Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighhawk router is changing channels on its own even though I do not have smart connect enabled

brainTrain
Aspirant

nighhawk router is changing channels on its own even though I do not have smart connect enabled

I've had this router for a number of years now and about a month ago I started having a bunch of issues with connecting to it so I reset it to factory defaults and things have been working pretty well ever since. I live in a crowded area so I set the channel manually and use an android wifi analyzer to see which channels have the least amount of traffic then set it to that in the router settings. I've noticed lately that I'll get some slow connections randomly and when I do I check to see if there were more connections using the same channel I am and found that my netgear router had changed channels automatically to one of two areas of channels that tend to have a lot of other wifi signals (about 40 and 149). When I look at the router admin page the form field is set to the channel I selected (I'm setting it to about 108 since most routers are connecting to the lower or higher numbers of the channel.) I'm running with the latest fimware: V1.2.0.74_1.0.1.

Has anyone had this issue before? Given my recent experience with this router I'm wondering if this is dying and if a factory reset might help but only temporarily.

Any insights on good ways to troubleshoot this would be helpful. I don't see any info in the logs about when the wifi channels change but if there's a way for me to get access to more logs than what are in the administraion section I think that might help me dig in more.

Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: nighhawk router is changing channels on its own even though I do not have smart connect enabled

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: nighhawk router is changing channels on its own even though I do not have smart connect enabled

DFS channels can be auto-changed by the router's firmware if there's a radar detected

Message 2 of 4
brainTrain
Aspirant

thanks for the quick response microchip8! I'm not exactly sure what that means at a high level, does that mean that there's a radar running somewhere by my apartment and the router chooses to change wifi channels to not conflict with it?

Message 3 of 4
microchip8
Master

Basically, yes.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7