Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXS80 VLANs with multiple managed switchs

vinions
Aspirant

SXS80 VLANs with multiple managed switchs

Need some fresh pairs of eyes. After staring at this for too long it's all mumble jumble to me now. I've attached my topology.

Context: I have a SXR80 and 3 x SXS80's in AP mode connected to my pfSense router. With the help of this community, I got them all working and talking to each other. The problem now is that we're trying to extend the WiFi to our laneway house only about 20-25 feet away. Signal is fair (around -65dbm) but drops way too often especially when we have someone working from home out there. So we decided to utilize MoCA adapters to bring a connection from the router to a WiFi bridge to connect to the laneway house's SXS80 for wired/ethernet backhaul. This is where I got stuck (and I'm pretty sure it's my lack of VLAN tag/untag knowledge).

If I connect directly to the wifi bridge slave at the laneway house, I can get an IP and internet access.  But once I connect to the managed switch (to connect to the SXS80 for multiple SSIDs), I don't get anything. I get the 169.xxx private IP.  Basically unable to connect to the DCHP server. Part of the difficulty is that I have a managed switch in between because I am trying to utilize an existing ethernet cable to our TV that is on a different VLAN. 

I've attached the topology with my current VLAN settings.  I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of having the right tags/untags/trunk. I'm trying to avoid buying and installing 100'+ of cable to scrape the middle managed switch.  So if anyone can give me some guidance, it'll be appreciated!  

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
vinions
Aspirant

Re: SXS80 VLANs with multiple managed switchs

Thanks for your replies.   I actually figured it out shortly after making the original post. After a process of elimination, it turns out the wireless bridge did not support VLANs.  The moment we switched to a different brand, everything worked. So it had nothing to do with VLAN settings or the Netgear products.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @vinions,

I wonder if you ever was able to make this work?

I checked your topology, you attached...

Now, I am not sure what MoCa adapters you are using (brand / model), but I wonder, if they support 802.11q VLANs (tagging).

From the sounds of it, it doesn't... Because I understand that when you connect to the satellite that connects to the satellite that connects to the MoCa adapter, you are getting an IP, is this for all VLANs?

If it's only VLAN1, then, definitely, the adapter won't support 802.11q VLANs.

Additionally, you can use one port, and specify multiple VLANs, on the SXR router.

MikeD1234_0-1689665332448.png

So, you can specify it as a trunk port, and that carries all your VLANs. See the documentation, to give you some more detailed explanation: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SXK30/SXK30_UM_EN.pdf - from page # 88.

MikeD1234_1-1689665431694.png

Mike

Message 2 of 6
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

I have some questions:

Why you don't use 1 link with trunk to connect SXS80?

And, where is SXR80 in the topology?

Bruce

Message 3 of 6
vinions
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies.   I actually figured it out shortly after making the original post. After a process of elimination, it turns out the wireless bridge did not support VLANs.  The moment we switched to a different brand, everything worked. So it had nothing to do with VLAN settings or the Netgear products.  

Message 4 of 6
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

I am glad to hear it. If you find any problem, please reach out to us here.

NETGEAR Bruce

Message 5 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

@vinions,

Great to hear!

Don't hesitate to reach out to the support teams, or community if anything is required 😀.

Mike

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements