Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Blocking local network access from wireless is gone from SXK80?

cornucopea
Aspirant

Blocking local network access from wireless is gone from SXK80?

Hi, I have used Orbi SBR60 for over a year and I noticed the wireless setting in it's wireless 2, 3 both have an option to select "Allow xxxx (employee, geust) to see each other and access my local network".

Yesterday I set up the SXK80 to replace the SBR60 with the exact setup.  Everything else being equal, I've noticed two changes in the wireless settings.  There is a new "Guest" wireless besides the wireless 1, 2, 3. and each now has a VLAN profile option.  But the "Allow xxxx (employee, geust) to see each other and access my local network" option is disappeared.

Since I always used the Orbi in AP mode with my pfsense router, so I figure the VLAN profile should not be turned one as I have VLAN set up already in the pfsense.  Nonetheless, the wireless 2, 3 won't block client accessing the local netowrk, so I tried turning on the VLAN profile, and the wifi won't even connect which does not surprise me as it's in AP mode.

Tried the Guest wireless without VLAN turned on, when the Guest portal prompts password, if I enter the password, the wifi will allow me to access the local network, but if I skip and cancel the Guest portal password prompt, the wifi seems block local network as expect.

So in conclusion, I can live the Guest wireless but if I want to use the Wireless 2, and 3 with lcoal network access blocking, for example the IoT with Alexa etc. it won't block the local network.

Question for Netgear regarding SXK80, is this something you will be able to fix via firmware update soon? Again, I can only use it as AP mode, will I be able to ever make the wireless block client seeing each other and anything in the local network other than browsing internet?  I'd like to have it for the IoT network SSID obviously.

Thanks, if you can respond, I've bought three SXk80 routers and totally 6 satellites, my return windows to Amazon is by Jan 31, 23 days from today.  Appreciate if you could provide some hints before in this timeframe.

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Unless I'm completely off and lost access to reality, the SXK80 systems are fully VLAN aware, the odd predefined network profiles with these odd "Allow xxxx (employee, guest) to see each other and access my local network" no longer exists - in favor of a true VLAN capable system.

Message 2 of 8
quagmire1
Luminary

@cornucopea wrote:

But the "Allow xxxx (employee, geust) to see each other and access my local network" option is disappeared.

I think you'll find what you are looking for here:

From the Web GUI:

Advanced > Advanced Settings > VLAN / Bridge Settings

Message 3 of 8
cornucopea
Aspirant

I assumed so, the VLAN with ability to isolate clients and VLANs from each other would achieve that.  Except with my AP and pfsense (router) set up, whenever I enabled the VLAN profile, does matter it's the built in VLAN profile or newly created ones other than the "Default(1) profile", the wireless won't connect from my devices, iphone, Alexa etc. 

I've made sure the VID is the same as the VID I created in pfsense.  For the test, I only allowed one VLAN traffic going to the SXR80 AP.  Also toyed around the "isolation checkbox for the client and VLAN".  I also only tested the Wireless 2 with other wireless disabled.

It seems somewhere I've read the SXK80's VLAN should work with AP setup.  So far I'm only testing with one SXR80 (in AP mode) and one SXS80 satellite, firmware in the latest 4.2.3.102

Previously I've set up three different mesh networks (2 Orbi RBK50, 1 Deco) with own APs/satellites for the 3 VLANS out of the pfsense.  Kinda hope the SXK80 with VLAN could replace all 3 mesh networks. No luck so far.

Message 4 of 8
vt_hokie2008
Aspirant

I have a similar issue where if I enable VLAN (built in or custom added) I'm not able to connect to that wireless network. I've yet ot receive any response to getting that working.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Neither the Orbi RBK50 nor the Deco did ever support VLANs.

Message 6 of 8
cornucopea
Aspirant

I was saying the RBK50 and Deco are used for multiple VLAN managed from pfsense, and each RBK50/Deco is set up for one VLAN only with each own set of AP and satellites for wireless on own SSIDs.  This is my current setup for the last 3,4 years.  3 SSIDs each on a separate subnet, the VLANs are managed from the pfsense helped with a VLAN capable switch and the tagged ports connected to the APs.  

If SXK80 can handle multiple VLANs in a single set up, for example multiple SSIDs but each SSID is a different VLAN, and all is done in one set of AP with satellites, then I don't need the multiple wireless AP/networks setup.  Except so far it hasn't worked out.

Message 7 of 8
cornucopea
Aspirant

I use one satellite and pfsense with a netgear managed switch. The switch is configured as such.

cornucopea_1-1674321933354.png

Port1, Port2, Port3 each connected to one of pfsense LANs
and Port10 connected the SXR80 uplink port.

SXR80 is in AP mode, created two new VLAN, 20 and 30.

All 3 wireless in SXK80 are set up to use:
Wireless 1 uses Deault (1) profile
Wireless 2 uses VLan VID 20 (all open, no isolation)
Wireless 3 uses VLan VID 30 (all block, isolation).

Guest wireless is not enabled.

All wireless WIFI connects fine and recieved IP in each VLAN range, but satellite turns pink. Also I can't access the SXK80 admin page by plugging my laptop to port 4, though laptop gets VID30 IP fine.

Connected laptop on wireless, still no access to the admin page.

Now when I connect the SXR80 uplink to port 5 (VID30), then laptop can access the admin page and the satellite turn blue, but only Wireless 1 can be connected, neither Wireless 2 (VID20) or Wireless 3 (VID30) can be connected.

The SXK80 with one satellite were initially setup without VLAN and only connected on port 5 with VID30 LAN, so the IP addresses of the SXR80 and the satellite are both from the VID30 LAN.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements