Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 unresponsive on 2.4Ghz

ramsesdv
Aspirant

R7800 unresponsive on 2.4Ghz

Hi there

Today I noticed my internet being really sluggish, but not necessarily because of my internet speed itself. I did some digging and I found that my router's 2.4Ghz band was to blame.

Directly pinging the router on 5Ghz gives no more than 10ms delay at most, whereas on 2.4Ghz response times vary from anywhere in between 2 to 4000ms with a bunch of random timeouts.

When the issue occured I had Smart Connect enabled, so I disabled it and found the 2.4Ghz band to be the only one with issues.

So far I've tried:

• Disabling Smart Connect

• Disabling 20/40Mhz coexistence

• Changing the 2.4Ghz channel (I live in a rural area with no other wifi networks in my proximity, but I guess it was worth a shot)

• Reverting to factory settings (firmware 1.0.2.90)

• Changing to Voxel firmware V1.0.2.96SF

Changing to Voxel firmware did seem to improve it slightly, but I still have a very unreliable connection with around 1 in 5 ping requests being above 1000ms and 1 in 20 just completely timing out.

Is there anything I missed? Also, would moving to OpenWRT solve the issue?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7800 unresponsive on 2.4Ghz

How many devices do your have connected through the 2.4 GHz band?

Older technology in these devices?

Interference from older cordless phones?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

How many devices do your have connected through the 2.4 GHz band?

Older technology in these devices?

Interference from older cordless phones?

Message 2 of 9
ramsesdv
Aspirant

There's only 7 devices connected to the router,  only 3 of which on 2.4Ghz: 1 android phone, LG Smart TV and 1 desktop computer. Disconnecting these didn't solve the issue.

As far as older devices are concerned there's none really that I can think of. My microwave is on the other side of the house, so that shouldn't interfere either.

Message 3 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Android application WiFi Analyzer (open-source) from the play store could shed some light on your RF environment.

Marginal cables, Ethernet or USB have resulted in stranger things.

Do you have the latest Wi-Fi card driver from the OEM or Microsoft?

Sample ping report attached.  One trip that came in at 13 ms, everything else was 1, 2, or 3 ms.

Message 4 of 9

@ramsesdv wrote:

Hi there

Today I noticed my internet being really sluggish, but not necessarily because of my internet speed itself. I did some digging and I found that my router's 2.4Ghz band was to blame.

Are you saying that the 2.4 GHz wifi is slowing down everything on your network?

Or is it just the 2.4 GHz that runs like treacle?

Hard to see how 2.4GHz wifi could slow down wired connections. If that is what happens, have you tried disabling the wifi?

What modem/gateway sits in front of the R7800?

Message 5 of 9
ramsesdv
Aspirant

It's only the 2.4Ghz that is affected, all other connections are fine.

The modem sitting in front of it is just one provided by my ISP, but I doubt that would be to blame as local connections also are really slowed down and I haven't had issues with it up until now.

Apparently my brother used some old windows xp computer to play older games and he used it to connect to the 2.4Ghz band, so I'll do some investigating into that later tonight.

Message 6 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@ramsesdv wrote:

It's only the 2.4Ghz that is affected, all other connections are fine.

The modem sitting in front of it is just one provided by my ISP, but I doubt that would be to blame as local connections also are really slowed down and I haven't had issues with it up until now.

Apparently my brother used some old windows xp computer to play older games and he used it to connect to the 2.4Ghz band, so I'll do some investigating into that later tonight.

Are your certain the "modem" sitting in front is just a modem and not a combination modem/Wi-Fi router?  A manufacturer name and model number would put that question to rest.

Message 7 of 9
wcalifas
Prodigy

There's also DD-WRT firmware for that router. Maybe you can try that firmware and see what happens. Read the upload instructions so you won't brick it though if you decide to try it.

Message 8 of 9
ramsesdv
Aspirant

The modem sitting in front of it is a modem/router combo (Belgacom BBox3) but I have followed the manufacturer instructions to disable all routing functions.

Upon further investigation I have narrowed down the problem to the Windows XP computer. Even though it was only getting roughly 1MB/s throughput for some reason it completely halted everything on the 2.4Ghz band. After changing the original (Netgear WG111v3) wireless adapter to a different wifi adapter the issue disappeared and there's no more connection issues, so @Kitsap's suspicion of older devices was right.

I'll mark his response as the solution.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7