Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combine WiFi 6 RB 850 system with my old RB 50

carlsson
Star

Combine WiFi 6 RB 850 system with my old RB 50

I have a two year old Orbi RB 50 system, with one router and three satellites. It works good, but there are some areas of the house (and especially garden) that have bad or no coverage. So I just bought a RB 850 system with one router and two satellites.

Now I'm thinking about the best way to install this? Are there any special things I should care about? Replace the RBR50 with the RBR850 is given, and put one of the new satellites in my office feels also given.

But then what? Just spread them around the house? 

Are they talking good to each other, or do I need cables?

The house is built 1926 with a large chimney in the middle, that I have found out is blocking a lot of the signals. There are four floors to cover.

Tia,

Andreas

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would set them up as you did before to see if the AX provides better coverage. I'd also try testing the satellites in different spots. Sometimes things in the walls can block that wireless backhaul so trying different locations might make things work better. 

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The subject line implied a desire to combine the new and old systems.  Alas, that is not really an option.

The radio chips in the 850 series are a different (newer) model than the chips in the original Orbi design (from 2016) and offer the newer 802.11ax capability which is used to increase the speed of the satellite to router (backhaul) transmission rate.  Thus, the original satellites will not integrate with the newer router.

Service to outside areas typically involves locating a satellite at the exterior wall, often placed in a window to reduce the amount of material the WiFi signal must penetrate.  This may force a decision of which is more important: (a) better coverage to inside areas, or (b) increased coverage outside?

Message 3 of 11
carlsson
Star

Aha, I assumed that those should be backward compatible. I see now that they are, via cable...

Hmm.... So now I'm thinking: Should I return the RB 850 (they are still shrinkwrapped) and buy more RBS50's, or should I go with new 850 system (It's still a lot of money, and soon the next standard will probably arrive)? 🤪

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC series RBS is NOT compatible with Orbi AX systems, wirelessly or via ethernet. 

Message 5 of 11
carlsson
Star

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Older FW version I believe it worked. Recent versions of FW don't. 

I believed I tried this last year with mine, Couldn't make the RBR50 work over ethernet. 

Message 7 of 11
carlsson
Star

So, based on this information my old system is worthless if I keep the new one. How much better is 853 vs 50? Is it worth $800?

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@carlsson wrote:

How much better is 853 vs 50? Is it worth $800?

If you own devices capable of WiFi6 (802.11ax) or if you are maxing out the backhaul capacity to handle a gigabit internet feed, then.....

'perhaps'.  Yes, it has more horsepower.  Yes, it has a 2.5GB Ethernet port to connect to the highest speed internet available from any ISP. Yes, the backhaul link between router and satellites can run a bit faster.

I have a house full of WiFi devices (TVs, smart plugs, cameras, speakers, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc. etc. and not a single one of them supports WiFi6.  Suppose I get a new laptop or smartphone that does support WiFi6. Will it suddenly 'perform better' with my existing 200MB/s internet feed? Don't think so.  I will be hanging onto my old RBR50 system for years until there is an urgent need to upgrade.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Also something to be aware of, as older wifi systems grown in age, NH may not update FW as often or if anything only for security updates. No new features or bugs maybe added or fixed. I believe the Orbi AC series maybe heading to EoL as it's been on the market since 2016 in regards to this. Something to keep in mind. 

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

@carlsson wrote:

So, based on this information my old system is worthless if I keep the new one. How much better is 853 vs 50? Is it worth $800?

Thats on you to decide. My 50 series was plenty capable and is getting handed off to a family member who doesn't use quite the same capability as myself. For the vast majority of people, its going to be able to meet their needs. If you're needing the absolute maximum in wireless speeds, then sure, the upgrade is worth it. But if all you're doing is some streaming/gaming, you'd be fine with the 50 series. I don't notice a speed difference unless I'm speedtesting or if I'm moving massive files over wireless (which I rarely do). 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7