× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX2400 router will not connect to internet on setup

iffireno
Aspirant

AX2400 router will not connect to internet on setup

Hello,

I bought a Nighthawk AX2400 router, and I am trying to set it up.  I have downloaded the nighthawk app from the google play store.  I run the app and everything works great.  It detects the router, but the app says cannot connect to internet.

I have tried power cycling the cable modem and the AX2400 router.  I went through all the steps in the nighthawk app again, but the app still says cannot connect to internet.

I am sure the cable modem has internet.  The cable modem is a Arris TM822.  Please help.

Steve

Message 1 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@iffireno wrote:

Hello,

I bought a Nighthawk AX2400 router, and I am trying to set it up.  I have downloaded the nighthawk app from the google play store.  I run the app and everything works great.  It detects the router, but the app says cannot connect to internet.

I have tried power cycling the cable modem and the AX2400 router.  I went through all the steps in the nighthawk app again, but the app still says cannot connect to internet.

I am sure the cable modem has internet.  The cable modem is a Arris TM822.  Please help.

Steve

AX2400 is not a Nighthawk router model number.  It is a marketing label.  Please look at the label on your router and provide a model number.

Is your new router replacing an old router that was previously connected to your Arris TM822?

Message 2 of 8
iffireno
Aspirant

Hello,

My model number is RAX29.  This router is not replacing a router.  This is the first router I am putting on my home network.

Steve

Message 3 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@iffireno wrote:

Hello,

My model number is RAX29.  This router is not replacing a router.  This is the first router I am putting on my home network.

Steve

Good.  The sequence and timing of the following steps is important.

Power down your modem (disconnect the power cord and Ethernet cable to your router).

Power down your router (disconnect the power cord).

Connect the power cord and power up your modem.  Give it ample time to go through the boot process and stabilize.  The online indicator should be one of the last to illuminate.  The link indicator should be dark until you connect and power up your router.

If the online indicator does not illuminate, there is no internet at your modem and this needs to be resolved with your service provider before proceeding. 

When you have internet at your modem, connect the Ethernet cord between your modem and router, connect the power cord and power up your router.  Give it ample time to boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators to illuminate should be your internet LED.  Be patient, it may take up to several minutes for an IP address to be passed through your modem to your router.

Personally I am not fond of using phone applications to configure a router.  You will be far more successful using a real computer with a web browser connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Message 4 of 8

Hi @iffireno ,

Does cable modem assigns DHCP ip to your RAX29 or it is in bridge mode that you need to input PPPOE credential to establish your internet connection ?  

Message 5 of 8
iffireno
Aspirant

Hello, 

Thank you for the response.  What do you type into the web browser to see and change the router information?

iffireno

Message 6 of 8
iffireno
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for the response.  How do you determine if the modem is in DHCP or bridge mode.  I am new to wifi routers.

iffireno.

Hi @iffireno ,

Does cable modem assigns DHCP ip to your RAX29 or it is in bridge mode that you need to input PPPOE credential to establish your internet connection ?  

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@iffireno wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the response.  How do you determine if the modem is in DHCP or bridge mode.  I am new to wifi routers.

iffireno.

Hi @iffireno ,

Go to the top of this page to the DOWNLOADS section, put in your router model number (RAX29) and download both the installation guide and users manual.  Do some reading!  Netgear quit printing manuals some time ago.

If you are within the first 90 days after purchase, Netgear support is free.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7