Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ethernet backhaul question...

zitstif
Aspirant

ethernet backhaul question...

If you have a non netgate router/gateway, but you have 2 orbis hooked up together, will ethernet backhaul still work or be possible to setup? Does backhaul absolutely require first wirelessly syncing or can he be done via ethernet? 

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ethernet backhaul question...

No. The brand of modem or fiber Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is not relevant.

Please provide more detail about the Orbi devices.  If this is one Orbi router and one Orbi satellite, then Yes.  The satellite can be connected to one of the router LAN ports with Ethernet cable.

In general terms, most users are successful if they first allow the satellite to connect to the router over WiFi.  The typical practice is to place the satellite near the router and verify that they sync.  Then, use a short Ethernet cable to verify that the satellite will detect and switch to the 'wired' connection.  Finally, move the satellite to the desired location and verify that the in-house wiring also results in a 'wired' connection.  This step-by-step approach introduces only one variable at a time.

Message 2 of 11
zitstif
Aspirant

The network is as follows

Pfsense -> netgear switch (vlan capable) -> orbi sxr30 (ap mode) -> sxr30 (ap mode)

All connected via ethernet. Is backhaul via ethernet capable or does an orbi have to be in a router mode?
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This should work fine as long as the second Orbi is a satellite (SXS30) and not a second router (SXR30)

Message 4 of 11
zitstif
Aspirant

Ah silly me, I thought you could turn the routers into satellites. Thanks.
Message 5 of 11
zitstif
Aspirant

Does it have to be sxs30 or could be be another satellite model, like sxs50? 

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

According to this table, they are not compatible:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065558/Which-Orbi-Pro-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible 

Super annoying.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@zitstif wrote:
Pfsense -> netgear switch (vlan capable) -> orbi sxr30 (ap mode) -> sxr30 (ap mode)

Leaving alone that you can't take much of an advantage out of these two SXR30 systems (sure, you could operate these in AP mode): Would you mind to allow the question what the design intention for adding Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mesh routers (VPN capable) behind the pfsense router? 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Will interesting to see.  My assumption was that they were already on hand, so why not use them for WiFi?

(There is some adage about "assumptions make an... out of me.") Also, they will create two different WiFi networks, even if the same SSID/password is used for both of them.

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

Will interesting to see.  My assumption was that they were already on hand, so why not use them for WiFi?

(There is some adage about "assumptions make an... out of me.") Also, they will create two different WiFi networks, even if the same SSID/password is used for both of them.

...my assumption was that the OP intended to ensure some Mesh functionality is present on the network (a very common misconception driven by consumer Mesh marketing!) ... what any average wireless access point with multiple SSIDs and support for different VLANs can do - with a much better performance, as long as they stick to WPA2-PSK.

Message 10 of 11
zitstif
Aspirant

Thanks for all the input. I got these used and it was kind of a quick impulsive buy. The hope was to have seamless wifi 6 at near gigabit speeds throughout my whole home. I'm currently using them as APs and I have multiple wireless networks setup. The current setup may not be ideal but it works fine. I appreciate all the feedback. It would be really interesting to know if there's a hardware or software control that differentiates the R vs S. 

Speaking of which, are there any firmware forks for netgear that use the proprietary drivers (like Asuswrt-Merlin)? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements