Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi RBR750

dale16
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR750

I don’t know what this location means above, but our router suddenly stopped working and we have no Internet. The modem is working fine and it is communicating with the Orbi router but nothing will work to get us Internet. I have unplugged all the wires an waiting and also reset it. I Red it could be because the software is not up-to-date but I can’t find a way to update the software without being connected to the Internet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.
Message 1 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware version should not affect whether the router connects to the internet (or not).

Is there a computer handy that can be connected directly to the modem to verify that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) is providing service?

Is it correct to assume that everything has been turned off.  Then the modem powered on and wait until it settles down.  Then the Orbi router turned on? (I know it is annoying that Netgear removed the power switch from the Orbi 750 product and the only way to power it on/off is to physically disconnect/reconnect the power cord.)

Thanks

Message 2 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Yes, everything was turned off with all wires removed with a waiting period. Also did this with the modem, which is working. Also confirmed the modem is communicating with the router. The ISP is providing. A couple of times we did get the Internet to come on but quickly go away.
Message 3 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

It will help to be very specific about the equipment.  There appears to be

1. A cable modem from the Internet Service Provider (ISP)
  2. A router from the ISP
  3. An Orbi RBR router connected to the ISP router?

We know the modem is working because the ISP router provides internet service to devices connect to it?

But, the Orbi does not provide internet?  (When the router is turned on, does it display a BLUE or MAGENTA ring light at the top for a couple of minutes?)

And this was all working previously?

Message 4 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

All of the wires are in the correct places. The router does not have lights at the top. They are at the bottom. It’s been white with no other colors.
Message 5 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

We know the modem is working because we spoke to the modem provider and they reset it at three different times and all three times it worked correctly and all the lights that were supposed to be on or on. Yes, this used to work before for a long time.
Message 6 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Only one modem and the Orbi. Nothing else?
Message 7 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Was the router reset or Factory Reset?
Message 8 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Hi. Sorry the first message I couldn’t access. We only have the Orbi and the modem. I don’t know the difference between the resets, but we had put a paper clip in the reset button, whatever that does.
Message 9 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

That’s the only reset button on there except for the sync button
Message 10 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Maybe, we tried everything in the wrong order. Can you tell me the order that I need to reset and remove wires and plugs and wires and everything. And what’s the difference between the two resets? Thanks.
Message 11 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

A Factory Reset erases the configuration and restores the router to the condition it was in when it left the factory (plus any firmware updates).  The WiFi credentials go back to what is printed on the label (bottom of the case).  The web access user name is "admin" and the password is "password".

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings 

Since the LED on the front (sorry about my mistake) never turns Blue or Magenta, the router appears to be "stuck".

See page 9 of the user guide:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf 

Solid white for a long time is not good.

Message 12 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

This is great info! I will try this later today when I have a chance. Thanks a ton!
Message 13 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Thank you for helping me. I have flown the white flag. This Orbi has been a nightmare for years. ☹️
Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

is it this version? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 15 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Hi there, so I ended up getting a router from my Internet provider, but found out that it’s not going to work for me because I need satellites and it doesn’t have satellites which I realize now is the reason we originally got an Orbi router with two satellites. I’m going to work on this again with the Orbi on Monday. The part that confused me is using a laptop or something to connect to the modem or router. I don’t have a wire that will go from my laptop. I need to buy one. What is the name of the wire I need? Thanks!
Message 16 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Amazon sells a number of Ethernet - USB adapters.  Search for "Ethernet USB adapter for laptop".

The key is that the USB has to be connected to the laptop, so it has to "match".

i.e. if the laptop has a Type C USB port, then the adapter can be Type C.

If the laptop has only Type A ports, then the adapter has to be Type A.

(I have purchased both types and used them on a variety of computers, laptops, tablet, and Chromebook.)

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...

@dale16 wrote:
Hi there, so I ended up getting a router from my Internet provider, but found out that it’s not going to work for me because I need satellites and it doesn’t have satellites which I realize now is the reason we originally got an Orbi router with two satellites. I’m going to work on this again with the Orbi on Monday. The part that confused me is using a laptop or something to connect to the modem or router. I don’t have a wire that will go from my laptop. I need to buy one. What is the name of the wire I need? Thanks!

Message 18 of 20
dale16
Aspirant

Thanks for the wire info. This is other info is way too technical for me. My modem does not have a built in router which is why we have two separate pieces of equipment.
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7