Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SRK60 V.2.6.0.108 is blocking Genie Aladdin Wifi Garage connection

DJHazmat
Star

Orbi Pro SRK60 V.2.6.0.108 is blocking Genie Aladdin Wifi Garage connection

Hey Guys, I am using the SRR60 in AP mode and have been for almost 2 years. Everything worked fine with My Aladdin garage door wifi system being connected to it. I just upgraded to firmware V2.6.0.108 from V2.5.5.100 and the Aladdin can connect to the  router, but its traffic is blocked. As a test,  I downgraded the firmware back and it works fine. However, the reason I upgraded was because my Orbi RBS50Y was having trouble staying connected to the SRR60 router on V2.5.5.100. EVerything else on my network is working fine, except for the Aladdin garage door device. I've contacted Genie and they explained that the ports 53(DNS) and 8883(Aladdin) had to be open on my router. My router is a the FIOS router I've been using for over a year. Anyway, I checked and added those ports thinking that would fix it. I can see the Aladdin device on the Orbi connected devices page(I find it by MAC address), so it looks like the connection is good to the SRR60, but it doesn't get out to the internet which it has to in order to work. SInce the Orbi firmware is the only thing changing, I don't see how it could be anything else. BTW, I don't even have to power cycle the Aladdin device when I downgrade the Orbi firmware for it to start working. 

I no longer have support with Netgear and was wondering if anyone else had already solved this issue?  To answer the most obvious questions: 1) Yes, I did a factory reset on the SRR60, SRS60, RBS50Y after every firmware change. 2) yes, I am sure it is in AP mode. 3) yes, I reset my FIOS router to factory defaults and reconfigured the DHCP settings. 4)  I have 80 devices connected ranging from smart home speakers and switches to laptops and iPhones. 5) I use Wireless network one SSID for compute devices, and Wireless network 3 and a different SSID for the smart home devices. In each SSID, both 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies are used.  6) Orbi router is connected to my Fios router via an ethernet cable. That doesn't change. 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DJHazmat
Star

I was able to get the beta firmware 2.6.2.200 and install it. I haven't had much time to test anything else, but the issue I was having with the Genie Aladdin garage door opener is resolved. I think it was DNS because it was not able to connect to the internet. Other reports here indicate that the  2.6.0.108 firmware had changed DNS relay to the internet and the beta fw corrected that.

Another by-product of the firmware that I noticed is that the Orbi mobile App now works again. You can see the network map, the device list, and reboot the router from there. 

I am guessing the firmware will be released soon. 

Thanks again to @schumaku @BruceGuo and Lisa for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Possible cause is a design change on the Orbi Pro and Orbi Pro Wifi 6 which came along with the V.2.6.0.108 firmware to allow a Insight cloud management (probably also local UI) filtering URLs. In case this garage door opener does use the port 53/UDP (or 53/TCP) for strange things off the plain DNS usage, I could imagine this traffic won't pass to the Internet anymore.

@RaghuHR can you look into this with the team? 

Message 2 of 9
DJHazmat
Star

Thanks for the tip. I did a quick search and saw that others were having issues with DNS and the 2.6.0.108 firmware. I too am experiencing frequent DNS lookup failures. I'd be browsing the internet, click a link and then nothing. I'd try something like google.com and not be able to retrieve the page. The browser(Edge) would say " you don't appear to be connected, want to play a game?"  Because of that I thought I was losing the WiFi connection on my laptop. I disconnect the WiFi, reconnect and the browser page would refresh and start working again.  really anoying. I downgraded the Firmware to find that my Aladdin started working, but my RBS50Y would need to be re-synced every other day. So I've upgraded to 2.6.0.108 and will stay there until a new version of firmware comes out. 

Message 3 of 9
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

We have released upcoming firmware in beta board. That firmware may fix your issue. If you are fine to try it, please go to there and feedback

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-Beta/bd-p/en-business-orbiprobeta

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
DJHazmat
Star

@BruceGuo Thanks for the link, but I get "access denied".  how would I join the beta probram?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
DJHazmat
Star

@schumaku @RaghuHR did either of you find anything in the firmware that would indicate the DNS issue on port 53 or the blockage of port 8883 on the Aladdin device? 

I've tried to find a link to the beta firmware to see if there were changes made, but no  luck finding one. 

Any help is greaty appreciated!!

Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@JimmyTsai1031 please grant access to the Beta site to @DJHazmat  please? Appears it's a closed community.

Message 7 of 9
DJHazmat
Star

Thanks all for your help so far. I have gotten access to the beta firmware and will be testing later this week. I will post back here the results. 

Message 8 of 9
DJHazmat
Star

I was able to get the beta firmware 2.6.2.200 and install it. I haven't had much time to test anything else, but the issue I was having with the Genie Aladdin garage door opener is resolved. I think it was DNS because it was not able to connect to the internet. Other reports here indicate that the  2.6.0.108 firmware had changed DNS relay to the internet and the beta fw corrected that.

Another by-product of the firmware that I noticed is that the Orbi mobile App now works again. You can see the network map, the device list, and reboot the router from there. 

I am guessing the firmware will be released soon. 

Thanks again to @schumaku @BruceGuo and Lisa for the help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements