Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching SRK60 to Access Point Mode

htgrimmi
Guide

Switching SRK60 to Access Point Mode

I got my hands on a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and until I can get more Ubiquiti access points, I want to use the SRK60 and satellite as access points.  Couple of quick questions that I haven't been able to find on-line.

When you flip to AP mode, I assume the defined wifi networks stay? Logically yes as no way the Ubiquiti would control that.

The web interface still exists but on the LAN ip that it picks up from the Ubiquiti?

Does DHCP and MAC assignment logic stay accessible on the Netgear? 

Most importantly, does the relationship to the satellite stay intact?  I need this in place till I get mesh capable AP's from Ubiquiti.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Switching SRK60 to Access Point Mode

@htgrimmi wrote:

I got my hands on a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and until I can get more Ubiquiti access points, I want to use the SRK60 and satellite as access points.  Couple of quick questions that I haven't been able to find on-line.

When you flip to AP mode, I assume the defined wifi networks stay? Logically yes as no way the Ubiquiti would control that.---Yes. The wifi network will have the same ssid/password

The web interface still exists but on the LAN ip that it picks up from the Ubiquiti?---Correct

Does DHCP and MAC assignment logic stay accessible on the Netgear? not sure what you mean by logic assignment but you'll still be able to view the ip/mac addresses on the orbi

Most importantly, does the relationship to the satellite stay intact?  I need this in place till I get mesh capable AP's from Ubiquiti.---so long as the satellites are either using a wireless backhaul or their wired backhaul is directly connected to the orbi router , they'll still work fine. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@htgrimmi wrote:

When you flip to AP mode, I assume the defined wifi networks stay? Logically yes as no way the Ubiquiti would control that.---Yes. The wifi network will have the same ssid/password

The web interface still exists but on the LAN ip that it picks up from the Ubiquiti?---Correct

Does DHCP and MAC assignment logic stay accessible on the Netgear? not sure what you mean by logic assignment but you'll still be able to view the ip/mac addresses on the orbi

Most importantly, does the relationship to the satellite stay intact?  I need this in place till I get mesh capable AP's from Ubiquiti.---so long as the satellites are either using a wireless backhaul or their wired backhaul is directly connected to the orbi router , they'll still work fine. 

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
htgrimmi
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought I was on the right track, just wanted confirmation before I make the change.

Message 3 of 8
htgrimmi
Guide

Quick follow up, for future readers, while it did work, you do lose a lot of the nice functionality of the Orbi.  When flipping to AP mode, it went down to one SSID for 2.4 and 5. My current config has 5 SSID's, one with RADIUS and the Guest network enabled.

I did play in double NAT for a bit but the RADIUS did not allow connections. May look into that later but it obviously doesn't get me the value of the features of the Ubiquiti. In the interim, I'll just have to wait to play with the new Ubiquiti Dream Machine when I get the Ubiquiti AP's.  

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

It shouldn't. 

I've used my SXR30 in AP mode and it was still able to have multiple ssid's. 

Message 5 of 8
htgrimmi
Guide

Tried again with a power cycle on everything after switching to AP mode.

Everything is working now with the exception of RADIUS which may be expected as it is an AP now.

All the other SSID's are visible. 

I'm still going to pick up some Ubiquiti AP's as I want to move each SSID to it's own IP range and throttle networks and applications but this gets me running for now.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@htgrimmi wrote:

Everything is working now with the exception of RADIUS which may be expected as it is an AP now.

Not at all. RADIUS auth must remain workable in AP mode.

Somewhere in the past, there was an issue in AP mode, only the SSID 1 accepted RADIUS auth. Afraid, I don't own any of the recent / last Orbi Pro systems, so can't compare, or provide the required diagnostics to Netgear. Convinced @RaghuHR is interested to work on this issue.

Message 7 of 8
htgrimmi
Guide

Quick follow-up.

The orbi is much better for Wi-Fi than meshing a number of Ubiquiti Nano devices. (known/expected)

I'm probably going to power the orbi back on and have it for my primary/personal device WiFi networks and let the Nano's handle my IOT stuff.  Echo devices, plugs/switches/bulbs, Blink, Ring, Wyze, etc.

Using the Ubiquiti stuff to get familiar with the interface and test things as I have it at my work.

Thanks to all for the great info.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements