Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk mesh slow speed

Spydrjon
Follower

Nighthawk mesh slow speed

I have installed a new nighthawk WiFi 6 mesh router with 1 satellite. I am getting great speed on speed test from the fiber, but the WiFi speeds SUCK. when I look at the network map, everything seems to be connecting to the satellite and nothing to the router. See picture file. How do I get the router to share the load?
Message 1 of 79
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Spydrjon, 

Welcome to the community!  Ultimately the devices will decide which to connect to based off of the strongest WiFi signal. May you try moving the satellite to a further location and let us know if there are any improvements. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 79
Jamma00785
Star

I have been having the exact same problem. Support can’t replicate it and had been no help.

I am getting 96Mbps for the router wired, but on 8-12 Mbps from the wireless. That’s with both the satellite wired and wireless. In testing my device was about 2 ft from the satellite with clear line of sight. Additionally I’m only getting 10-15Mbps from the router with the same 2ft line of site test.
Message 3 of 79
RyanCr
Initiate

I have the same issue. I have a FireTV stick ave Echo Show within 5 feet of the router yet they are connecting to the satellite that is 30 feet away. I have 2 cameras, 3 plugs, another FireTV stick, and a lightbulb 10-12 feet from the router that are also connecting to the satellite that is 30 feet across the house.
Message 4 of 79
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Jamma00785 and @RyanCr

Please send me a message if you currently have a case with our support team. Please provide your case number and email address. I'd like to see if I can get your case escalated. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 5 of 79
Jamma00785
Star

@Christian_R 

Dont worry about me.  After lack of any real help from customer service, and then being told the only option I had was to pay to return a device for warranty service after owning it for 2 weeks, I returned it to the store.  I dont know that I will be back to netgear for a while.  

This device is not ready for prime time which is very sad because I really wanted to love it.  

Message 6 of 79
BrrZrrKr
Aspirant

Having the same problem... With my old router I was getting consistent speeds over 900mbps when wired and around 4-500mbps when on wifi. Even with my wifi6 compatible computer i get 20mbps for wifi and am lucky to get 150mbps connected with ethernet. debating on returning it as well if this cant be sorted. My phones wifi gets better speeds than my computers hard wire.

Message 7 of 79
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BrrZrrKr, 

May you let us know the current firmware version the Nighthawk mesh is on. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 8 of 79
BrrZrrKr
Aspirant

It is currently 

Firmware VersionV1.0.2.76_2.0.28
Message 9 of 79
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello BrrZrrKr,

May you try enabling/disabling traffic meter and QoS to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 10 of 79
Julia1976
Aspirant

I read you issue very carefully. Actually I have already face this problem so many time with different routers. I suggest you to do follow some key points. Place your router at the center of your working place or home. You should make sure to keep away all electrical devices form your Wi-Fi router. Call your internet service provider and make sure to have the same internet desire plan. Sometime our other electrical gadgets such as microwave or Bluetooth devices operated on the same frequency as our router

Message 11 of 79
Picto18
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue.  I installed the router yesterday an it started off great.  Speeds were fast, now last night and all day i am getting around 10 mbps instead of the 200 mbps I should be getting.  Upload is fine.  No settings were changed it doesn't make sense.  Firmware is up to date.  

Message 12 of 79
araghava
Star

I'm on firmware version V1.0.4.92_2.0.38 and the system is working much better.

Message 13 of 79
SKR2710
Aspirant

I have the same problem after spending hours and hours with Netgear customer service they told me to return the device. 

My Modem gets 500Mbps + speed and with hard wired to router its only 200Mbps, its 500Mps on Iphone when am in front of the router once go farther the speed on iPhone varies from 50-100mbps. I couldn't understand what is the use of the satellite then if wifi speed is downgraded significantly when you are away from the router and closure to the satellite. My firmware is up to date. 

@araghava wrote:

I'm on firmware version V1.0.4.92_2.0.38 and the system is working much better.

Message 14 of 79
SKR2710
Aspirant

Has this issue been resolved for anyone? What was the resolution?

Message 15 of 79
jjjjj666
Aspirant

I have the same problem of slow speed!  It sucks given how much I spent on this device!!

Message 16 of 79
jjjjj666
Aspirant

I have tried everything possible to fix the problem, spending so much of my time.  But the problem persists!!  I will have to return the device, and let all my firends know my unsatisfactory experience with it!!!!

Meanwile, I would question why the stores, such as Costco and Bestbuy, are still carrying this defective product!!

Message 17 of 79
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk Community, 

I would suggest opening a ticket with our support team to have the issue investigated.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 18 of 79
Jamma00785
Star

@christian

Many of us have done that and the only answer we get is to disable the ax band. Which helps but defeats the point of an ax router
Message 19 of 79
SKR2710
Aspirant

The support team couldn't resolve

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Nighthawk Community, 

I would suggest opening a ticket with our support team to have the issue investigated.

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

The support technician asked to return the product. They recommend to change MTU from 1500 to 1492 and disable the AX feature which helps a little bit. However, the wifi speed is too slow. I have my ISP technician coming in to check all the wires etc and from ISP cable to modem speed is 550mbs, from Modem to router test is 550mbs. However, on wifi it's only 100mbs if you are few feet from the router and it decreases further to 20-30mbs. I have two satellites  in the 2000sqft home.

Working with Netgear technicians takes a lot of time as they suggest basic troubleshooting. Is it possible to recommend a few setting changes here so we can try on our end before calling your technician?

Are the ORBI RBK23 AC2200 system is better than MR60? I am planning to replace MR60 with Orbi RBK23 if my problem cannot be fixed.

Message 20 of 79
ecaricato
Aspirant

Same problem here.  MK-63 wifi 6 router with 2 satellites.  I'm getting 230-250Mbps at the router and 70-100Mbps on all my wifi devices.  Also some 5G devices connect on the 2G band.  So basically it slowed down all my devices that did not have a problem and only marginally improved the devices in the remote corners of my home.  I'm returning it tomorrow.

Message 21 of 79
kest86
Aspirant

I am experiencing speed issues also - super slow Eternet Speeds - just does not make any sense that my Wifi is now faster than a direct Ethernet Connection.  I haven't even had this system a week and it has been nothing but problems.

I have a case # : 43308134

I called Netgear numerous times...the first time the "Expert" hung up on me - purposely.  When I called back the next day, I was told that the "Expert" was accidentally disconnected and that he called me back numerous times but I did not answer - this is completely a LIE.  No one from Netgear ever called me back.  Today I bounced between three "Experts" and 90 minutes of hold time and no help whatsoever.

I am starting to think it's time to give up on Netgear - starting to look at the Orbi.

Message 22 of 79
edrios
Star

I purchased the NightHawk system with 2 remotes. I also noticed the speed problem with the magical number of 96 Mbps as reported above. But I only noticed the problem when doing a speed test from a laptop conntected directly to the Ethernet port of one of the sattelite units. I tried about three computers from the same Ethernet port, but they all give me 96 Mbps. However, if I turn of the Ehternet adapter on the laptop and connect it via the Wi-Fi, now I am getting about 130 Mbps, which is about the max I get from my ISP. That is strange, considering that the Ethernet ports on the NetGear mesh devices are 1 Gig ports and the are on a wired connection.  After doing the internet tests, I started doing also iperf tests in my network. I have a linux server wired to the router, and the same laptop I am using for the remote tests wired to one of the sattelite units. Here again, the speed test was giving me the magical number of 96 Mbps on iperf, but if I go back and connect via the Wi-Fi adapter on the laptop, I get 200 Mbps. Still not as high as I expected on a Wi-Fi OFDM system, but higher that I actually get via the Ethernet port of the sattelite unit. Being that the linux server is wired to the router, and I can get 200 when the remote laptop is connected wireless to the sattelite unit. then the Ethernet port that is having problems is the remote Ethernet port; the one on the sattelite unit. So I am suspecting that on the sattelite units, the Gig Ehternet ports are capped to 100 Mbps. Why???????

Model: Dual Band
Message 23 of 79
edrios
Star

I verified again the specs of the Ethernet ports on the router and sattelites, they are both 1 Gig ports, but in production, the sattelite units seem to be capped at 100 Mbps. 

Model: Dual Band
Message 24 of 79
kest86
Aspirant

This is not true information.  The numbers on sattelite #1 will read 174mbs via Ethernet, but sattelite #2 will only read 62mbs when placed in the same exact space and using the same exact cables.

This shows that the two sattelites are not working the same.  One is faster and one is slower.  Therefore, I feel that sattelite #2 is defected.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Message 25 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7