Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC 1200 Router Not Connecting to Internet

kaciexlaine
Aspirant

AC 1200 Router Not Connecting to Internet

We have had our R6120 router hooked up to our Easy Box 804 Modem/Router (from Vodafone) for over a year now and haven't had any issues. I've even had the reset the modem a few times, but never the router. This weekend we were doing some cable management and unplugged both the moden and router and since then we have not been about to reestablish an internet connection with the router. 

We have..

Reset the modem

Reset the router

Powercycled them multiple times

I tried to MAC spoof the router

I did a firmware update on the router to v 1.0.0.76

I have turned off/on the wifi/router option on the Easy Box 804, and have confirmed that the wifi works from the Easy Box. 

We can see and connect to the Netgear Wifi networks, but there is no internet connection.

I'm not sure what else to try. Any help would be appreciated! 

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: AC 1200 Router Not Connecting to Internet

@kaciexlaine wrote:

We have had our R6120 router hooked up to our Easy Box 804 Modem/Router (from Vodafone) for over a year now and haven't had any issues.

Two routers on a network is asking for trouble.

For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
kaciexlaine
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. We have been using the Easy Box with the router option turned off. So I dont think it would be an issue. 

I did briefly try to set up the Netgear as a wireless access point but it is still not getting connected to the internet. 

any ideas?

Message 3 of 4

@kaciexlaine wrote:

We have been using the Easy Box with the router option turned off. So I dont think it would be an issue. 

You said earlier:

I have turned off/on the wifi/router option on the Easy Box 804, and have confirmed that the wifi works from the Easy Box.

Those two things don't add up.

If you turn off the wifi/router option on the Easy Box it will not put out any wifi.

Some people say they have turned off router mode when in reality they have just turned off the wifi. This does not disable the router.

Unfortunately, nearly everything out there in Googleland about the Easy Box 804 is in German.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7