Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 Inter-VLAN Communication

JJJJJJJJJJJJ4
Follower

SXR80 Inter-VLAN Communication

Hello. I do not own an Orbi Pro but am considering upgrading to them. I had a few questions regarding VLANs.

1. Can each VLAN be configured to not allow inter-vlans to communicate? (I assume yes)
    1. I would want to control this access via the firewall between networks (already do this between a LAN and IOT network)
    2. Would disabling the SXR80 option to allow inter-vlan communication cause issues if this communication was managed via a firewall?
  2. What is the latest on vlan and leaks?
    1. If I have two unique SSIDs that are on separate VLANs and I don't allow them to communicate via my firewall, a SXR80 inter-vlan option is disabled, could devices see each other between the two networks?
  3. If I use a wired backhaul, can I use the 5Ghz 153 range channels?

Thanks!

J

Edit: Another question

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXR80 Inter-VLAN Communication

Hello J,

Reads to me you already have an existing VLAN infrastructure and a capable router, and intend to introduce the Orbi Pro AX .... but for what purpose exactly?

• Wireless Access Points with wireless Mesh/backhaul capability to make the VLANs available on areas where you have no wired network and intend to enhance the wireless coverage including multiple SSIDs and VLANs?
  • Wireless Access Points for a pure wired backhaul, and intend to enhance the wireless coverage including multiple SSIDs and VLANs?
  • As a fully fledged router with VLAN support, multi-subnet support, with NAT towards the Internet, and to make the VLANs available on areas where you have no wired network and intend to enhance the wireless coverage including multiple SSIDs and VLANs?
  • As a fully fledged router with VLAN support, multi-subnet support, with NAT towards the Internet, and to make the VLANs available on areas where you have already have a wired network and intend to enhance the wireless coverage including multiple SSIDs and VLANs?

In my understanding, the Orbi Pro AX in Access Point mode doesn't do any routing - so almost all your questions might be obsolete when we talk of the access point mode.

The only VLAN "leaks" as you name it came in the past (long before Netgear) from a major switch maker which has a so-called native VLAN 1 in place which allowed to trick. Then of course having trunk ports configured on user or public accessible network ports imply some risks in a VLAN deployment. What else do you have in mind?

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements