Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN connection drops every several minutes on my AC1750

sijicl
Aspirant

VPN connection drops every several minutes on my AC1750

Model version: R6700V2
Firmware:V 1.0.0.34
My VPN client is Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on Mac, I need it to work remotely every day, but the VPN connection drops every several minutes, the issue only happen for wifi, if I connect via cable, then it is fine, it really drives me crazy, please confirm if it is Firmware issue, how to fix it, my friend bought the router 4 months ago, yesterday I double checked with her, and she does have the same issue, so this issue looks a generic one, not only specific for my router, I tried google and find lots of people complain the same
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Stantraywick
Aspirant

Re: VPN connection drops every several minutes on my AC1750

Upgrade to latest firmware yesterday, no drops since.  I consider that "fixed" as often as the VPN would hang or drop.   While I was in the Admin panels I also changed QoS for my work computer to Highest.  I doubt that had any effect, I believe the firmware upgrade fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 33

All Replies
cl226
Aspirant

Did you find a solution to your problem? I am having the same problem and it is very disruptive to my work day. I know it must be the router because I can connect wirelessly with other routers with no problems. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Message 2 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Update the router to the latest firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038832/R6700v2-Firmware-Version-1-1-0-38

Message 3 of 33
cl226
Aspirant

I had the latest firmware already, but went ahead and installed from the link you provided. The issue wasn't resolved, I'm still losing internet connection several times an hour when I'm connected to the router through wifi. When I try other wifi connections I don't have the problem, so it must be the Netgear router.

Message 4 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Hi cl226,

Try to reset the router to factory default.

Message 5 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Hi cl226,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 6 of 33
davemac2
Aspirant

I'm having this exact same problem also.  Just bought the AC1750 router from NewEgg 4 weeks ago.  Using Cico AnyConnect VPN to connect to my office network, the internet connection will drop every 10 mins intermittently and sometimes the apps thru the VPN itself such as messenger, VNC,. etc.  Regular none VPN internet access seems to be unaffected.  Using another router I have, the VPN connection is very stable.  This is on a 2.4Ghz WiFI channel.  I have not tried a wired connection to the router yet.  I will post back my firmware ver.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 33
Jackson4410
Aspirant

I currently have the R6700v2 with V1.1.0.42_1.0.1. I keep losing my VPN connection. What's interesting is my cisco VPN will still show I'm connected, however I'm not. Soon as I discconnect my VPN I'm fine. I recently purchased the R6700v2 router and that's when I started to have this issue. Has anyone been able to solve? If not, I have to return this router and go with a different brand. I have adjusted the MTU to 1250 because anything above that I lose packets per the ping test provided in the support pages. This is so frustrating because I work from home. 

Message 8 of 33
davemac2
Aspirant

Jackson4410, this is the exact same problem I have using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN with this Netgear router.  You would think that the Cisco VPN product being a frequently used commercial product for remote business connections that Netgear would use it as part of their standard test suite for their products.  I have NEVER had an issue with the Cisco VPN with any other non-Netgear router.  Netgear quality control sucks big time.  The problem seems to have been around for more than a year and they are not doing anything about it.  My router is now sitting idle at home unplugged because it is totally unuseable for me.  My advice is to return it ASAP and get some other router besides a Netgear.

Message 9 of 33
Jackson4410
Aspirant

What's interesting to me is I never had this issue until recently (started about 1 month ago). I was using a netgear router for several years without this issue and all of a sudden it started (think the model was a N600). So I decided to upgrade to see if it would solve - it did not. Same behavior. I do find it odd I never had the issue until around a month ago. I will need to try a different brand - what did you go with to solve your issue? I have around 10 devices connected at all times so I do need a quality router but most importantly works with VPN. Seems there's others having issues too.

Message 10 of 33
DrewL
Aspirant

I have had the same problem for 3 weeks in a row and it makes working remotely virtually impossible.  My VPN connection drops out between 1 and 15 times an hour.   

I've updated firmware and restored to factory default two times.  I won't be buying a netgear router ever again after this experience.  Not worth the pain.  

Message 11 of 33
bfxzyn
Aspirant

Any update on this from Netgear? No new firmware built to solve the problem?

Message 12 of 33
sijicl
Aspirant

I didn't get the issue resolved, feel so frustracting, the firmware is up to date already 

V1.1.0.42_1.0.1, when I first updated it 2 month ago, the VPN connection can keep one hour so, recently things get worse, the VPN drops very 5 mins and less sometimes! Really disappoint at Netgear that such obvious issue could not be resolved for so long, everyone if you need remote work, please stop considering Netgear anymore, need to comment on Amazon to remind other customers.

Message 13 of 33
sijicl
Aspirant

Why you mark this issue as resolved? The problem is not resolved at all either by resetting factory mode or update to latest firmware, please reopen this issue as it bothers so many customers

Message 14 of 33
pinhuach
Aspirant

I have the same issue here. It's very annoying and disrupting.

Could someone from Netgear support give some suggestions? Looks like it's a very general issue for Netgear rounters.

Message 15 of 33
cl226
Aspirant

I ended up changing my QoS settings and I haven’t had problems since.
Message 16 of 33
bfxzyn
Aspirant

Can you let me what's your QoS setup now?
Message 17 of 33
DasCollier
Aspirant

V1.1.0.42_1.0.1

So glad I'm not the only one going crazy over this issue. Unlike others here, I don't utilize Cicso VPN. My employer utilizes PulseSecure and my personal computers run PIA Client as well as Tunnelblick. The only real success I've had is if I leave a live streaming page open it seems to keep the connection alive for longer. 

Would love further guidance on how to troubleshoot.

Message 18 of 33
initialz23
Aspirant

Yeah I'm having this issue too. I see other posts mentioned some port forwarding. Do you guys know how to try that? I don't even know what port to forward.

Message 19 of 33
cheesesteak
Initiate

Add me to the list of people with this issue.  I upgraded to this router about a month ago and experience at least ten drops per day on my Cisco vpn.  I initially thought it might be a wifi issue since my company issued laptop is five or six years old and doesn't even see the 5 GHz channel.  I switched to a wired connection but still get the same frequency of vpn drops.  Somebody earlier in the thread suggested changing QoS settings but offered no details.  Any help would be appreciated.  This router is significantly faster than my old Netgear router but the old router never dropped the vpn and I need the vpn to always be up for work.

Message 20 of 33
cheesesteak
Initiate

Of course, the day after my previous post, I noticed that there was a new firmware update available.  Firmware update V1.2.0.16_1.0.1 fixed this issue for me.  4+ days since installing it and not a single vpn drop.

Message 21 of 33

i have the R7900P nighthawk from costco using pulse secure vpn. my vpn connection on wireless 5ghz band randomly drops. At times, it happens every 10min for an hour then would stay connected for a few hours. tried using wired connection and still getting dropped.  i've given up. ready to return this buggy monster router to costco for a refund. never buy netgear again! also had uPnP issues with my cameras so had to turn that off also. why spend $$$ on a router but can't reliably use its features? and netgear support is reading some type of script coz they don't seem to understand the problem and i had to keep repeating the issue. the suggestion as always has been reboot and factory reset. 

Message 22 of 33
WillC777
Aspirant

I read your post and updated the firmware. I tested the vpn connection and it stopped dropping me so far. Before the firmware update I was watching the VPN reconnecting about every 2 to 4 minutes.

Message 23 of 33
zethuz
Aspirant

I have had the exact same problem!! I use the same router and same VPN, and for me the issue started after I updated the firmware.Disheartening to see that this issue still stands unresolved.

Message 24 of 33

I have the Costco R7900p router. I noticed my VPN dropped on any of the 5ghz wifi band but stayed on all the time when on the 2.4ghz wifi band.  My original issue was i lose internet connection maybe due to ISP ipaddress DHCP renewal but the router thinks its still connected.  Netgear 2nd level support reached out to me and sent me the beta firmware V1.3.0.11_1.2.2(test) to test if it fixes my internet issue. I installed that and noticed  my VPN became more stable when on the 5ghz band. No more dropped connection.  As for my internet connection, i wouldn't know until the ISP renews my ipaddress. I'll post when my ISP changes it and see how this behaves.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7