× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX4 RAX35

Knickerbockerbd
Follower

Nighthawk AX4 RAX35

Does this router require a modem?
Message 1 of 23

It depends on your Internet service.How does the Internet connection get into your property?

Cable and DSL certainly need a modem of some sport.

If you have an Internet service that comes with a LAN port, then maybe not.

Message 2 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

I have a plusnet modem,acording to instructions when I took delivery of my nighthaw I connect first with erthernet then reboot my nighthawk then use netgear genie or go to routerlogin.com,or routerlogin.net but for some reason I cannot bring the page up.

Message 3 of 23

@whizz wrote:

I have a plusnet modem,acording to instructions when I took delivery of my nighthaw I connect first with erthernet then reboot my nighthawk then use netgear genie or go to routerlogin.com,or routerlogin.net but for some reason I cannot bring the page up.

Plusnet, aka, BT, usually supplies modem/routers. (Does it do wifi and several Ethernet ports?) That is probably why your attempts to set up the RAX35 don't work.

If it is anything like BT's box Plusnet's thing is a pig that, unlike some modem/routers, will not play nicely in modem-only mode.

The easiest way out is to put the RAX35 into access point mode. The problem there is that you then lose some features.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But if your aim is to get decent wifi, it should work.

The Plusnet forum  if there is one, may have other ideas.

In my case, I have several BT Homehubs that are still in their shrinkwrap. I had a D6400 Netgear modem/router but that didn't work well as the front end of a decent router. So I switched to a Netgear DM200 DSL modem.Sadly, these seem to have vanished from the market, although you can get "open box" supplies in the usual places. (DSL modem only devices are now hard to come by.) I bought one recently because I have a second DSL line.

Message 4 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

thankyou very much for your reply,still trying to get the nighthawk going will work with erthernet but not wireless but I will keep trying.

Message 5 of 23

@whizz wrote:

thankyou very much for your reply,still trying to get the nighthawk going will work with erthernet but not wireless but I will keep trying.

Well, which bit of the advice you received have you tried?

And what happened?

Message 6 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

tryed netgear genie to connect to wirless when erthernet is connected but the minute I take erthernet out of my plusnet router and conect my nighthawk to my phone socket I get no connection at all I am trying to get online with wirelless connection

Message 7 of 23

Sorry. But I am finding it hard to understand what you are doing.

Take this bit:

@whizz wrote:

...the minute I take erthernet out of my plusnet router and conect my nighthawk to my phone socket I get no connection at all

If this Nighthawk is the RAX35 you can't connect it to the phone line.

The RAX35 is a router. You have to connect it to a modem that has its own connection to the phone line.

Message 8 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

Thankyou very much for your reply,my knew router is an  nighthawk AX4-4-Stream AX Wifi router.pulling my hair out lol.

Message 9 of 23

@whizz wrote:

my knew router is an  nighthawk AX4-4-Stream AX Wifi router.

That is not a Netgear model number.

Look on the label.

model number

Your subject says RAX35. Is that wrong?

Message 10 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

5UU193WWA0101

Hi my friend hope this helps  seriel number and model,thankyou for all your help im very grateful.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 23

Re: 5UU193WWA0101

@whizz wrote:

Hi my friend hope this helps  seriel number and model...

This is all getting hopelessly confusing for me. The serial number is not relevant and is not something that you should splatter all over a support site. Someone might get hold of it and do something wicked.

Quite what your problem has to do with the original message from @Knickerbockerbd is beyond me. But let's persevere.

You've been offered various suggestions. As far as I can see you haven't told us what happens when you tried them.

Let's go back to the beginning.

You have a RAX40 router that you are trying to connect to a PlusNet modem/router.

Is that correct? (You haven't told us anything about this PlusNet device.)

I assume that it is one of these:

How to set up your Plusnet router | Help & Support - Plusnet

If so, you are trying to get two routers to work together. That is a bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You have two options:

• Ask PlusNet how to turn off the router bit of its modem/router box and put it into modem only (bridged) mode
  • Put your RAX40 into wireless access point (AP) mode.

Get the manual for your RAX40 here.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Please, don't just lob in random thoughts. Provide details and answer the question's you are asked.

Or ask a friend for help.

You could also check out this place:

https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

Message 12 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

HIi there,sorry if I wasnt clear on what ive been asking...

HIi there,sorry if I wasnt clear on what ive been asking I certainly have not been working blind, and hoping for the best my knew nighthawk can be installed by neatgear genie but as I have found out its hopeless,ive done some research and other have had the same problem with the app,so to cut a long story short it is possible to install the router via routerlogin.com or routerlogin,net but the settings are to me complex,in answer to one of your statements I have to connect the nighthawk router to my plusnet router to gain access to routerlogin,com and have managed to connect to the router using erthernet,but my goal is to do away with the plusnet and use the nighthawk as the nighthawk has wireless access  sorry,its just the configuration thats beating me.

Message 13 of 23

Re: HIi there,sorry if I wasnt clear on what ive been asking...

@whizz wrote:

...my goal is to do away with the plusnet and use the nighthawk as the nighthawk has wireless access 

This is not possible.

With a DSL Internet service, you need a modem between the RAX40 and your telephone line. The plusnet, whatever model it is, is the modem.

If you just want the RAX40 for wifi, put your RAX40 into wireless access point (AP) mode.

I have said this several times already. I'm sorry but I can't think of any other way to say it.

By all means, keep asking the same questions over and over again. Unfortunately, this will not change the answers you get.

Message 14 of 23
RWiltshire
Aspirant

Hi

Did you ever get this sorted? 

I've just got one the same router and having the same problems as you it seems. I'm also with Plusnet on Fibre to the premises. Just can not get this router to work. Netgear has even just told me that it's broken and to send it back!

By doing a factory reset I have been able to properly log into the major settings instead of the routergenie setup. But just can not connect it to the internet.

If you have the answers I'd love to know.

Message 15 of 23

@RWiltshire wrote:

I'm also with Plusnet on Fibre to the premises.

How does the Internet reach you?

What box does PlusNet provide?

An Optical Network Terminator (ONT)?

@RWiltshire wrote:

By doing a factory reset I have been able to properly log into the major settings instead of the routergenie setup.

I don't know  what that means. You got in with the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Do you have the settings that you need to connect? Username and password? (If needed.) And any other tweaks to the configuration?

PlusNet should be able to provide that detail. For example, they say you should use PPPoE. Anything else?

Message 16 of 23
RWiltshire
Aspirant

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I have fibre optic cable to the premises. So the fibre cable terminates at the BT modem. From there an ethernet cable runs into the AX4 router. And then an ethernet cable to my laptop. Wireless connection works if I want to. But it's getting the internet connection to work is the difficulty.
Router genie insists there is no internet. Despite all green lights on the AX4 saying otherwise and the Modem showing a connection to the router via it's lights too.
On the laptop I have the Nighthawk settings page open. This not the auto setup wizard that just loops continually round as it trys to find a connection.
I can manually enter details. Trouble is what does it want, where? I have "accountname@plusdsl2.net" and a password.
The settings required are "internet service provider" set to PPPoE, "login", "password" & "service name (if required)".
"Internet IP Address" set to dynamically get.
And a router Mac address currently default.

That's it.
Message 17 of 23

@RWiltshire wrote:

I have fibre optic cable to the premises. So the fibre cable terminates at the BT modem.

Not so much a modem as an ONT.

I assume that you can plug your laptop into that and get instant Internet access.

@RWiltshire wrote:
Router genie insists there is no internet. Despite all green lights on the AX4 saying otherwise and the Modem showing a connection to the router via it's lights too.

Unfortunately, "genie" could mean several things.

You didn't answer my question as to how you are getting into the thing.

The GUI is the best option. From this I gather that this is what you are using.

@RWiltshire wrote:
On the laptop I have the Nighthawk settings page open. This not the auto setup wizard that just loops continually round as it trys to find a connection.

If it is the setup wizard that loops, don't use it.

That is set up to recognise many common internet services. The key word there is "common". You are using a newfangled thing that Netgear probably hasnlt seen before.

@RWiltshire wrote:
I can manually enter details. Trouble is what does it want, where? I have "accountname@plusdsl2.net" and a password.
The settings required are "internet service provider" set to PPPoE, "login", "password" & "service name (if required)".
"Internet IP Address" set to dynamically get.
And a router Mac address currently default.

That all looks about right.

As you have been experimenting for some time, it might be worth doing a factory reset and starting again from scratch.

But there may be some subtle tweak in the settings that you also have to get right.

The best people to advise there are Plusnet and BT.

This tells me that you may need to change a few things:

How to connect your broadband | Help & Support - Plusnet

Message 18 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

Thankyou very much for the reply,phoned netgear helpline,and got someone on the phone I could not understand  this person could hardly talk english plus I got cut of,but ive got a case number the place is closed untill moday I think so will try again.the instruction you have given me I will look into thankyou its not like I like to be a pest but ive tryed this netgear genie I can connect to my nighthawk using an erthernet cable from nighthawk to plusnet router because that is what the leaflet says I have to do then to connect wirlessly I have to connect a cable to my computor then log into routerlogin.com where I can set all settings I cannot log into routerlogin.com so I tryed routerlogin .net still cant log in SO I have been trying,will have a look at what has been advised by you im sure I metioned in some post,my goal mis to get rid of plusnet router and setup nighthawk wirelessly.

Message 19 of 23
whizz
Aspirant

Hi my friend,I phoned netgear helpline got some woman who could hardly speak english but what I made out was she told me my device was faulty and to send it back,she was talking rubbish the routers light are  all on she as far as I could make out not forgetting her very poor english told me to connect the wan cable into the phone socket and hey presto it will light up like a christmas tree how the heck are you going to get online without all the settings put in place is beyond me to be honest you should manage to connect to your internet using your erthernet cable running to your plusnet router but the minute you disconnect you erthernet cable and try and connect wirelessly you will be a pensioner,I will not give up as im like a dog with a bone if I manage I will message you my friend/

Message 20 of 23

Something tells me that you need to step back and start following the setup instructions slowly and carefully.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Your punctuation-free, stream-of-consciousness rant isn't going to get us very far. These things are not that difficult to configure.

The Quick Start guide tries to get you to use an app on a mobile phone. There is even a video on this on the support pages (see above).

That is the "simple" approach,  but it is rarely the best.

The manual may look long, but you can ignore most of it.

Message 21 of 23
RWiltshire
Aspirant

Hi 

I not only have been back through the manual but also has Netgear on the phone going through it. They were not able to sort it. 

The app only goes round in circles. It gets as far as connecting the to the wireless network and no further.

Connecting the laptop via ethernet I can then log in to the router directly. But the router just doesn't seem to recognise it is connected to the modem. The exact same test in the app is available within the router interface anyway. Tried three different cables just to be sure. And all of those work with the old router anyway.

Message 22 of 23
RWiltshire
Aspirant

Hi there,

Netgear reckon my router is broken. Not so sure myself.

I did a factory reset of the router using a pin at the back. Then by using 192.168.1.1 and the default admin & password you should be able to log in. 

I'll try and contact Plusnet tomorrow and see what they say but it does look like it may have to be returned and I'll try something else. But it was recommended by the resellers staff over the phone. I can only hope they knew what they were talking about!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7