× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can only reserve 3 IP addresses

Can only reserve 3 IP addresses

My router will only allow me to reserve 3 IP addresses. When I go to add a fourth, it deletes one of the 3 previously reserved addresses and adds the new one. 

Comments or suggestions please.

Message 1 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

My router will only allow me to reserve 3 IP addresses. When I go to add a fourth, it deletes one of the 3 previously reserved addresses and adds the new one. 

Do you have sufficient IP addresses available in the DHCP pool?

Message 2 of 15

yes, boatloads!

Message 3 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@Kitsap wrote:

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

OK

Some pretty standard questions below.

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/ONT upstream of the router?

What is the version of the firmware you have on your RAX80?  The "Latest" is not an answer.  Only a version number will confirm the answer.

Are you trying to make this configuration change over a mobile device or a computer?  If a computer, how is it connected to the router?  Via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet connection?

Recently, have you powered down your router (pulled the power cord), waited for one minute or more, then restarted?

Does your ISP support IPv6?  Do you have it enabled in your configuration?

For your existing IP reservations, are you using spaces or special characters in the device names?

When you last updated the firmware on your router, did you perform a firmware default reset and configure from scratch?  Import a previous configuration file?

Message 4 of 15

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/ONT upstream of the router?

Arris SBG6580-G228

What is the version of the firmware you have on your RAX80?  The "Latest" is not an answer.  Only a version number will confirm the answer.

V1.0.10.140_2.1.46.1

Are you trying to make this configuration change over a mobile device or a computer?  If a computer, how is it connected to the router?  Via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet connection?

Computer connected to router via Wi-Fi

Recently, have you powered down your router (pulled the power cord), waited for one minute or more, then restarted?

Yes

Does your ISP support IPv6?  Do you have it enabled in your configuration? IPV6 disabled

For your existing IP reservations, are you using spaces or special characters in the device names? No, but why does that matter. The user manual makes no mention of limitations for device names.

When you last updated the firmware on your router, did you perform a firmware default reset and configure from scratch?  Import a previous configuration file? I did a firmware default reset and configured from scratch (learned of this design flaw the hard way when I imported a previous configuration file with the last FW update and couldn't connect to the internet)

Message 5 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

Arris SBG6580-G228

V1.0.10.140_2.1.46.1

Computer connected to router via Wi-Fi

Yes

Does your ISP support IPv6?  Do you have it enabled in your configuration? IPV6 disabled

For your existing IP reservations, are you using spaces or special characters in the device names? No, but why does that matter. The user manual makes no mention of limitations for device names.

When you last updated the firmware on your router, did you perform a firmware default reset and configure from scratch?  Import a previous configuration file? I did a firmware default reset and configured from scratch (learned of this design flaw the hard way when I imported a previous configuration file with the last FW update and couldn't connect to the internet)

Your Arris SBG6580 is a combination modem/wireless router device.  These are often referred to as a gateway.  When you connect your RAX80 wireless router downstream, you have a LAN situation referred to as a double NAT.  The double NAT means two separate devices are trying to simultaneously assign IP address to devices on your LAN and you end up where you are now.  You can read about it here:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad.

There are several options to correct the situation.  Do a little research.  I recommend you configure your SBG6580 as a modem only (bridge mode) and use your RAX80 as your LAN router.  Primarily because it has the new AX band for Wi-Fi.

Although the manual does not mention limitations on device names for reserved addresses, playing cute (spaces and special characters) is an invitation for problems.  When you get your double NAT situation corrected, if the IP address situation is not corrected you need to get rid of any device names with spaces or special characters.

If your ISP supports IPv6, recommend you enable it on your new router.

Message 6 of 15

I already have the Arris modem set up as a modem only, so I have no double-NAT problems.

My IPS (Sparklight) does not offer IPV6 connectivity, and I have IPV6 disabled on my router.

I will go through my attached device's names and remove all spaces and underscores and will report back to this post if that helps.

Message 7 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

I already have the Arris modem set up as a modem only, so I have no double-NAT problems.

My IPS (Sparklight) does not offer IPV6 connectivity, and I have IPV6 disabled on my router.

I will go through my attached device's names and remove all spaces and underscores and will report back to this post if that helps.

Be sure and do a full power down (adapter disconnected) then restart your router after making the revisions.

Message 8 of 15
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @TheComputerHyp ,

What's browser do you use ?

Thanks

Message 9 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@iyang wrote:

Hi @TheComputerHyp ,

What's browser do you use ?

Thanks

Primarily Firefox.  I also keep IP address bookmarks in Edge as a backup.

Message 10 of 15

Edge

Message 11 of 15
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @TheComputerHyp ,

What's function do you enable ?

What's computer do you use ? 

Thanks.

Message 12 of 15
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @TheComputerHyp ,

Could you share the screenshot ?

Thanks

Message 13 of 15

I do not understand your questions

Message 14 of 15
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @TheComputerHyp ,

Can you share the screenshot picture in LAN setup page ?

Thanks

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series