× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX5400 setup?

RichieRich517
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX5400 setup?

HI i just upgraded from the cax30 after the issue it just had and decided to not go the router combo any more as its just to much of a hassle.. i currently have a 1.2g speed plan with xfinity, my current setup is a cm2000 modem and a nighthawk ax5400 router. Im a streamer and wife works from home we have about 20 connected devices with two being hardwired with a cat8. So first i would like to know about setting up the router, i noticed on the settings and advance setting a lot of the options are not enabled by default. is there any that i can enable for a added benefit or speed gain? second im also receiving speeds of around 100/40 on 2.4ghz wifi and around 400/40 on 5ghz wifi any help would be very appreciated

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX5400 setup?

What wired speeds do you see with a wired PC connected to the CM modem then with PC connected to the RAX router connected to the CM modem.

What wireless devices do you have? Not many wireless devices will ever see anything near 900Mpbs over wireless. 2x2 MIMO devices max out at around 500-700Mpbs. Depending on there design and support. 4x4 MIMO devices can support speeds near 900Mpbs and over. Wired devcies should see near 900Mpbs and a bit over. FYI, the RAX router you have only has support for 1Gb on the WAN and LAN ports so you'll never seen the ISP 1.2Gb unless you find a router that has a multi gig WAN and LAN Ports. 

Message 2 of 7
RichieRich517
Aspirant

Wired I’m getting 800/40 to 900/40 on both CM and RAX I have connected through Wi-Fi some apple products, two smart tv, nest thermostat, security cam, smart switches, and two google homes, alexa smart hub, and a couple other things
Message 3 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@RichieRich517 wrote:
Wired I’m getting 800/40 to 900/40 on both CM and RAX I have connected through Wi-Fi some apple products, two smart tv, nest thermostat, security cam, smart switches, and two google homes, alexa smart hub, and a couple other things

Based on your Wi-Fi and hard wired throughput, you have done a good job with your setup and configuration.

A better understanding of Wi-Fi throughput might be in order.  A good reference document is here:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Do not try to digest it all at once.  Suggest you focus first on the initial three sections.

For consistency, recommend you use the operating system specific application from Ookla for your testing.  It avoids use of a web browser and is available in the play stores.

Message 4 of 7
RichieRich517
Aspirant

Honestly im not that tech savvy but I say I can defend my self well. So yesterday I’ve tried it all from repositioning the router to changing Wi-Fi channels I even tried with no devices connected to Wi-Fi and any use my iPhone 12 Pro with the ookla speed test app. Wi-Fi speeds are terrible I can only get a max of 117/40 over 2.4ghz and for 5ghz max I’ve gotten was around close to 500/40 speed. Is that really the most I can get? my old Wi-Fi router combo the CAX30 was delivering faster speeds then that over Wi-Fi. I’m considering returning product and buying the M73s mesh system in Costco and help would be great
Message 5 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@RichieRich517 wrote:
Honestly im not that tech savvy but I say I can defend my self well. So yesterday I’ve tried it all from repositioning the router to changing Wi-Fi channels I even tried with no devices connected to Wi-Fi and any use my iPhone 12 Pro with the ookla speed test app. Wi-Fi speeds are terrible I can only get a max of 117/40 over 2.4ghz and for 5ghz max I’ve gotten was around close to 500/40 speed. Is that really the most I can get? my old Wi-Fi router combo the CAX30 was delivering faster speeds then that over Wi-Fi. I’m considering returning product and buying the M73s mesh system in Costco and help would be great

Put some numbers on the "faster speeds" from your CAX30, a dual-band router.

I refer you to the appendix N of the Duckware document.  Avoid the Tri-band Hype.  Sometimes the third band does more harm than good.

If you get a different system, start a new thread in the appropriate community for mesh systems.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

The 100 (ish)mbps is pretty normal for 2.4ghz. Its a slower band and is sensitive to interference. 

The 5ghz you can probably get some more speed out of depending on your device. 

What actual device are you speedtesting on? 

did you try other speedtest servers? 

How far from the router are you? (hint, 5ghz speeds drops of quickly with distance)

What actual link speed do you have on your device? (throughput tends to be that 55-65% of link speed)

Have you tried other 5ghz channels? 

Are you using armor, parental controls, traffic monitoring, QoS? (disable them for your speeds)

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7