Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 7.2.6.31 Released

liamscor
Star

Checking the below download page:

https://kb.netgear.com/000066069/RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version-7-2-6-31

Is seems like the "For all regions except Europe" has now been removed for the latest firmware.

I wonder if this means netgear has reolved the issue?

Message 26 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Let me check on this. I see the download page for this version was updated 4 days ago from the initial 3/22 date. 

Hopefully I can get some info. 

@Kevin 

@Blanca_O 

Message 27 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, got word, NG confirmed this version of v.31 is for ALL Regions, including EU. 

Enjoy. 

@liamscor wrote:

Checking the below download page:

https://kb.netgear.com/000066069/RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version-7-2-6-31

Is seems like the "For all regions except Europe" has now been removed for the latest firmware.

I wonder if this means netgear has reolved the issue?

Message 28 of 58
liamscor
Star

Many thanks for confirming.
Message 29 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

I have continued to test problems with IPv6, here is the latest from today...

Remembering one of the forum posts, I decided I was going to try enabling IPv6 with my own DNS servers for IPv6 - so I picked Google servers, thinking they are worldwide and pretty stable most likely. So I enabled IPv6, then I rebooted (did not power cycle) the router. It came up fine. Memory is at 452MB, which seems lower - but it may sneak back up to 530MB or so in the next few hours. I did nothing to the RBSs, rebooting the router did not affect the RBSs' uptime, so they did not reboot. After about 6-7 minutes the 3rd floor RBS shows hop count of 1. The 1st floor RBS? Yep you guessed it, Hop Count is blank still after 16 minutes, it was never 1. It;'s like the system can't handle 2 ETH backhauls in some situations. I am going to power cycle the 1st floor RBS now. 

Message 30 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the update. 

Message 31 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

enabling IPv6 with my own DNS servers for IPv6 - so I picked Google servers, thinking they are worldwide and pretty stable most likely.

"my own" means checking the option "Use these DNS servers"?

(It does not mean that you run a DNS server locally.)

Message 32 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 33 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

Correct - I meant using manually entered DNS - I picked Google's.

Message 34 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

One last update as things are working now - 1st floor RBS 960 has Hop Count 1 again. After I power cycled the 1st floor RBS, Hop Count was still blank. So I remembered before what works - I take the RBS downstairs next to the RBR, and power it up to sync wirelessly. Once I get the Blue LED light, and power it down, put it back in its place with ETH backhaul, and power it up. All is fine now. So rebooting or power cycling the router requires that one of the RBSs be power cycled with Wireless backhaul, then Ethernet backhaul (Note I remember reading this from the Netgear forum admins a long time ago). Note this happened with my 850 series Orbi too.

Isn't this fun jumping through all these hoops?

Message 35 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Message 36 of 58
bullm00n
Luminary

@donawalt wrote:

One last update as things are working now - 1st floor RBS 960 has Hop Count 1 again. After I power cycled the 1st floor RBS, Hop Count was still blank. So I remembered before what works - I take the RBS downstairs next to the RBR, and power it up to sync wirelessly. Once I get the Blue LED light, and power it down, put it back in its place with ETH backhaul, and power it up. All is fine now. So rebooting or power cycling the router requires that one of the RBSs be power cycled with Wireless backhaul, then Ethernet backhaul (Note I remember reading this from the Netgear forum admins a long time ago). Note this happened with my 850 series Orbi too.

Isn't this fun jumping through all these hoops?

I forget, but was everything OK before the update?  I have not looked at the hop count info in the past but have lately and have not seen any issues.

I have had IPV6 enabled since as long as I can remember - never did anything special, just let it set itself up.  And it always passed that IPV6 test website.  And I have mostly always used wired backhaul - have not had to do anything special to get that working either.

I have been too busy to try the update but will as soon as I get some time to be disruptive. 😄 

Message 37 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

@bullm00n I have not looked at the hop count info in the past but have lately and have not seen any issues.

Are your RBS wireless or ethernet connected to the RBR? This issue mostly effects RBS that are ethernet connected and with at least two RBS units. 

I have had IPV6 enabled since as long as I can remember - never did anything special, just let it set itself up.  And it always passed that IPV6 test website.  And I have mostly always used wired backhaul - have not had to do anything special to get that working either.

Who is your ISP? 
What is the Brand and model# of the ISP modem the RBR is connected too? 

Please check the RBR CPU and memory usage values seen here and let us know what you seen. Also post the RBS info too. Found the debug.htm pages.

I have been too busy to try the update but will as soon as I get some time to be disruptive. 😄

Message 38 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

No, I had problems with the prior release. I also saw it on the Orbi 850 series. Things started going awry in around Feb 2023, when allegedly Comcast changed something in IPv6 around here. IPv6 didn't work at all for a while. There's really multiple issues here, possibly firmware, maybe boot loader, maybe both:

1) Memory increase of ~ 125MB with IPv6 turned on - and it does not get released when IPv6 is disabled again;

2) Conditions where Hop Count will go to blank and devices can't connect to that satellite

3) Reboots or power cycles of the Router usually mean other steps needed for RBSs to work properly re: hop count (like syncing once via wireless)

Once it's up, with IPv6 disabled, it's all steady as a rock. Reboots/power cycles, and IPv6 are going to cause issues here.

Message 39 of 58
reddavin
Tutor

New 960 router and 2 satellites a month ago. Worked with support to get .31 firmware installed. WiFi continuously dropped on iPhone 15 using 6ghz. Other WiFi devices would be fine and then also lose connectivity. Even wired connections would drop (Verizon gigabit via Ethernet.) and then come back. One satellite is wired for backhaul ant it would lose that and go to WiFi. And then return to wired. Lots of colorful lights.

Spoke to support who recommended flashing back to .21 version on all devices. Since then Connectivity has been solid (24 hrs). One speed bump at 2 am everything lost connectivity. Not sure if that was Netgear or Verizon. All devices (wired and WiFi) re-connected and seem stable. Support said they escalated this case and recommended I wait for something other than .31 version. Probably a standard response.
Message 40 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

So not sure if you want help on this or not. I know one user here has v.31 loaded and is working for past few days sans IPv6 and IPv6 ISP DNS. Both his RBS are ethernet connected via LAN switch. 

@donawalt 

Would need feedback to the following to better help out:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

How is RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly or is there a LAN switch in between? Brand and model of LAN switch in between?

What CAT# LAN cable is being used between the RBR and RBS? 

How was the FW applied? Orbi app? Auto Update? Manually with a PC and web browser?

Was RBS updated first then RBR lastly? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed AFTER v.31 was applied using the following process?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

@reddavin wrote:
New 960 router and 2 satellites a month ago. Worked with support to get .31 firmware installed. WiFi continuously dropped on iPhone 15 using 6ghz. Other WiFi devices would be fine and then also lose connectivity. Even wired connections would drop (Verizon gigabit via Ethernet.) and then come back. One satellite is wired for backhaul ant it would lose that and go to WiFi. And then return to wired. Lots of colorful lights.

Spoke to support who recommended flashing back to .21 version on all devices. Since then Connectivity has been solid (24 hrs). One speed bump at 2 am everything lost connectivity. Not sure if that was Netgear or Verizon. All devices (wired and WiFi) re-connected and seem stable. Support said they escalated this case and recommended I wait for something other than .31 version. Probably a standard response.

Message 41 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

@reddavin @FURRYe38 It could be related - losing connectivity could be Hop Count gone to blank. When that happens, devices won't connect to that Satellite, and they could easily be too far away from anything else to connect - hence the disconnected state.If you notice sometimes it's connected sometimes it's not, it could be 1 satellite and the router are fine - so moving within range of them establishes a connection again. Maybe it's reconnecting via 5 GHz or 2.4GH from somewhere else too.

This could also be a symptom of the router restart. Bringing up a system (power cycle, reboot) with 2 Eth-connected back hauls also is problematic.

My procedure now, if I have a reason to power cycle or reboot the router, is power cycle the RBSs once the router is up. Go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and monitor Hop Count, make sure it says 1. If it does not say 1 after say 20 minutes, power down that RBS, take it next to the router, power it up, let it sync wirelessly (wait for the Blue LED). The power it down, place it in its normal position, connect the Ethernet cable, and power it up. It should sync fine and Hop Count should stay 1.

My router has now been up just about 2 days, with all fine here. I am also running IPv6, the only difference is I have manually set the IPv6 DNS servers to Google's:

2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

Message 42 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Hence we'll need more information from @reddavin 

Message 43 of 58
reddavin
Tutor

Thank you for the replies.  i'll try to answer as much as i can.  i'm farily technical, but not expert in things networking by any stretch.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? "No idea. Verizon GIGabit. ethernet cable from that is connected to RBR.  goes thru APC backups Pro 500."
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. "It's all CAT6 24AWG UTP"
How many RBS are deployed? "2 RBS"
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? "2600 sq ft.  split level, 3 levels. router on L1, RBS on L2, L3"
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s) "Diff levels of house.  at least 30 ft."
How is RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly or is there a LAN switch in between? Brand and model of LAN switch in between? "1 RBS - WIFI, 1 RBS - Wired. DLink switch inline"
What CAT# LAN cable is being used between the RBR and RBS? "Cat6"
How was the FW applied? Orbi app? Auto Update? Manually with a PC and web browser? "Web Browser/PC"
Was RBS updated first then RBR lastly? "Netgear support had me update RBR first, then hardwire to each RBS and update manually"

Go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and monitor Hop Count. "new territory.  I created the log and looked at it.  next_hop = 0, sometimes = 1."

rookie mistake...today, Orbi automatically applied the .31 release.  doh.  the above log is with .31 installed.  iphone has already been dropping wifi randomly throughout the day.  i suspect it is having issues connecting to different end points as i move around. but even then, while working throughout the day, it goes to 5g randomly. i'm going to follow the (helpful) instructions linked above to flash back to .21.  AND turn off automatic updated. seems like a better version in my case.

previous 850 system was good for many years.  the 960 hasn't been good (for the month i had it on .31.)  I got the impression from NetGear support that they are aware of this issue with .31 and are trying to address. (whatever that issue is...?)

HTH

Message 44 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

Not sure what next_hop is, but I if you see "Hop Count" blank on the debug page of either RBS, then nothing will connect to it and it will drop any device that was connected.

Don't look at logs, go to the debug.htm page off your satellite's IP address. You will have to get that from your "Attached Devices" link under Basic, when you log in to the Routers Web page (like for me, 192.168.1.1). Find the IP address of the RBSs - check them both - type 192.168.1.yyy/debug.htm (where 192.168.1.yyy is the address of each RBS from the Attached Devices list), log in with your admin log in to the router, and you'll see a page like the one I show below - you can see Hop Count.

If either RBS has a Hop Count of blank, let us know if it's the WiFi- or Ethernet-backhaul satellite.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 6.00.00 PM.png

Message 45 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

@reddavin wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  i'll try to answer as much as i can.  i'm farily technical, but not expert in things networking by any stretch.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? "No idea. Verizon GIGabit. ethernet cable from that is connected to RBR.  goes thru APC backups Pro 500."

So no markings on the modem or ONT unit? There any kind of wifi router built in to this unit? 

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. "It's all CAT6 24AWG UTP" CAT6A STP would be recommended since the WAN port on the RBR is 10Gb. There is a diffence.
How many RBS are deployed? "2 RBS"
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? "2600 sq ft.  split level, 3 levels. router on L1, RBS on L2, L3"

For this size of home, the RBR and just ONE RBS would be needed. 

Can you turn OFF one of the RBS and test please. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s) "Diff levels of house.  at least 30 ft."
How is RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? Directly or is there a LAN switch in between? Brand and model of LAN switch in between? "1 RBS - WIFI, 1 RBS - Wired. DLink switch inline"

What is the model # of this D-Link switch please. 

What CAT# LAN cable is being used between the RBR and RBS? "Cat6"

Are the RBS ethernet connected using the Multi Gig Port or the 1Gb ports in back of the RBS? 

How was the FW applied? Orbi app? Auto Update? Manually with a PC and web browser? "Web Browser/PC"
Was RBS updated first then RBR lastly? "Netgear support had me update RBR first, then hardwire to each RBS and update manually"

FYI, not sure why support had you do the RBR first. The RBS need to be updated first ALWAYS. To ensure they can reconnect to the RBR once it's updated, lastly. 

Go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and monitor Hop Count. "new territory.  I created the log and looked at it.  next_hop = 0, sometimes = 1."

Hop Count shows a (0) character or just blank instead of 1? 

rookie mistake...today, Orbi automatically applied the .31 release.  doh.  the above log is with .31 installed.  iphone has already been dropping wifi randomly throughout the day.  i suspect it is having issues connecting to different end points as i move around. but even then, while working throughout the day, it goes to 5g randomly. i'm going to follow the (helpful) instructions linked above to flash back to .21.  AND turn off automatic updated. seems like a better version in my case.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

previous 850 system was good for many years.  the 960 hasn't been good (for the month i had it on .31.)  I got the impression from NetGear support that they are aware of this issue with .31 and are trying to address. (whatever that issue is...?)

We can't blame the FW just yet. Need to check the items suggested above first and before reverting back versions. Lets narrow this down more for v.31.

Message 46 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

My procedure now, if I have a reason to power cycle or reboot the router, is power cycle the RBSs once the router is up. Go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and monitor Hop Count, make sure it says 1. If it does not say 1 after say 20 minutes, power down that RBS,.....

(Sorry, I have no 960 to look at and none of the devices I have display a "hop count")  Can you please clarify:

• 192.168.1.1 is the router, correct?
  • Does the router display "hop count" for each of the attached satellites?
  • Or, is the debug page of each satellite being monitored to observe "hop count"?

(I am easily confused and would rather admit it than remain confused.)

Message 47 of 58
donawalt
Virtuoso

No - You will have to get to the debug pages of the satellites by first getting their IP address from your "Attached Devices" link under Basic, when you log in to the Routers Web page (like for me, 192.168.1.1). Find the IP address of the RBSs - check them both - type 192.168.1.yyy/debug.htm (where 192.168.1.yyy is the address of each RBS from the Attached Devices list), log in with your admin log in to the router, and you'll see a page like the one I showed above - you can see Hop Count.

Does that help?

Message 48 of 58
reddavin
Tutor

The RBR doesn’t have hop count. The 2 RBS show 1. I like the 3 units because I need WiFi to outdoor cameras and other smart things. I have 1 gig service. Why would I need cables that support 10 gig? The wire to the RBS would be nearly impossible to replace. It could be WiFi but we had the wire so figured I’d use it. It’s connected to the 2.5 input. Nothing on the ONT. it’s a square box on the outside of the house. Verizon upgraded it when they installed the gig service. Dlink 8 port gigabit switch DGS-108
Message 49 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok correct RBR doesn't have Hop Count. Only the RBS.

Could be some line noises on UTP cablng. Un-sheilded.

STP is shielded and recommended for the connected from the RBR to the ONT. 

Since you have only a 1 Gb service, and the switch your using is only 1Gb connection rated, Please connect the connecting cables from the switch to the back of the RBS using the 1Gb LAN ports. Theres no need for the 2.5Gb LAN port. 

Also lets test with just one RBS enabled. Turn OFF the 2nd one for a while. 

Are you using IPv6 on the RBR?

Does your ISP support native IPv6 at all? 

@reddavin wrote:
The RBR doesn’t have hop count. The 2 RBS show 1. I like the 3 units because I need WiFi to outdoor cameras and other smart things. I have 1 gig service. Why would I need cables that support 10 gig? The wire to the RBS would be nearly impossible to replace. It could be WiFi but we had the wire so figured I’d use it. It’s connected to the 2.5 input. Nothing on the ONT. it’s a square box on the outside of the house. Verizon upgraded it when they installed the gig service. Dlink 8 port gigabit switch DGS-108

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 33 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7