Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

mbrev
Initiate

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

@CrimpOn - In router mode.

@FURRYe38 - RBS850's are individually ethernet connected, directly; no switches in-between. FW updated manually. Factory reset performed multiple times. Interestingly if I rollback to v4.6.14.3, everything works as expected. However, applying 7.2.6.21 and the guest network stops traffic via either satellite.

Message 126 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

Hmmm all my IP adresses start 10.XXX not 192.XXX is this a highly recommended thing or a just in case thing please?

Message 127 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi has IP addresses starting at 10.x, this means the RBR is connected to an upstream router that uses 192.168.1.1 and the RBR detected this and changed to a 10.x pool string to avoid the conflict and two routers can not use same IP address pool when connected together. 

@mikeinlondon wrote:

Hmmm all my IP adresses start 10.XXX not 192.XXX is this a highly recommended thing or a just in case thing please?

Message 128 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you happen to test the RBS and Guest Network with the RBS wirelessly connected? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I have a 850 series system online now and two RBS ethernet connected. I'll enable GN and see what I find. 

@mbrev wrote:

@FURRYe38 - RBS850's are individually ethernet connected, directly; no switches in-between. FW updated manually. Factory reset performed multiple times. Interestingly if I rollback to v4.6.14.3, everything works as expected. However, applying 7.2.6.21 and the guest network stops traffic via either satellite.

Message 129 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

Ah this makes sense now. We have Hyperoptic broadband and there is internet direct from the ethernet point in the apartment and I have the Orbi connected to that. So there must be a Hyperoptic router in the service area somewhere hence this

Message 130 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 131 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

The trouble is I have no idea what Hyperoptic device we are connected to and what mode it is in. Our Orbi is behaving ok with all our devices except iphones, we just have a problem with the iphones dropping wifi between the router and satellite. Would setting our Orbi to AP mode solve anything like this? Will is cause any other issues?

Message 132 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

@mikeinlondon wrote:

The trouble is I have no idea what Hyperoptic device we are connected to and what mode it is in. Our Orbi is behaving ok with all our devices except iphones, we just have a problem with the iphones dropping wifi between the router and satellite. Would setting our Orbi to AP mode solve anything like this? Will is cause any other issues?

Message 133 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

One RBS

Flat is 120m2 but L shaped

Probably only 20 feet between RBR and RBS

If RBS is turned off RBR signal does not reach the living room at all as walls very thick so we definitely need one even though it’s not far

Only happens with two iPhones. All other devices rock solid

Router 2.4hz channel 1 - 5hz channel 48

Randomisers turned off on both iPhones

Message 134 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet maybe a bit too close between the RBR and RBS...can you move the RBS say maybe 5-10 feet farther out? 

Try channel 40 if it's not populated by neighbors using that channel. 

Message 135 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

Thanks!

I cant move it for various reasons but will monitor it now. Will moving 5hz from 48 to 40 make a difference?

Message 136 of 144
GrahamKelly
Aspirant

@mbrev I have the same issue. When I initial purchased this kit firmware version 3.2.18.1 was out and had the exact same issue. At the time I logged a support ticket, within 90 days of the purchase and had support, the issue was eventually fixed with the release of 4.6.3.9, and it's remained fixed until the release of 7.2.6.21 which, for me, re-introduced the guest network issues. Same experience.... guests can connect to the RBR850 and network connectivity works, but as soon as they connect to either satellite they experience similar issues. The RBS850 satellites are directly connected to the RBR80, no switches, direct ethernet connections. If I switch over to wireless backhaul though, guest internet access works via the satellites... guest internet access is ONLY affected when the satellites are connected back to the router via the ethernet ports.

Message 137 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

Ah interesting. I will try that.
Message 138 of 144
mikeinlondon
Tutor

Yes I will try this but this isn’t for the guest network for me it’s for the main network but I’ll try it anyway
Message 139 of 144
Mooose
Luminary

@mikeinlondon wrote:

Personally I think this "recommendation" is nonsense, you can use any of the class A, B or C ranges reserved for private networks, i.e. 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.

I use 10.0.0.X because it is easier to type.

Of course, if you do have double-NAT, and there is something you can do about it, that would be a course of action worth exploring.

Message 140 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so I had a quick chance to check Guest Network on a 850 series last night. Both RBS are ethernet connected. One, in the basement is connected behind 3 non managed switches, the other is connected to only one non managed switch. Guest network was not enabled so I just logged in to the RBRs web UI last nite and enabled it. Used default GN password as I don't normally use Guest Network so password is default that NG sets. 

IMG_2870.PNG

Both iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 16.5)  and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE (OS 14) connected and got internet over the GN. I presume if there was a problem, the status on each would let me know if there was no internet access, however both reported not having any internet issues. MAC address randomizers are disabled on both as well.

IMG_2867.PNG

Screenshot_20240327_205705_Settings.jpg

Orbi app showed them connected as well on Guest Network:

IMG_2869.PNG

Screenshot_20240327_205510_Orbi.jpg

I connected both devices to YouTube and streamed some videos with out any problems. 

RBR is connected to a CM3000 using the Multigig port. 

RBR has been online for past 14+ days as I've been testing for CPU usage creep with RBS ethernet connected. 

Guest Network is working here on my system. I'll leave it enabled thru the weekend and check it here and there as I get time. 

@mbrev wrote:

Anyone else having an issue with FW v7.2.6.21 and satellites now not allowing the Guest network internet access? If a guest is connected to the router itself, they have internet access.

Satellites are individually ethernet connected to the router. If the satellites are wirelessly connected instead, the guest network works.

Gone through the usual factory reset, re-applying the FW, etc., etc.

Message 141 of 144
GrahamKelly
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38, appreciate the effort you went to. My guest network provides limited http traffic only... receive web socket errors from various websites, steaming apps cannot login, various 365 apps (OL, Lists, etc) cannot establish a connection. Again, if I disconnect the ethernet and let the satellites wirelessly connect to each other, the guest network works perfectly. Equally if I downgrade the firmware and re-connect the satellites via ethernet, the guest network works. I can rule out hardware by downgrading the firmware.

Message 142 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

How are your RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly connected in back of the RBR or is there any LAN switches in the mix? Brand and model of switches if any present. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

RBR in router mode I presume? 

What channels are being used on the RBR? I'm using Channels 1 and 40.

What CAT# lan cable us used to connect the RBS over ethernet? 

@GrahamKelly wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38, appreciate the effort you went to. My guest network provides limited http traffic only... receive web socket errors from various websites, steaming apps cannot login, various 365 apps (OL, Lists, etc) cannot establish a connection. Again, if I disconnect the ethernet and let the satellites wirelessly connect to each other, the guest network works perfectly. Equally if I downgrade the firmware and re-connect the satellites via ethernet, the guest network works. I can rule out hardware by downgrading the firmware.

Message 143 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 144 of 144
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7