Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update V2.6.2.104 - Internet Freeze, No Internet, Buffering, OFFLINE Status on App

sdklmm
Initiate

Re: Firmware update V2.6.2.104 - Internet Freeze, No Internet, Buffering, OFFLINE Status on App

It took way to much time anyway. Rolling out defective firmware and not even fixing it is not really acceptable to me. Next router won't be netgear...
Message 26 of 68
vajim
Master

Re: Firmware update V2.6.2.104 - Internet Freeze, No Internet, Buffering, OFFLINE Status on App

@sdklmm wrote:
It took way to much time anyway. Rolling out defective firmware and not even fixing it is not really acceptable to me. Next router won't be netgear...

I agree

lets ask @FURRYe38 why netgear keeps rolling defective firmware?  What you may hear is that if it works for them then it must mean you must have a faulty system or you're trying to connect it wrong 

looking at some of the posts where he and others try to help, you could spend a whole day of trying the many different scenarios.  Most of it appears them trying to understand your network and the sheer joy of living on the edge questions 

Message 27 of 68
darsenaux
Initiate

I am having the same issue. I hear yall say a firmware reversion may fix it but when are they going to resolve this issue by issuing a new firmware version?

Message 28 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to first determine if your having a FW issue or not. 

Some users are getting problems fixed with a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071390/highlight/tru...

Others are changing there NTP settings. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

NG does not make it public when FW updates for forth comming. 

You can give us some feed back on what you have tried and done already. 

ALso what configuration is our Orbi working on?

ISP modem  or ONT info would be helpful as well. 

@darsenaux wrote:

I am having the same issue. I hear yall say a firmware reversion may fix it but when are they going to resolve this issue by issuing a new firmware version?

Message 29 of 68
phillipspd01
Aspirant

Have had an issue with showing connected but no internet.  what I found was to enbale parental control and then disable it will fix the issue for awhile but it comes back. have thought about a reset to see if that will fix it.  

Not sure why this is happening. but it started after the last firmware update.  also my model is  RBR40 which is not listed in the model recommend list?  confusing.

Message 30 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

Something is up here. Why is the firmware service offline? I should not be forced to downgrade my firmware to solve an issue that is obviously affecting multiple customers. 

Netgear support -- what ist the ETA for resolving this firmware issue? This is simply unaccetpable levels of customer service. 

Screenshot 2021-03-22 090950.png

Message 31 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Please attached a picture using the Choose File options when posting.

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to not use Traffic Meter. 

@Jeeves1925 wrote:

Something is up here. Why is the firmware service offline? I should not be forced to downgrade my firmware to solve an issue that is obviously affecting multiple customers. 

Netgear support -- what ist the ETA for resolving this firmware issue? This is simply unaccetpable levels of customer service. 

Screenshot 2021-03-22 090950.png

Message 32 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

I shouldn't have to rebuild everything from scratch. Clearly there is an issue with V2.6.2.104, as there are many complaints about the same issue (i.e., dropping packets, unstable internet, etc.). And then suddenly the online update service is unreachable. Clearly something is up. 

My Solution:

• First, I downgraded just the RBR20 to V.2.6.1.36 (no reason to downgrade the satellites). This improved my internet connection slightly, but still dropping packets.
  • Second, I downgraded one more time (based on recommendations from other posts) to V.2.3.5.30 which completely resolved the problem. Zero packet loss and internet is now rock solid like it has been for the last year.  

My Conclusion: 

• There is clearly an issue with current firmware versions 2.6.1.36 and higher and Netgear needs to be transparent about the issue and resolve it. 
Message 33 of 68
vajim
Master

@Jeeves1925 wrote:

My Conclusion: 

• There is clearly an issue with current firmware versions 2.6.1.36 and higher and Netgear needs to be transparent about the issue and resolve it. 

The real conclusion is that Netgear has a terrible firmware track record.  Be very cautious when considering ANY firmware update.  If you system is working best bet is to leave it be.

Others will say "it works for me so it should work for you' yet they have no no way to confirm whether ANY firmware will cause harm to your system.

Message 34 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

Thank you for the guidance. I have thoroughly learned my lesson. Smiley Frustrated

Message 35 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

I spoke too soon. Now that I've reverted to V.2.3.5.30 the wifi interface is completely unstable. Downgrading addressed the Internet side, but now it's impacting the wifi side. You may be right: Just build from scratch. 

I will double-check on Traffic Meter. I'm not sure if that is turned on. 

Thank you!

Message 36 of 68
vajim
Master

@Jeeves1925 wrote:

I spoke too soon. Now that I've reverted to V.2.3.5.30 the wifi interface is completely unstable. Downgrading addressed the Internet side, but now it's impacting the wifi side. You may be right: Just build from scratch. 

I will double-check on Traffic Meter. I'm not sure if that is turned on. 

Thank you!

once it's stable....leave it alone

Message 37 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

Just shut off Traffic Metering and now everything is stable. What's the deal with Traffic Meter? 

And yes, I'm leaving it alone, as it appears to be stable. 🙂

Message 38 of 68
vajim
Master

Message 39 of 68
mcvela007
Aspirant

Updated my firmware as well just last week. When connecting to my Orbi RBR20 it's saying INTERNET NOT AVAILABLE when my Frontier Modem is actually working. Is there a solve to this? I've never had issue if firmware upgrade for years until this one. So frustrating.

Message 40 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

@mcvela007 wrote:

Updated my firmware as well just last week. When connecting to my Orbi RBR20 it's saying INTERNET NOT AVAILABLE when my Frontier Modem is actually working. Is there a solve to this? I've never had issue if firmware upgrade for years until this one. So frustrating.

Message 41 of 68
sbillin2
Initiate

I had the same issue all internal network was fine,but no internet access sine the upgrade to V2.6.2.104.  I disabled the Circle feature and all has been stable since.

Message 42 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

Very good to know. I reverted to V2.5.1.16 on the router, but kept the satellites at V2.6.2.104. It's back to being rock-solid, so I'm very leary of updating the router again. 

Also, I shut off Traffic Metering per someone's advice in this thread, and that seemed to help, too. 

Message 43 of 68
vajim
Master

@Jeeves1925 wrote:

Very good to know. I reverted to V2.5.1.16 on the router, but kept the satellites at V2.6.2.104. It's back to being rock-solid, so I'm very leary of updating the router again. 

Also, I shut off Traffic Metering per someone's advice in this thread, and that seemed to help, too. 

I've always heard to keep the router and sats on the same version

Message 44 of 68
Jeeves1925
Guide

Probably so; but for the moment, it's stable as a rock, so going to let it be. 🙂 

Message 45 of 68
vajim
Master

@Jeeves1925 wrote:

Probably so; but for the moment, it's stable as a rock, so going to let it be. 🙂 

you sound like me

Message 46 of 68
junktrunk
Star

I'm having the same trouble as everyone else - RBR20 with two satellites, all was fairly stable, and then I upgraded to V2.6.2.104 a few days ago and it's been super flakey since then where devices report that they have a WiFi LAN connection but no internet. When it happens though, not all devices are unable to connect to the Internet usually - I can be working just fine on my laptop but my phone right next to me will suddenly start saying "no internet" even though it has an excellent wifi connection. And it's not just wifi devices - I see my wired Synology SAN which is absolutely rock solid also just reported that it's offline. I think there was some instability with the route/satellites though even prior to the firmware upgrade, for whatever that's worth.

Since the firmware update, I've disconnected both the router and the satellites from power and turned them each back on multiple times. I've done the same with the cable modem (MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0) and have had the cable company reset it remotely twice too for good measure. The problems persist.

I have just tried to disable the Traffic Meter since a) so many people here seem to be saying that is helping and b) the traffic meter results were all 0's anyway so it wasn't even working. Quick single data point result: my phone was saying no internet before I disabled Traffic Meter and currently is back online, so maybe that's the issue after all.

To the people who are saying you shouldn't upgrade your firmware, I say that's not an acceptable security situation. All that Netgear told us about this firmware update is that it "Fixes security vulnerability issues". Our routers are also primary network security defense mechanism and it's simply unreasonable to not be able to accept the latest firmware when it's released by a manufacturer - it's Netgear's responsbility to make sure it actually works before releasing it, and to be proactive in figuring out problems once they're announced by all these users. It seems like NG is saying they know it's a Traffic Meter problem, so why not just say that instead of telling people to waste their time factory resetting and reconfiguring their devices, or worse, rolling back to firmware version that is known to have whatever vulnerabilities were just patched.

Message 47 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@junktrunk wrote:

I'm having the same trouble as everyone else - RBR20 with two satellites, all was fairly stable, and then I upgraded to V2.6.2.104 a few days ago and it's been super flakey since then where devices report that they have a WiFi LAN connection but no internet. When it happens though, not all devices are unable to connect to the Internet usually - I can be working just fine on my laptop but my phone right next to me will suddenly start saying "no internet" even though it has an excellent wifi connection. And it's not just wifi devices - I see my wired Synology SAN which is absolutely rock solid also just reported that it's offline. I think there was some instability with the route/satellites though even prior to the firmware upgrade, for whatever that's worth.

Since the firmware update, I've disconnected both the router and the satellites from power and turned them each back on multiple times. I've done the same with the cable modem (MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0) and have had the cable company reset it remotely twice too for good measure. The problems persist.

I have just tried to disable the Traffic Meter since a) so many people here seem to be saying that is helping and b) the traffic meter results were all 0's anyway so it wasn't even working. Quick single data point result: my phone was saying no internet before I disabled Traffic Meter and currently is back online, so maybe that's the issue after all.

To the people who are saying you shouldn't upgrade your firmware, I say that's not an acceptable security situation. All that Netgear told us about this firmware update is that it "Fixes security vulnerability issues". Our routers are also primary network security defense mechanism and it's simply unreasonable to not be able to accept the latest firmware when it's released by a manufacturer - it's Netgear's responsbility to make sure it actually works before releasing it, and to be proactive in figuring out problems once they're announced by all these users. It seems like NG is saying they know it's a Traffic Meter problem, so why not just say that instead of telling people to waste their time factory resetting and reconfiguring their devices, or worse, rolling back to firmware version that is known to have whatever vulnerabilities were just patched.

Message 48 of 68
thiyagaraj
Aspirant

Yes, reverting to old firmware seems to be resolved the issue. go to netgear download page, and manually update the firmware.  

Message 49 of 68
junktrunk
Star

Reverting to old firmware may resolve your issue but still exposes you to the same security issues NG decided were severe enough to warrant updating these products in the first place. It's not a good solution.

Instead, it seems like NG is acknowledging to some people that the issue is in Traffic Meter. So before anyone downgrades firmware, please start by just disabling Traffic Meter with the current firmware. That seems to be doing the trick for me.
Message 50 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7