Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can not update RBS50 or RBR50 firmware

bcrooks
Tutor

Can not update RBS50 or RBR50 firmware

Hello all - 

I have been trying to update my firmware for days. I feel like I am about to loose my mind. 

I have followed the instructions I found in this community here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Orbi-Router-Firmware-RBR50-won-t-update-bu...

Like the poster above, my firmware is also version V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11.

No matter what version of the firmware file I upload I keep getting the same message: 

"This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I have tried 9 different firmware versions starting with the one right after the version I have then moving sequentially one version at a time forward.

Am I doing something wrong? 

I am on a mac. I download the zip. I extract the zip and upload the .img file. And then upload it here (see below). Am I missing some basic action?? What am I doing incorrectly? 

Thank you for your help!!

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 5.04.28 PM.png

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can not update RBS50 or RBR50 firmware

Thats because you have a Verizon branded Orbi system. Verizon did there own FW for Orbi hard ware and thus put forth there own Orbi system using there FW. You'll need to contact Verizon for there help and support regarding FW updates they developed. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
bcrooks
Tutor

Oh... and to clarify, I am getting the firmware versions from here: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=RBS50

That is the product page i get when I search up my serial number so I am pretty confident those are the right firmware docs. 

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats because you have a Verizon branded Orbi system. Verizon did there own FW for Orbi hard ware and thus put forth there own Orbi system using there FW. You'll need to contact Verizon for there help and support regarding FW updates they developed. 

Message 3 of 10
bcrooks
Tutor

Ugh... Of course they did. Well, at least I am not loosing my mind.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 5 of 10
Brandon_Mc
Initiate

Hi, I having the exact same issue, where did you get the correct firmware from?

Message 6 of 10
Brandon_Mc
Initiate

When I contacted verizon nobody knew what I was talking about.

Message 7 of 10
bcrooks
Tutor

Per what  FURRYe38 wrote above... My Orbi (and it sounds like yours) is a VERIZON branded orbi. And as such, it has VERIZON firmware, NOT netgear firmware. So in short, we cant update the firmware with Orbi firmware.

I also contacted Verizon and like your experience, they were equally as unhelpful. 

I was reading on another forum about someone else who was dealing with the same thing. Basically, if it aint broke don't fix it. Since the Orbi was working, that person just stopped trying to update the firm ware.

Which is basically the stance I am now going to be taking. Not the one I want to take. But am not really seeing an alternative at this point.

However, if you find out how to update it, please share!!!

Best

Message 8 of 10
bcrooks
Tutor

Oh... here is the link to the thread I found on verizons forum... 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-internet/how-to-update-firmware-on-verizon-branded-orbi/td-p/9073...

Its basically circular reasoning... 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7