× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RAX35/38/40/42/43/45/50 Firmware Version 1.0.12.120 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RAX40/42/43/45/50 V1 Firmware Version 1.0.12.120 Released

I think there already released as there is v1.1x FW for the v2s. V2s will not support or be compatible with v1 model FW. 

I have a RAX50v2. 

Message 51 of 72
snowcr4sh
Tutor

@NavierIsStoked 

Interesting method. I put my ATT router on a different subnet, turn on IP pass-through mode, turn off the wifi radio, and hook ethernet between port 1 of ATT to the internet port of the RAX. ATT router does the handshake with ATT and passes the WAN addressing to the RAX. Great solution to atrocious ATT wifi while avoiding double natting.

Message 52 of 72
james55408
Tutor

RAX50 Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83 update

After the Firmware update, I had to reconfigure the router settings.

The Guest wifi is set not to allow access to files and connected systems.
My roommates have all their phones, TVs, and Tablets on the guest account.
When they log into the 5GHZ wifi, they are directed to the private 5GHZ end of the router.

My roommate's phone was logged into the Gust 5Ghz wifi, and it was attempting to send malicious Code to my Lan PC. My firewall was blocking it and notifying me about it.

Under the Routers Config menu/access control, it shows that he is logged into the 5Ghz Private Wifi. The two entries marked in red should be on the Guest 5ghz account but they are not. On his phone and TV, he is logged into the gust wifi. See attached photo.

-----------------

Also, I noticed, that in the Email setup for the log files. When you set up the info and click on Apply it goes to a blank window and never refreshes, changes are saved but it will not send the email logs as directed.

******** UPDATE:  I disconnected the modem. I did a factory reset. I powered down the router. powered up. reflashed the V1.0.12.120.2.0.83 firmware.Then I did a factory reset. Powered down. powered up. Configured the router via the web interface. powered down the router. powered up the modem. Powered up the router connected to the modem. The guest's 5ghz wifi is still connecting to the private 5Ghz Wifi.

The Email log settings still shows a blank screen after clicking on apply.  But I waited 5 Min. then relogged into the router. Settings were saved like before. Only this time I am getting the log emails as directed by the settings. 

james55408_0-1680712819099.png

Message 53 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you take a better screen capture of the pic you posted? We can't see the data on the pictured and when we try to zoom in on it, the images get blurred and not possible to ready anything at all. 

@james55408 

Message 54 of 72
james55408
Tutor

I tried to send the photo again but not sure if it worked.

Message 55 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats great. Worked. Thank you. 

Message 56 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Which network is the Guest Network?

So Rays Phone and Ray TV, have you attempted to use the forget this network on these devices, then reboot them then have them re-connect to the Guest Network? 

Message 57 of 72
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to roll back to the firmware where it was working to see if goes back to isolating the guest network? If so I can send the issue over to our engineers to look at the latest firmware.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 58 of 72
james55408
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Which network is the Guest Network?

So Rays Phone and Ray TV, have you attempted to use the forget this network on these devices, then reboot them then have them re-connect to the Guest Network? 

I Changed the password when I set up the router. so they had to be renewed. 'RaysWiFi' is the 5G Gust WiFi (not showen). He logs into 'RaysWiF' with the password and it connects him to James5G in the router, but his phone still says he is connected to RaysWiFi.

I have not tried to 'roll back' to the previous FW. I thought I would wait until they update it again.

James

Message 59 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

I tried on my RAX50v2 yesterday and not seeing same thing as you however I believe FW and such are different from the RAX50v1:

Wire 2023-04-05 at 4_00 PM.png

I've asked someone that has a v1 to see if he can reproduce so we can get some additional information to NG. In mean time i recommend you downgrade FW if you need your other user to be on GN. We have no idea when this will get fixed and when a new version of FW will be forthcoming. So up to you if you want to wait it out or downgrade. 

Message 60 of 72
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@james55408 

@DarrenM 

@FURRYe38 

I pulled my RAX50 (V1) out of the closet this morning, unplugged my RBRE960,  and put the RAX50V1 online and configured it.  The RAX50 is using the 1.0.12.120 firmware as noted by @james55408 

I am able to recreate the issue that he is reporting.  It appears to be an Access Control Screen Display issue only affecting the 5GHz Guest Network SSID.     

If I connect to the 2.4GHz Guest Network SSID and go to the Access Control Screen, the device shows as connected to the 2.4GHz Guest Network.  However, the same device, when connected to the 5GHz Guest Network shows connected to 5GHz SSID, not the 5GHz GUEST Network SSID.

Note that the connection shows correctly (either 2.4GHz Guest Network or 5GHz Guest Network) in the attached devices screen - it is only in the access control screen it is appearing incorrectly.

Note also that I tested with "Allow Guests to See Each Other"  enabled and disabled with the same results.

Message 61 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you @TC_in_Montana for checking this.

Quick question, while your devices were connected to the GN, what was the IP address seen on these devices? 

Message 62 of 72
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thank you @TC_in_Montana for checking this.

Quick question, while your devices were connected to the GN, what was the IP address seen on these devices? 

In all cases (whether allow my devices to be seen is enabled/disabled), the IPs obtained by Guest Network devices were in the same 192.168.1.x range as my regular network devices  (they did not receive 192.168.2.x IP addresses).

Message 63 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for this info. 

Message 64 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, this is also reproducing on a RAX50v2 as well. 
We've passed this on to NG for review. 

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@james55408 

@DarrenM 

@FURRYe38 

I pulled my RAX50 (V1) out of the closet this morning, unplugged my RBRE960,  and put the RAX50V1 online and configured it.  The RAX50 is using the 1.0.12.120 firmware as noted by @james55408 

I am able to recreate the issue that he is reporting.  It appears to be an Access Control Screen Display issue only affecting the 5GHz Guest Network SSID.     

If I connect to the 2.4GHz Guest Network SSID and go to the Access Control Screen, the device shows as connected to the 2.4GHz Guest Network.  However, the same device, when connected to the 5GHz Guest Network shows connected to 5GHz SSID, not the 5GHz GUEST Network SSID.

Note that the connection shows correctly (either 2.4GHz Guest Network or 5GHz Guest Network) in the attached devices screen - it is only in the access control screen it is appearing incorrectly.

Note also that I tested with "Allow Guests to See Each Other"  enabled and disabled with the same results.

Message 65 of 72
19gr69
Aspirant

Firmware version v1.0.12.120 has issues especially slowing down the wifi internet speeds.Netgear must release a new firmware version.I’m talking about the rax50.For a long time they didn’t release a new firmware update version.
Message 66 of 72
james55408
Tutor

I just spent 3 hours trying everything to revert back to V 1.0.11.112.

I flashed the FW and it says it's V1.0.11.112, but the issue of the 5Ghz Guest account is still showing up as the private 5Ghz in the access control screen. in the attached devices screen it shows up under the guest account. It is still able to penetrate into the private 5Ghz. My roommate's tablet was attempting to send me malicious code. (Side note I have been targeted, and they keep trying to hack my systems. Tons of dos attacks/scans/floods, etc... I have changed my IP address many times but they still find me somehow.)

What I did tonight.

I reflashed the FW. I did a factory reset. Powered down. Powered up. Reflashed the FW one more time. Rebooted the router. Reset all the settings manually. 

FW V1.0.12.120 really hosed up my router. I have not tried to revert back to FW V1.0.10.110 yet. I might try that. If anyone can think of something I missed please let me know.

James

OK, this is also reproducing on a RAX50v2 as well. 
We've passed this on to NG for review. 

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@james55408 

@DarrenM 

@FURRYe38 

I am able to recreate the issue that he is reporting.  It appears to be an Access Control Screen Display issue only affecting the 5GHz Guest Network SSID.     

Note that the connection shows correctly (either 2.4GHz Guest Network or 5GHz Guest Network) in the attached devices screen - it is only in the access control screen it is appearing incorrectly.

Message 67 of 72
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@james55408 wrote:

I flashed the FW and it says it's V1.0.11.112, but the issue of the 5Ghz Guest account is still showing up as the private 5Ghz in the access control screen. in the attached devices screen it shows up under the guest account. It is still able to penetrate into the private 5Ghz. My roommate's tablet was attempting to send me malicious code. (Side note I have been targeted, and they keep trying to hack my systems. Tons of dos attacks/scans/floods, etc... I have changed my IP address many times but they still find me somehow.)

What I did tonight.

I reflashed the FW. I did a factory reset. Powered down. Powered up. Reflashed the FW one more time. Rebooted the router. Reset all the settings manually. 

FW V1.0.12.120 really hosed up my router. I have not tried to revert back to FW V1.0.10.110 yet. I might try that. If anyone can think of something I missed please let me know.

James

Please tell me how your roommate has penetrated into the private 5GHz network other than how you see it listed in the display.  The issue you are seeing is most likely just be a display issue.  If your roommate logs into the Guest Network and it shows as the guest network on his phone/tablet - then he is logged into the guest network - not the main network.   

If you turn off access control temporarily - and go back to the attached devices list (it will show differently)  -  you will see that it is attached to the Guest Network - not the Main Network.  It shows that way ONLY when you have access control enabled and it displays attached devices differently.  I have validated that is the case on my RAX50.   

Additionally, Netgear is NOTORIOUS for having false DOS Attack/Port Scan messages in the logs.  Most likely those messages fall into that category.   That is why they follow you regardless of whether you change the IP address or not.  It's happened on firmware releases for multiple devices over the years.

Message 68 of 72
james55408
Tutor

@TC_in_Montana 

Well, 'he' has not penetrated my system. He would not know how, but his devices keep sending my system malicious data. My firewall blocks it and notifies me about it. It has also happened on the 2.4GHz channel (but not as often). It NEVER happened before the 112 FW update.

Also, I just did some speed testing. I used to get 300Mb up and 300Mb down on my phone on the 5GHz channel tonight it is only 40 up and 50 down. It's about the same on the 2.4GHz channel. 

I did a reboot and tested it a few more times. and I got the same results.

I also contacted support, they were useless. They wanted me to pay for tech support when their software F@cked my router. They also claimed that no one else has had this issue. I Cut and pasted the forum discussion into an e-mail and sent it to them. -NO response.

I have yet to try to roll back to FW RAX50-V1.0.10.110_2.0.75. I simply have not had time.

Message 69 of 72
james55408
Tutor

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@james55408 wrote:

What I did tonight.

James

Please tell me how your roommate has penetrated into the private 5GHz network other than how you see it listed in the display.  The issue you are seeing is most likely just be a display issue.  If your roommate logs into the Guest Network and it shows as the guest network on his phone/tablet - then he is logged into the guest network - not the main network.   

If you turn off access control temporarily - and go back to the attached devices list (it will show differently)  -  you will see that it is attached to the Guest Network - not the Main Network.  It shows that way ONLY when you have access control enabled and it displays attached devices differently.  I have validated that is the case on my RAX50.   

Additionally, Netgear is NOTORIOUS for having false DOS Attack/Port Scan messages in the logs.  Most likely those messages fall into that category.   That is why they follow you regardless of whether you change the IP address or not.  It's happened on firmware releases for multiple devices over the years.

About the false DOS Attack/Port Scans etc... are they false if there is an IP address associated with it?

Message 70 of 72
james55408
Tutor

@19gr69 wrote:
Firmware version v1.0.12.120 has issues especially slowing down the wifi internet speeds.Netgear must release a new firmware version.I’m talking about the rax50.For a long time they didn’t release a new firmware update version.

I just spent another 3 hours or so playing around with my router. It managed to fix some WiFi speeds from the broken Firmware Version v1.0.12.120.

Im not sure if ALL the steps are necessary, but this is what I did. All the efforts were done without it connected to the Modem or switch, to prevent an AUTO UPDATE.

1. On FW v1.0.12.120 I did a hard factory reset by pressing the button. I waited for it to start up.,then I powered down and rebooted.

2. I then flashed the router with Firmware version V1.0.11.112. I rebooted the router. I then did a factory reset by pressing the button. I waited for it to start. Powered it down for 30 seconds, and then rebooted it.

3. I then tested it. I still had slow speeds and the error of the Gust 5GHz accessing the private 5GHz WiFi was still there.

4. I then flashed the router with Firmware version V1.0.10.110_2.0.75. I rebooted the router, and then I did another factory reset by pressing the button. I waited for it to start. I powered it off for 30 seconds and then powered it on.

5. I configured the router manually with a web browser. I turned OFF the AUTO UPDATE! Rebooted the router, and checked all the settings.

(note: I noticed that the WiFi had problems with devices connecting to it. Devices would end up with the Same IP Address, even though they were on different channels. A Guest 2.4GHz device would show up on the Guest 2.4GHz WiFi but it had the same IP Address as another device on the Private 5GHz channel. I would disconnect the device, reconnect it again, and it would do it again. I rebooted and the same thing would happen with different devices.)

6. I saved the settings to disk.

7. I then reflashed the router with firmware version V1.0.11.112 again. I did NOT do a factory reset, but I did do a reboot right after uploading the firmware.

8. I checked the settings, and everything was saved with the Firmware update. So I saved the settings to disk.

9. I tested the connection of the WiFi devices for a while. Rebooting, disconnecting the devices, reconnecting, etc... Everything seemed to be working. EXCEPT the Guest 5GHz WiFi still shows up as the Private 5GHz WiFi in the access control screen.

10. I powered down the modem/switch waited 30 seconds and then restarted it.

11. I powered down the router, connected it to the modem/switch, and then restarted the router.

I did some speed testing. My ISP has 500Mb UP and 500Mb DOWN. With my phone on the 2.4Ghz WiFi, I used to get around 90 up and 90 down. Now it is at 20 UP and 45 Down. with my phone on 5GHz WiFi, I used to get 300 MB up and 300 Mb down. Now it is around 200 UP and 300 down. NOTE: with the FW v1.0.12.120. my speeds were only 50 up and 50 down on the 5GHz WiFi.

I hope this helps people with slow WiFi speeds.

Message 71 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 72 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7