the other night (now that I have swapped the MR60 and MS60 locations). The MS60 stayed up this time, but now that it’s upstairs and no one is using it, it’s not an issue.

The issue has to be related to the downstairs location and the number of devices I have connected (30+) to the router.

I continue to work on debug logs and work with the Level2 support engineer—I want to help fix this now- I’m too far in.
Message 96 of 141
rukpat
Aspirant

Spoke to the tech support.

Got me to change

Basic->Wireless                  2.5G Channel: from Auto to 9

Advanced->advance setup->wireless setup      CTS/RTS from 2372 to 2301

Advanced->Setup->WAN   MTU from 1500 to 1492

Waiting for a day to test and see.

Has any one tried and did it help?

Message 97 of 141
Spikemustang
Aspirant

Yeah I have tried this already, doesn't work.

Message 98 of 141
rukpat
Aspirant

Tried it did not work.

The tech person called now what me to change
1) the MTU to 1468
2) reserve the IP address assigned by the model to MK62. Make it static. 

Gave me some logic on 3 bytes packet size on layer 3 when MK62 is connected to a Modem why MTU needs to be 1468.

Any one tried it will it work?

I wonder why all the netgear experts are not looking at this thread and providing answer to everyone here.

Message 99 of 141
NachoDR
Aspirant

Hi I have the same problem that i can only solve by rebooting the satellite. did the changes work?

Message 100 of 141
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7