× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 UPNP and Port Forwarding help

GM_FFX
Guide

RAX120 UPNP and Port Forwarding help

I had to do a factory reset of my RAX120 and I'm on firmware V1.2.3.28. I tried to enable UPnP but none of the services kicked in (like NAS boxes external access).

I tried to open ports for the services that were open previously like FTP 21 but when I go test it from the outside the port shows as closed. 

Isn't UPnP supposed to add the service automatically? What can I try to resolve this issue?

Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: RAX120 UPNP and Port Forwarding help

You shouldn't be using UPnP as it's a security risk. Google a bit to read why

If you're using an online port checker, there needs to be something listening on the specific port for it to report it as open. If there's nothing listening, it'll report it as closed.
Message 2 of 6
GM_FFX
Guide

Thank you, I'm familiar with UPnP, like I mentioned I have the current devices that are plugged and were plugged before the reset and all active. I did a quick test putting one of the devices on DMZ and test the ports with a port scanner and they were still closed. 

Anyway UPnP should have worked but instead it didn't open any port at the request of the device. My manual port forwarding didn't work. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your using the port before you use the port checker. The port has to be actively being used to get the status of it. 

If you set up a Port Forward configuration, uPnP should be disabled prior as well. 

@GM_FFX wrote:

I had to do a factory reset of my RAX120 and I'm on firmware V1.2.3.28. I tried to enable UPnP but none of the services kicked in (like NAS boxes external access).

I tried to open ports for the services that were open previously like FTP 21 but when I go test it from the outside the port shows as closed. 

Isn't UPnP supposed to add the service automatically? What can I try to resolve this issue?

Message 4 of 6
GM_FFX
Guide

firmware V1.2.3.28

The ONT is the latest FIOS Gigabit one, it's a small black one, not the old white wall box. 

As it turns out it took 8 hours for the ports to actually open and work, I wonder what caused the delay because with  the previous system port forwarding was instant.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Odd for sure...should be instant if there being used. 🤔

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements