× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX75 to be used as slave in mesh system

xgx13xgx
Aspirant

RAX75 to be used as slave in mesh system

I currently have a RAX75 router and will be upgrading to a mesh system and i had a thought. I have alot of home automation connected devices security cameras, stove, washer and dryer door locks garage doors led light strips and led light bulbs etc. all these devices need internet for remote capabilities but even with the RAX75 they bog down my system to my main devices my work laptop, personal laptop wifes pc xbox and tvs. so my thought is to get a mesh system then use wired backhaul to connect the mesh systems then connect the RAX75 to the mesh system and have it run the home automation and the mesh run the higher need devices. any thoughts or suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The RAX series doesn't support any MESH configurations or connections. RAX work independently of MESH systems. RAX series routers only support router, AP or for some, wireless bridge mode. Consult the user manual for modes that are officially supported by your model router. Or check the Routers web page under Advanced Settings to see which modes are actually supported. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

What I'd do? 

Setup your mesh system and connect the RAX to it with the RAX in access point mode. And use a different ssid for it. Also make sure the wireless channels are different from the mesh system. 

Then you can put your IoT devices on the RAX and leave the mesh for the higher bandwidth devices. 

I do something similar at times in my own home. 

Message 3 of 7
Kitsap
Master

The RAX75, configured in access point mode, would connect back to your mesh system router via Ethernet cable.  The RAX75 would be centrally located distance wise to feed your iOT devices.  The configuration would work well and keep your iOT devices away from your mesh network.

Like @plemans says, give the Wi-Fi from your RAX75 a different SSIDs and set the channels to something different from your mesh system.

Message 4 of 7
xgx13xgx
Aspirant

awesome this is exactly what i was looking for but ill have to google how to change the ssid and access point portions, was thinking to get the Orbi mesh system possibly still researching

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@xgx13xgx wrote:

awesome this is exactly what i was looking for but ill have to google how to change the ssid and access point portions, was thinking to get the Orbi mesh system possibly still researching

Be careful using Google for router configuration instructions.  Best option is to go to the Downloads section at the top of this page and feed in your router model number (RAX75).  It will take you to a page where you can download the user manual.  The manual is a PDF document with a good index and table of contents.  There are sections on operating mode and changing the SSID for your Wi-Fi.

The knowledge base article @FURRYe38 provided is also a good reference.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7