Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 and R8000 Drops, Loss, Jitter, and all of the above.

BillClinternet
Apprentice

R7000 and R8000 Drops, Loss, Jitter, and all of the above.

I have been through hell and back with these routers. I started off flashing DD WRT after having issues with dropped packets or slow connection especially after being connected overnight. Everything was much better until I upgraded my speed and realized dd wrt doesn’t support hardware acceleration and I’m forced to use the official firmware again to get “full speed”. Except I don’t get full speed 90 percent of the time and I always get loss on 2 separate routers despite having 0 loss on dd wrt. I’m at my wits end with these routers and strongly recommend everyone to stay away from them and netgear in general as they appear to no longer care about their customers or products. I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to make them look bad they already did that for themselves anyway. Also heard people had to pay money for support to tell them to wait for an update. I’m probably going to try my very old tp link routers and see if they can do the job. Very disappointed and I’m telling everyone I know to stay away from netgear. Sad times we live in.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Re: R7000 and R8000 Drops, Loss, Jitter, and all of the above.

New modem and the line was checked and everything was working normally. I’ve figured out what the cause of the issues is. 1. The loss is caused by interference on my 5G Wi-Fi, due to netgear not having automatic channels for 5G I have to constantly switch it myself. 2. The bad speed and loss after being connected overnight is 100 percent a software issue and has been resolved by a hard reset but will come back like it always has. My conclusion is what was said before, avoid netgear equipment unless it’s newer models but after this experience I don’t want to deal with anything netgear ever again. The only thing that’s consistent with netgear is how every support person is persistently blaming the ISP or modem, I suppose the easiest route is to blame the other person.

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 32

All Replies
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Extra Information: I have tried every setting, I know about QOS and Traffic meter. I know about downgrading and have been there done that. I’ve been through just about every setting on every router. I know the connection from my modem and even my main router is good. This isn’t an issue with my ISP I know for a fact it’s netgear a firmware as dd wrt was much better even without hardware acceleration. It’s crazy that a 3rd party can make a better firmware.
Message 2 of 32
plemans
Guru

You put "i know the connection from my modem and my main router is good". 

Whats your modem? 

Whats your main router? 

If you're using 3x routers (main, r7000, r8000), do you have the 2nd and 3rd in access point mode? 
Or how are you running them? 

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

1. IF you're seeing problems across different FW platforms, the problem maybe with your ISP hardware and ISP signal services. Something you want to check out with the ISP and Pingplotter.com app.

2. For any DD-WRT issues you'll need to post over in there forums since this forum supports NG stock FW. 

3. The R7000 and R8000 are capable of operating at high speeds on stock FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-not-getting-gigabit-speed...

Message 4 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I have tested the connection from just the modem and everything there is good I know this is happening to my access points and yes I have them in access point mode and I know or have gone through basically every setting multiple times. I have the main router (r7000) in router mode and 2 other access points (R7000 and R8000). I have no questions about dd wrt everything worked almost perfect with that firmware but without hardware acceleration I capped at about 220 down with a 400mbps connection and that forced me back to this firmware which is very neglected.
Message 5 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I answered a lot of this below I thought I was replying to this lmao. All I’m trying to say is I know for a fact it’s not my ISP and it’s something upstream past my modem at least.
Message 6 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Connection: Spectrum 400mbps/20mbps

Devices: R7000 (Router), R8000 (AP), R7000 (AP)

Firmware: R7000 Router (Advanced Tomato), R8000 AP (Stock), R7000 AP (Stock). All have the latest updates.

Access points are wired with gigabit connections. All tests are done on Ethernet or 5G connections. Ethernet appears to have no issues. I have tried a whole different router on stock firmware to see if advanced tomato was the issue and it isn’t.
Message 7 of 32
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have the R7000 connected to? 

the R7000 and the R8000 have pretty much the same cpu/ram as each other. 

have you tried seeing if its a device specific issue? what I mean is swap the r8000 as the primary router and the 2x r7000's as access points? 

when the r8000 is acting as primary do a factory reset. During the install make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. also make sure the ipv6 is enabled. 

the other thing I'd try is using a different DNS provider than stock (for both ipv4 and 6). 

Something else to keep in mind is the r7000 was released in 2013 and the r8000 in 2014. 

You're talking about a 8 and 9 years old equipment. It was released when they needed work arounds (CTF) to hit those gigabit speeds. 

Message 8 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I know about traffic meter, QOS, DNS. All that has been gone through and I tried a whole different kind of router as my main and it didn’t get any better. My modem is not the problem at all.
Message 9 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I have done multiple resets as well. Those routers advertised much better speeds than my plan even has. This is an issue with reliability and seems to be firmware related.
Message 10 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I will check if ipv6 is enabled but I’ve gone through everything and also researched a lot. I use QOS quite often and turn it off when I want the fastest downloads. I know for a fact all of those settings are correct.
Message 11 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Sorry for the spam also wanted to add that I’ve tried all the channels for Wi-Fi and no luck. The reason I switched to dd wrt was to reduce the transmit power and have automatic channels for 2.4 and 5G signals.
Message 12 of 32
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. modem does matter a little bit. Some devices don't tolerate double nats as well. its why we keep asking. 

2. I've seen the r7000/r8000's ctf not get re-enabled when toggling qos back off when its been on. Its why if there's a slow down on those devices, we always recommend a factory reset. That clears out the setting and re-enables ctf. 

3. anything doing packet inspection on the r7000/r8000 can introduce issues like dropped packets/jitter because suddenly the routers cpu has to inspect the information. And they're not recommended at speeds over 200mbps for that reason. If you've got 400mbps speeds, its to much on the cpu and its why the speeds slow down. Plus because the cpu is maxed out, you're going to get more errors with a maxed out cpu. 

4. yes, routers did/do get advertised with faster speeds and the numbers from wifi/powerline are over rated. Its an industry wide issue. The problem is that the r7000 was so successful and performed so well, that its still sold almost a decade after release. I find it a bit ridiculous. But for many, it works and is fine. For an more advanced or user who has more needs/speeds, its not what I'd recommend. 

5. if I was you? I'd probably check into upgrading to either a mesh system (not necessarily netgear) or even check into a router only device like the edgerouterx or even building a cheap pfsense box. Much better performance and then you could use the r7000's/r8000  

Message 13 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I’ve checked the modem already everything’s good on that side. The reason I’m frustrated is because it wasn’t an issue with a custom firmware. Doesn’t make sense at all. CTF is most likely re-enabled because the speeds will hit 400 most of the time. Biggest issues are with the packet loss. If I have to reset my router all the time I’m definitely switching.
Message 14 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Most mesh systems are too expensive for me and some don’t even have 4 lan ports it’s ridiculous. Also my frustration levels rise to a new high when companies remove features and settings and a third party is able to do it no problem.
Message 15 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

I’ve double checked and ipv6 is enabled and I have a ipv6 address on a couple devices so it seems to be working. I’ll probably try resetting one more time.
Message 16 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Also I have any monitoring turned off and in access point mode netgear doesn’t allow many settings to be changed so I can’t do much there. I could maybe try router mode and set it up like an access point and make sure all the other settings are off.
Message 17 of 32
plemans
Guru

3rd party is doing it without loss because they can restrict speeds so its not stressing the cpu and in some cases even overclock the cpu. Stock firmware doesn't allow that. 

Got an old computer sitting around you could try pfsense on? 

Message 18 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Pfsense sounds like a good option in the future. If third party firmware had some kind of driver to use hardware acceleration it would easily beat netgears firmware.
Message 19 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Well I have good news. I tried flashing my r7000 with dd wrt instead of advanced tomato because I’m not broadcasting on the router anyways. I’ve ran a ton of tests and only one had .36 percent loss. Also I’m get 450 down regularly which is 50 more than my plan. Very strange, I never even reset the other 2 access points.
Message 20 of 32
plemans
Guru

the devices in access point mode shouldn't need a reset as access point mode disables any packet/traffic management/inspection.

so if the ddwrt router performs at full speed, everything else should work fine. Its why a pfsense box or edge routerx would be a decent bet for you as then all the routers could be in access point mode 

Message 21 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Yeah but netgear nighthawk routers are notorious for having to be reset because they randomly start acting up regardless of what mode. That’s why I loved custom firmware it was consistently reliable.y issues aren’t completely fixed btw I kept my phone connected and tried in the morning and I’m right back to where I started.
Message 22 of 32
plemans
Guru

And this time you're running ddwrt. 

so it could be the router or it could be the modem/line. 

Message 23 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Yeah still getting horrible connection after being connected all night. This is beyond frustrating I even switched my access points around and tried routers with official firmwares. Again not a problem with my modem when I can run a speed test on Ethernet and it’s always max speed no issues.
Message 24 of 32
BillClinternet
Apprentice

Also all my nighthawk routers have the same issue where I will run a speed test it will start off at almost max speed and slowly fall down. It only happens on official firmware.
Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7