Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BT TV Help with Orbi 963

Nismoairuk
Tutor

BT TV Help with Orbi 963

Hi

Does anyone have the latest experience on using the Orbi directly connected to Fibre and using BT TV?

I've tried enabling the BT IGMP profile in WAN settings but can't get the TV streaming to work.

Updated the firmware from new and factory reset in the hope I may get more ISP profile options to preset upon setup. However, there only seems to be Malaysia and France profiles available from a drop down list and 'Orange IPTV' streaming?

Any help much appreciated!
Message 1 of 9

@Nismoairuk wrote:

Does anyone have the latest experience on using the Orbi directly connected to Fibre and using BT TV?

What are you using to get BT TV?

I have one of a BT TV Box Pro running on an R7000P with no need to make any adjustments.

Message 2 of 9
Nismoairuk
Tutor

Thanks for your reply, I have been tearing my hair out with this!

So my Orbi 963 is connected directly to the ONT and then BT Pro Box connected to Orbi wirelessly (wired not an option).

I've tried the BT IGMP setting but doesn't work.

Literally just tried my previous Asus AX11000 with multicast enabled and BT TV worked straight away. Slightly annoying and now thinking how/why the Orbi can't stream the BT TV channels
Message 3 of 9

@Nismoairuk wrote:

So my Orbi 963 is connected directly to the ONT and then BT Pro Box connected to Orbi wirelessly

Fibre? ONT? I should be so lucky.

What firmware is on the Orbi?

(wired not an option).

I have used Powerline Ethernet to make the link between router and wired devices like BT's boxes.

Message 4 of 9
Nismoairuk
Tutor

Yeah tried power line adapters just now and no joy.

Firmware is v6.3.7.10.

Think I'm running out of patience with it. My old Asus router can do it. May just get their latest WiFi 6e version and continue with them.
Message 5 of 9

@Nismoairuk wrote:

Firmware is v6.3.7.10.

Is that the Orbi RBKE963?

Have you visited the BT community for clues?

Welcome to BT’s official support community.

In my experience, BT has one of the trickiest services around. It loves doing things in its own complicated way.

Message 6 of 9
Nismoairuk
Tutor

Thanks again.

Yeah, Ive tried the BT forums. Mixed/inconclusive results on there but ultimately nothing that works for me. I believe using the Homehub and cabling it to the orbi in AP mode will work but I understand that kills most of the features of the Orbi which isn't worth the cost of the unit in the first place.

Think I'm back to Asus, maybe something like their ET12.
Message 7 of 9

@Nismoairuk wrote:

Think I'm back to Asus, maybe something like their ET12.

You could experiment with the Asus in AP mode attached to the Orbi.

Any useful clues in the logs for the Orbi?

I had an Orbi system for a while but abandoned it. Designed for simplicity of use, it seemed dumbed down and missed useful features, like USB storage. I now have an MK system.

Message 8 of 9
Nismoairuk
Tutor

Update: returned the BT TV box (lots of limitations Vs SkyQ).

Also gave the ET12 a try and didn't appreciate you don't get the WiFi 6e benefit from that system as it's tri-band so uses 6e for the backhaul.

Range on the ET12 is very good but the speed and consistency of Orbi is better.

There's lots of complaints about armor and the add-ons given extra cost and I totally get that, especially when Asus offers you the same for free. However I think Netgears implementation is better and you get bit defender AV software included on compatible devices.

As switch from Orbi was driven by multicast issues with BTV, on process of reverting back to the Orbi 🙂
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series