Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

When do devices look for a better/closer connection - Orbi Pro sxr30 sxs30 sxk30

ghstudio
Apprentice

When do devices look for a better/closer connection - Orbi Pro sxr30 sxs30 sxk30

I have an SXR30 and SXS30 installed.  I have a few devices that appear to be connected to the wrong (farthest) unit....for example, I have a firestick next to a roku...both connected wirelessly to the same SSID.  The Roku has an excellent signal connected to the router just 3' away, the firestick sitting just 6" from the Roku is connected to the satellite some 40' away with just a fair signal.  My harmony hub is 10' from the router in the same room, yet it's connected to the satellite with just a fair signal.  I have unplugged both the firestick and harmony hub, then plugged them in...but no change....still the unusual connection.

If I added another access point mid way between the current access points...would the devices automatically find it and connect or would they stay on the satellite they are currently using until ???

Is there a way to inspire devices to connect to the nearest router/access point.....will they automatically try to connect to the nearest router when the dhcp lease expires?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: When do devices look for a better/closer connection - Orbi Pro sxr30 sxs30 sxk30

how big is the home and how many satellites do you have? 

With mesh systems, its the device (phone, roku, etc) that decides what to connect to. 

so you can actually have to much coverage or  have them to close together so devices don't roam properly. 

You can try moving the satellites around a bit or decreasing their broadcast power to see if that helps. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements