Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi app stopped functioning properly today - RBR750

jbrown316
Apprentice

Orbi app stopped functioning properly today - RBR750

Just today, my Orbi app is not working correctly.  And I mean it is all sorts of messed up. I found this out today by opening the app, clicking on parental controls and just hanging, it froze up the app and I had to kill it.

First (maybe unrelated), the app doesn't recognize my device when I sign in so there is briefly a screen that appears after logging in to my account that says my device is not recognized and then I have to quickly press the authenticate another way button before the screen switches to a screen with a message that I can't login and a continue button (dead end).

The bigger issue with no workaround is if I quickly press the authenticate another way button and manage to login, it shows (-1) devices connected to my router and my parental controls are not working (the screen just hangs).

I have:

rebooted my router

uninstalled/reinstalled the app

changed my Netgear password

Nothing has helped.  Note that my router itself is working, devices all appear to be connecting.  The web GUI shows my devices connected.  It appears to be this awful app that is the issue.  This was all working fine yesterday.  Of course, my support ended about a week ago, in true Netgear fashion.  Please help if anyone has any idea.

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
jbrown316
Apprentice

Just wanted to throw it out there that my app appears to be functional again.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 24

All Replies
Phyber
Luminary

Which OS are your running for the app? The app works just fine under the most recent versions of iOS on both my iPhone and iPad. RBR753 (RBR750 plus two RBS750's).

Message 2 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

This is Android, on a Galaxy S21, v2.24.0.2733 of the app...everything was working fine yesterday as far as device and parental control goes.

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

Thanks, I did this.  I was hoping someone else has run into the -1 issue with attached devices before and fixed it.  I think that is what is causing the issue with parental controls, the app isn't recognizing any of my devices.  I'm wondering if I have to factory reset, which I was hoping not to have to do but I feel like I have exhausted all other options.

Message 5 of 24
dangermoos3
Initiate

Exactly the same issue with my android based orbi as well. Parental controls not working, -1 on the device list, started 24 to 48 hours ago.

A lot of Android users with broken parental controls right now I imagine!

Did a factory reset solve the issue or are we waiting for a bug fix? My kids are locked out 😭

Message 6 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

Oh great, blown up by yet another bad rollout.  Don't these things get tested on the latest platforms before rolling out?  That kind of stinks, I imagine a factory reset won't help...not that I wanted to go that route anyway...

Message 7 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

This needs attention from tech support as I am paying for an SPC subscription that is unusable.  And to make matters worse, I'm locked out from administering any devices on my network since they're not even showing up in my app.

Not sure how to get this in front of support, but since there are others experiencing the same issue today, it obviously needs attention.

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

I passed this onto NG for review. Seen recent posts from users saying there app is now working. 
Let us know. 

@jbrown316 wrote:

This needs attention from tech support as I am paying for an SPC subscription that is unusable.  And to make matters worse, I'm locked out from administering any devices on my network since they're not even showing up in my app.

Not sure how to get this in front of support, but since there are others experiencing the same issue today, it obviously needs attention.

Message 9 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

Yes, it appears that it is mostly working now, thanks for following up.  Thanks for passing this along.  The only thing I have noticed is that it seems like my devices aren't logging any Internet history in the parental controls module even though they are online, but that's not a showstopper.  Hopefully that is the only thing still amiss...

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

I stand corrected, while all of my SPC profiles show up now, they are not functional.  What I mean is they are not controlling the devices within each profile.  If I disable Internet access on a profile, the devices within it continue to access the Internet.

It also appears that if I go directly to the device rather than an SPC profile, disabling Internet access has no effect there either.

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers and mobile devices.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of mobile devices.

Message 13 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

ok, I just reset everything and my app still does not have any control over my devices.

Message 14 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Submit another bug report.

Message 15 of 24
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @jbrown316 , 

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with SPC on your Android Orbi app version 2.24.0.2733. We understand that a full reset including uninstalling/reinstalling the Andriod Orbi app was performed to resolve this issue. I will discuss this issue with my team for further analysis. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 16 of 24
AndrewP-NL
Aspirant

I was having the same problem yesterday (Apr 9). Today I can see devices, but I cannot pause any devices. I tried reinstalling the app yesterday, and both soft and hard rebooted the Orbi.

App is running on an iPhone (iOS 16.4.1), model version RBR750, Firmware version V4.6.14.3

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

@AndrewP-NL wrote:

I was having the same problem yesterday (Apr 9). Today I can see devices, but I cannot pause any devices. I tried reinstalling the app yesterday, and both soft and hard rebooted the Orbi.

App is running on an iPhone (iOS 16.4.1), model version RBR750, Firmware version V4.6.14.3

Message 18 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

Thank you @KevinLiT , FWIW I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app today with no success.  I am still not able to pause or manage any devices on my network, even though I can now see them (I could not yesterday)

Message 19 of 24
fverbist
Aspirant

Same issue here.

Posting hoping to get notified if a useful fix shows up 🙂

good luck to all!

Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

@fverbist wrote:

Same issue here.

Posting hoping to get notified if a useful fix shows up 🙂

good luck to all!

Message 21 of 24
jbrown316
Apprentice

Message 22 of 24
AndrewP-NL
Aspirant

Mine also fixed now.

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@jbrown316 wrote:

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7