Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: unable to flash router in 960 mesh system

JeffGo
Aspirant

There seems to be an issue with the .31 router image.

Last week, I noticed that my satellites had auto-updated to 7.2.6.31 but the router had not. A few days ago, I ran the update from the web UI, when it told me that 7.2.6.31 was available. It completed (first time in years that this process worked), so I figured all was well.

Today I had some serious hiccup with the router and all my devices went offline. Restarted the router and network switch, didn't clear it up, but I was then able to get into the router web UI. And once again it said a new version of firmware was available and my router was still on 7.2.6.21. So I did a manual update (I had downloaded the package just in case), that went OK, system came back online and devices started connecting again - some required manual restart.

But the UI still shows the router running 7.2.6.21 and that an update was available. Something fishy about this package. And yes, I did check that the file is RBRE960-V7.2.6.31_5.0.24.chk.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JeffGo
Aspirant

Tried again this morning.

First, downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware file and unpacked it. Then did a manual update. Got a failure message at the end of the process, a few minutes in (I hadn't noticed that before).

Next, tried the online update ("recommended method" per UI). That succeeded and on reboot, the router is now showing .31.

So, fifth or sixth time is a charm.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you follow this process to manually update the RBR? 

Manual FW Update Process 

I'd disable the auto update feature on the RBR as well for this. 

Use MS Edge or Firefox to manually update the RBR. 

I recommend if your seeing problems, factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch after you get the RBR updated to v.31. Factory Reset Process 

Message 2 of 7
JeffGo
Aspirant

Dude, I said I did a manual update (and I have over 10 years of experience with Orbis). Maybe someone can verify that after an update from .21 to .31, the UI still shows .21?

I can turn off auto update. It never worked on the 960 before, surprised that the satellites did.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking dude. The PDF there details a recommended process to manually update FW. 

I updated mine use that process as well and the version remained on the RBR. 
I know that the user @donawalt has his loaded and is currently working on his 960 series. 

Message 4 of 7
donawalt
Virtuoso

Yep- update to .31 went fine and shows on the 960 router as .31. Something is awry. Corrupted file? If I saw that happening, I would definitely do a factory reset and start from scratch. If you have a valid settings back up file, that’s not a big deal to do.
Message 5 of 7
JeffGo
Aspirant

Tried again this morning.

First, downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware file and unpacked it. Then did a manual update. Got a failure message at the end of the process, a few minutes in (I hadn't noticed that before).

Next, tried the online update ("recommended method" per UI). That succeeded and on reboot, the router is now showing .31.

So, fifth or sixth time is a charm.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Very odd that you saw this behavior. Not sure why.

I recommend a power OFF of the system for 1 minute then back ON. If all is still good, save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7