Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need the optimal MTU for my Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 router to maximize internet transfers?

Do I need the optimal MTU for my Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 router to maximize internet transfers?

I just read an article in CNET suggesting finding and using the optimal MTU size for my router to increase Internet speed. And I also found a Netgear KB on how to find the optimal MTU size for a router. Is this worth pursuing?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do I need the optimal MTU for my Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 router to maximize internet transfers?

@AM_R6700_AC1750 wrote:

I just read an article in CNET suggesting finding and using the optimal MTU size for my router to increase Internet speed. And I also found a Netgear KB on how to find the optimal MTU size for a router. Is this worth pursuing?

I read more about this topic and based on what I found out, the MTU value of 1500 which was in my router configuration must be optimal. In Ethernet II, the maximum IP packet size is 1472 plus 28 bytes overhead leading to the 1500 value. Above 1472, a ping message will be fragmented.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: Do I need the optimal MTU for my Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 router to maximize internet transfers?

@AM_R6700_AC1750 wrote:

I read more about this topic and based on what I found out, the MTU value of 1500 which was in my router configuration must be optimal. In Ethernet II, the maximum IP packet size is 1472 plus 28 bytes overhead leading to the 1500 value. Above 1472, a ping message will be fragmented.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7