Reply

Re: R7000 DLNA

mkonstantin
Guide

R7000 DLNA Enable Option

Hi all,

Perhaps you someone could point me at location of Enable/Disable DLNA server option in latest "V1.0.9.88" revision of firmware of R7000 (AC1900) Nighthals Router. I recall that some of the features got pull out of the support but untill today DLNA was working just fine even V1.0.9.88.  However as it normally goes after copying new files the ReadySHARE database got corrupted so i've deleted the fodler but now i've realized i don't know ehere to disable/re-enable the DLNA feature so firware could rebuild the database.
Looks like documentation is outdated and i could not locate this option in web management tool, there is no more Media server tab.
I've tried to shafely remove USB drive first and later re-conned it but it trigger the database rebuild.
Any suggestions? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

@mkonstantin, I didn't miss the point. I don't have an active R7000 so I can't tell if it is there or not?

 

It wouldn't surprise me if NG messed it up. Like the screen shot I posted the removed items were on that page. Some probably untrained programmer removed the function and the web page to enable it. Probably was CLUELESS as to what DLNA was so removed the whole page. Code is probably still in the f/w, but no way to enable it.

 

All I can say complaining here and HOPING NG people report this back and get it fixed is a crap shoot.

 

@DarrenMcan you get this fixed as soon as possible?

 

Your fix for now, go back to V1.0.9.42 I'd think, .60, .64, and .88 all have serious problems for many user's in varying ways.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 40

All Replies
thevines
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

I have exactly the same problem.  I suspect that the last update removed DLNA as well as the the other functions. I hope someone from NG looks at these posts and rectify the problem. I thought DLNA was mainstream?!

Message 2 of 40
schumaku
Guru

Re: R7000 DLNA

Looks to me like a left hand and right hand problem with Netgear, thier OEM, and the non-existing QA. As per the announcement and the release notes, the Media Server (DLNA) isn't supposed to be removed. It isn't removed btw on other models which have been streamlined to run Netgear Armor, too.  @Christian_R  please.

Message 3 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

Don't have an R7000 plugged in an working, but my R8000 has the same browser Genie.

 

With a Browser Genie logged into the router go to ADVANCED, USB FUNCTION, READYSHARE STORAGE, and MEDIA SERVER like I've attached my R8000 screen on the upper left.

 

Since the 2 circled items were removed, it is possible the entire tab was removed? Note the ability to name the DLNA SERVER, possible the name was defaulted now to a different name if the tab is gone?

 

If you look at the USB drive, do you still have .ReadyDLNA folder? The date of the FILES.DB should be the last time the drive was plugged in or the router booted.

 

If you unplug the drive and then plug it back in, that file will be rebuilt if the DLNA Server is running. Have you tried that?

 

There is also SAMBA access to the USB drive. Does that work from a program that can use a SAMBA server?

Message 4 of 40
thevines
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

Thanks. The media server tab has gone completely since that last firmware update. The USB .readshare folder was on my drive until I deleted it, in the hope it would rebuild itself and solve the problem. No luck. Believe this was inflicted when NG removed the tivo, etc support. SMB shows on some devices but my media streamer needs dlna! Not happy!!!
Message 5 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

Perhaps you're missing the point which is - in R7000 version the Media Server tab is completelly gone so there is no way of changing any of DLNA related options.
Also i had to delete ReadySHARE folder containing because of "usual" issue with internal NG's indexing application.
Now since i have managed to delete the folder it should have been a good hint that SMB server is working as expected.
Just FYI: i'm on Win10 but i don't think it matters.
I wont be surprised that some sloppy QA folks on NG side run some sort of Postman API only test and not a complete regression test including UI part of it. So i bet DLNA engine is all part of the latest firmware but there is no UI to it.
If NG is trying to save some bites of code seating directly on the router and why not "outsource" such indexing to extrnal app via same SMB? Let rounter rely on already exisitng sqllite database. Yes it's a not as nice of user experience as it could have been but at least it makes final DLNA server a bit mor relaible and i suspect easier to develop/QA.

Message 6 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

@mkonstantin, I didn't miss the point. I don't have an active R7000 so I can't tell if it is there or not?

 

It wouldn't surprise me if NG messed it up. Like the screen shot I posted the removed items were on that page. Some probably untrained programmer removed the function and the web page to enable it. Probably was CLUELESS as to what DLNA was so removed the whole page. Code is probably still in the f/w, but no way to enable it.

 

All I can say complaining here and HOPING NG people report this back and get it fixed is a crap shoot.

 

@DarrenMcan you get this fixed as soon as possible?

 

Your fix for now, go back to V1.0.9.42 I'd think, .60, .64, and .88 all have serious problems for many user's in varying ways.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 40
thevines
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

I suspect we’ll be very lucky to see dlna back.  Of course, I may be pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.  Does anyone from NG every cast an eye over posts or are we just wasting our time posting?!

Message 8 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA


@thevines wrote:

I suspect we’ll be very lucky to see dlna back.  Of course, I may be pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.  Does anyone from NG every cast an eye over posts or are we just wasting our time posting?!


There are NG Monitor's here. Do they see every post? Doubt it? Depends on the Subject probably if they do? It would seem to me they do reply to those that are new (zero replies) many times.

 

Are they 'Support' people, probably not?

 

I have seen them get into to threads that are getting 'long' and are clearly problems, especially with new firmware drops.

 

Many of us know the UserID's of the monitor's and some management people and will reference them in replies HOPING they will see the threads as they get notice of it that way.

 

Does it 'help'? Can't tell.

 

I have also seen instances of where the moderator's have commented they will contact support, or even set you up with Support if out of warranty.

 

Now matter what, it is the QUALITY of the Support people that counts. Right now, the track record is not so good.

 

Still, the very best way is to CONTACT SUPPORT using SUPPORT, Sign-in, then MY SUPPORT and open a CASE (if you have free time left). Only sure way it will get to Support at least. Still may take some time to get it fixed, sigh.....

Message 9 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

Even so i downgrading firmware sounds like a valid option but persoanlly i'd wait for another week or so and if nothing happens  then i'll roback it back.
I'm actually won't be surprised if it was done for a reason to give R7000 owners a soft kick in a rear end so we upgrade the hardware
but who knows ...

Message 10 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA


@IrvSp wrote:

@thevines wrote:

I suspect we’ll be very lucky to see dlna back.  Of course, I may be pleasantly surprised but not holding my breath.  Does anyone from NG every cast an eye over posts or are we just wasting our time posting?!


There are NG Monitor's here. Do they see every post? Doubt it? Depends on the Subject probably if they do? It would seem to me they do reply to those that are new (zero replies) many times.

 

Are they 'Support' people, probably not?

 

I have seen them get into to threads that are getting 'long' and are clearly problems, especially with new firmware drops.

 

Many of us know the UserID's of the monitor's and some management people and will reference them in replies HOPING they will see the threads as they get notice of it that way.

 

Does it 'help'? Can't tell.

 

I have also seen instances of where the moderator's have commented they will contact support, or even set you up with Support if out of warranty.

 

Now matter what, it is the QUALITY of the Support people that counts. Right now, the track record is not so good.

 

Still, the very best way is to CONTACT SUPPORT using SUPPORT, Sign-in, then MY SUPPORT and open a CASE (if you have free time left). Only sure way it will get to Support at least. Still may take some time to get it fixed, sigh.....


Sounds a bit too pessimistic, cheer up :-)
I'm sure NG folks can and will fix the issue in no time.

Message 11 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA


@mkonstantin wrote:


I'm actually won't be surprised if it was done for a reason to give R7000 owners a soft kick in a rear end so we upgrade the hardware
but who knows ...


If this were true,  Doing that on purpose would probably put NG out of business.

Message 12 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA


@mkonstantin wrote:


Sounds a bit too pessimistic, cheer up :-)
I'm sure NG folks can and will fix the issue in no time.


I don't think so, you how ever seem to be an Optimist. Based on recent track record of the last 3 R7000 f/w drops having problems, with the wifi and wired problems continuing across those drops. Common problems across routers for a long period of time like Access Control and Attached Device list problems, it is quite clear NG Support either can't fix something or when it does, breaks something else. The inability to even GRASP simple concepts of SMB 1 removal problem and how to correct it by implementing WSD (I worked with support for almost a YEAR trying to get that point across. All they could do is try to close the case as MS problem, and eventually to get rid of me offered to BUY BACK my R8000). No, I and others are REALISTS until NG Support can PROVE they can deliver bug free firmware that fixes problems in a reasonable timeframe.

 

Only caveat I can think of for NG Support is that they are UNAWARE of the problems (hard to believe) as there were NO OFFICIAL reports of them to them via the Support Channel...

Message 13 of 40
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000 DLNA

I have checked and DLNA was removed from the R7000 in the .88 firmware. And we are aware of the other issues that are causing disconnects on the R7000 and are working on the issues.

 

DarrenM

Message 14 of 40
thevines
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

Thanks for that. I hope they can resolve it. My R7000 with DLNA has performed flawlessly in the nearly 2 years I've had it. I realise that it not meant for server functions directly but my NAS doesn't handle music serving with my Bose Sound touch at all well and the R7000 Readshare was perfect!
Message 15 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA


@DarrenM wrote:

I have checked and DLNA was removed from the R7000 in the .88 firmware. And we are aware of the other issues that are causing disconnects on the R7000 and are working on the issues.

 

DarrenM




The thing is that actual DLNA feature wasn't really removed completelly but rather only from UI - Media Server tab is gone.
I wasn't even aware of such "removal" while running  on .88 using existing ReadySHARE database.
It could be solved but brining Media Server tab back and keeping only once single "Enable []" checkbox on it.

Here is current workaround:
1. Rollback to lats verison of firmaware supporting it
2. Rebuild ReadySHARE sqllite database and keep MediaServer enabled
3. Upgrade to actually latest version of firwmare
and this workaround sucks!

Message 16 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

@DarrenM, may I make a suggestion?

 

When you are aware of MAJOR problems with a recently released Firmware, such as this clear removal error and severe problems that many users are seeing, I think it would help keep the 'angst' level down if you created a STICKY with a clear subject to the specific router and f/w release (that  can be deleted after a new release probably). Like "R7000 V1.09.88 Known Problems being worked". In the text indicate what is known, that it is being worked on, and the suggested 'work-around' (rollback, disable this or that, etc.). You can add to that as other items are discovered. If there is a possible ship date, that should be listed as well. Also if it is suggested NOT to install it and/or disable Auto-Update if on older f/w.

 

This will go a long way to possibly having the creation of multiple problems threads on f/w and dispell rumor's and false information.

 

How about it?

Message 17 of 40
thevines
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

I've rolled back to .64 and everything s good!  I'll monitor release notes of future F/W ujpdates to see if DLNA returns.  Thanks for eveyone's help.

Message 18 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA


@mkonstantin wrote:

The thing is that actual DLNA feature wasn't really removed completelly but rather only from UI - Media Server tab is gone.
I wasn't even aware of such "removal" while running  on .88 using existing ReadySHARE database.
It could be solved but brining Media Server tab back and keeping only once single "Enable []" checkbox on it.

Here is current workaround:
1. Rollback to lats verison of firmaware supporting it
2. Rebuild ReadySHARE sqllite database and keep MediaServer enabled
3. Upgrade to actually latest version of firwmare
and this workaround sucks!


@mkonstantin, did you actually do this workaround?

 

For some reason that doesn't make sense to me? Why? Because it seems the posts here already had DLNA working before the upgrade? I would think 'rebuilding the database' would be the same as having one in place before the upgrade?

 

It is possible the .66 f/w (and maybe ones before it) did have a slightly different database format? However if this was the case there would have been complaints before that? Maybe not if when the 'change' for the database was made (in unknown f/w version if one was made at all?) it knew to rebuild the database?

 

Logic also says the 'service' has a few parts. Files to serve of course, the database, and the server itself. The database is rebuilt under many conditions. When the drive is connected, when new files are added to the drive, when the router is powered on, and of course, when the user deletes the database.

 

That an DarrenM's comment that it was removed (overzealous support person who didn't know what they were doing?) in .88?

 

I'll assume you've been telling others to do this in other threads? Have others have it working? Reason I ask is that I have an R8000. F/W for this router was supposedly in beta for a long time from some comments made. I use DLNA all the time and from experiences here, I expect the R8000 F/W to have the same 'old, less used features' to be deleted. I'd expect DLNA to be to unless it was a CLEAR error (DarrenM did NOT state that other than it was removed), so if this is a workaround for everyone, need to remember this.

Message 19 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA


@IrvSp wrote:

@mkonstantin wrote:

The thing is that actual DLNA feature wasn't really removed completelly but rather only from UI - Media Server tab is gone.
I wasn't even aware of such "removal" while running  on .88 using existing ReadySHARE database.
It could be solved but brining Media Server tab back and keeping only once single "Enable []" checkbox on it.

Here is current workaround:
1. Rollback to lats verison of firmaware supporting it
2. Rebuild ReadySHARE sqllite database and keep MediaServer enabled
3. Upgrade to actually latest version of firwmare
and this workaround sucks!


@mkonstantin, did you actually do this workaround?

 

For some reason that doesn't make sense to me? Why? Because it seems the posts here already had DLNA working before the upgrade? I would think 'rebuilding the database' would be the same as having one in place before the upgrade?

 

It is possible the .66 f/w (and maybe ones before it) did have a slightly different database format? However if this was the case there would have been complaints before that? Maybe not if when the 'change' for the database was made (in unknown f/w version if one was made at all?) it knew to rebuild the database?

 

Logic also says the 'service' has a few parts. Files to serve of course, the database, and the server itself. The database is rebuilt under many conditions. When the drive is connected, when new files are added to the drive, when the router is powered on, and of course, when the user deletes the database.

 

That an DarrenM's comment that it was removed (overzealous support person who didn't know what they were doing?) in .88?

 

I'll assume you've been telling others to do this in other threads? Have others have it working? Reason I ask is that I have an R8000. F/W for this router was supposedly in beta for a long time from some comments made. I use DLNA all the time and from experiences here, I expect the R8000 F/W to have the same 'old, less used features' to be deleted. I'd expect DLNA to be to unless it was a CLEAR error (DarrenM did NOT state that other than it was removed), so if this is a workaround for everyone, need to remember this.


the answer to your 1st question - "yes i have successfuly tried it"
that's how i've restored DLNA functionality and even more - after database is re-created you can go ahead and reapply .88

your question about logic of the approach is a bit confusing.
Of course NG's DLNA feature has multiple layers ... that's i've been doing for almost 30 years now
Anyway - UI sends HTTP request to API endpoint to trigger actual command to a somesort of worker (long lasting) process to
build/re-build database and returns result of such triggering back to UI. That worker then creates/re-build database in the background
Another API endpoint returns a list of folders and files currently persisted in that sqllite database (not even sure why NG decided to go with sqllite anyway) and etc and etc
My point is that it looks like only UI part - tha tab with checkboxes got removed but not the rest of DLNA API endpoints and workers got removed, that is why DLNA as a server works even in 88.
When i get home tonight (i'm in Denver) i'll re-apply 88 once again to confirm or bust my point.
I'll post my findings here around 9 pm tonight


Message 20 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

forgot to mention - IrvSp

please try to be more fogiven to NG folks.
I've done similar mistakes in my professional career simply because no company can eliminate from the equsion a simple thing called "human factor"
I'm almost posivite they are coming from a good place but sometimes  S..T just happens.
Let's help them to become better team instead of simplu shaming them

Message 21 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

I wasn't trying to get to the 'nuts and bolts'. Just high level, 50,000 Ft type of thing.

 

Usually what happens when one applies a f/w over another, the settings are retained from the old f/w. That is why you don't need to re-enter them. The Flash address is known, but also why sometimes when installing new f/w you need to RESET and reenter setting as the new f/w has moved them to a different address.

 

That being the case, the GUI information wouldn't be needed as the 'enable bit' was set from the prior version. Just like you did with the .64 I assume. Shouldn't matter if one was using .42 either. The bit was set, and DLNA should run. It IS possible the DLNA database was deleted with the .88, but that wasn't the case.

Message 22 of 40
mkonstantin
Guide

Re: R7000 DLNA

perhaps i explained it wrong in the first place - everything was working fine after 42->88
Howefer it's knowking issue (a completlly separate one) with the indexer proce that sometimes it corrupts ReadyShare databse perhaps because some unsupport mkv tags, unicode chars in file name/tags and etc. So the one solid solution was - drop that database all together via SMB and then disable/-re-enable media server option (as you're saying RESET that bit in configuration). so when i dopped it and went back to GUI i sa the tab was missing. that's all - so the brian is still in there but had no "mougth" to communicate :-)
Anyway. I think we went over pretty much everyt possible aspect of this issue so i'd say let's see what NG guys do now. Hope they can address it soon enough.

Message 23 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA


@mkonstantin wrote:

forgot to mention - IrvSp

please try to be more fogiven to NG folks.
I've done similar mistakes in my professional career simply because no company can eliminate from the equsion a simple thing called "human factor"
I'm almost posivite they are coming from a good place but sometimes  S..T just happens.
Let's help them to become better team instead of simplu shaming them


@mkonstantin, do you really think this was a 'human factor'? Are you considering 3 sequential firmware for the R7000 with major problems, and some found in .60 never fixed (like Wifi problems) or even made worse? This has been dragging on for a LONG period.

 

Did you even work with NG Support? I did for almost a YEAR on the SMB 1 problem. I proved to them that W10's removal of SMB 1 (actually depricated in the Creator Edition V1703) 'broke' USB drive sharing. Immediately they tried to close it as an MS problem. Back and forth we went. After 2 or 3 months I was escalated to 'engineering' in Taiwan. They could NOT call me, but they did connect to my PC, and we communicated via NOTES. They basically used a private version of TeamViewer. I led them through what happens with and without SMB 1 enabled (over many boots). At one point I had 3 Taiwan ID's attached to my PC. It took well over 1 hour, and FINALLY I 'thought' I got them to understand... very easy to do with Windows Explorer set to show the Discovery Method. Showed them the 2 PC's on my LAN use WSD and the Router, NETBIOS... and then led them to documentation that NETBIOS needs SMB 1. Finally the light went on it seemed. They said they'd get back to me. 2 weeks later I got the answer.... adding WSD to the firmware IS not in the Spec. so it will not be done! They will work with NG (this is a 3rd party I was dealing with as they do the real coding/fixing support) to see what could be done. 1 week later I get notified that since they will not FIX the problem they are willing to buy back my R8000...

 

No, this has gone on too long to cut anyone some slack. Either NG management has NO control over Support, or there are real problems in the Support process. Seems there is no real use testing, no regressions testing, no oversight either, at least from US NG management. On top of that one has to question the knowledge of the code of that 3rd party programmers. Way too many problems exist over the range of routers, like problems with the Access Control list, Attached Device List, and even Wifi stability. It appears that sub-routines for these functions are used and someone breaks it but the person fixing another router never of course touched that code but it came it, broke (I am guessing).

 

I am not alone feeling like this.

Message 24 of 40
IrvSp
Master

Re: R7000 DLNA

@mkonstantin, in the early days, I got my R7000 soon after release, I had tons of problems with the DLNA server. Using it to store ripped DVD's and show on a Smart TV. Some couldn't be played, has DUP's listed, some were missing. It took months of me basically educating them on the FILES.DB structure. I had to simplify it completely using only 2 MOV files I recall. Then dumping the SQLLITE DB and showing them what was going wrong. Got no where fast, until the connected to my PC and I started moving other files with a mix of MP4, WMV, and MOV. Then dumping the database for them to see. Finally they understood. Could a few drops to me but they finally got it working. However, every once in awhile I must rebuild the database by deleting it or unplugging and plugging in the USB drive.

 

I do have a new USB problem too on the latest R8000 f/w that didn't exist before or on my R7000. Occasionally when I power on the router or reboot it the USB drive is NOT recognized and connected. Just need to pull the cable or power on the USB and connect it again, then it gets picked up. Probably a startup timing issue.

 

I really hope that NG management gets this all under control. Makes sure Regression testing is done and has made sure the future releases are great. Yes, a router isn't a single function device like a calculator, but it isn't as complex as an OS to test either. Time will tell.

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 10297 views
  • 12 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements