Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Satellite not connecting to the router

Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Satellite not connecting to the router

I have been using my Orbi RBR50 router with RBS50 satellites for nearly a month without any issues. I noticed that my satellite were connecting to the router. I've tried rebooting them both with no success. I also tried performing a reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset in the router and satelite, on the router works perfect( I changed the settings a network name and the password) but the Sayelite I pressed the button for as long as 30 seconds and they did not seem to reset to factory settings. It seems that the Satelite lost the comunication with the router and frezzed. Now I not even see the satelite in the www.orbilogin.com , maybe due the reset done in the router. The version of my router RBR50  firmaware is V2.2.1.210.  I've been reading in forums about some issues with firmware, though I don't know if that plays any part. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

I also have  tried several times to resync the satellite after reseted the router without sucsess . I  tried several times reset the satelite but was unable to get them to do that either. It was almost as if they were stuck in some rebooting phase and would not respond to anything. No matter how many times a power cycled, how long I held in the reset button, the only thing they did was blink a white ring. I don't know what caused the issue, I can only speculate that it has something to do with the router updating to a newer version of firmware and the satellites could no longer communicate properly.
Now I can not check the satelite firmaware once it is not appering in the www.orbilogin.com anymore, what can I do?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Try connecting the Satellite to the Router with Ethernet cable and see if they will sysnc. If you get the Satellite up please make sure it's also updated to the latest software. Please also make sure Daisy Chain is activated (it seems that backhaul does not work properly in this software without Daisy Chain). After that you can disconnect the cable and try wireless backhaul again.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Itried connect by cable but but the sittuation kept the same, the router did not see the satelite. 

What you menas about dayse chain, whre I can configure this?

i si possible I communicate with the satelite without the router using my PC? I would like to check the firmware.

Message 3 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Itried connect by cable but but the sittuation kept the same, the router did not see the satelite. 

What you menas about dayse chain, whre I can configure this?

i si possible I communicate with the satelite without the router using my PC? I would like to check the firmware.

Unfortunately you can't connect to the satellite except through the router.

You can find the Daisy Chain settings here:

Namnlöst.png

Please note that you need to press the Sync buttons on both router and satellite to make them look for each other? You can also use the "Add Satellite" procedure in the GUI as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Message 4 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Thanks I checked and the configuration is corre t, dayse chain , 

I pressed both side the sync button, but does not worked.

Why when I try to reset the satelie it`s not working? Is it a matter of firmaware?

The satelite seems normal, it is on, the led is green, but not answer any action I have done. 

Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Do you see the Satellite anywhere in the “Attached Devices” list in the GUI?
This menu you can find under Basic settings

Namnlöst 2.png

Message 6 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Why when I try to reset the satelie it`s not working? Is it a matter of firmaware?

The satelite seems normal, it is on, the led is green, but not answer any action I have done. 

This can also be an issue in the router. Can be an IP assignment issue:

- Is the Orbi set in Router or AP mode?

Namnlöst 2.png

- If in Router mode. What DHCP range do you have?

Namnlöst.png

- Are your devices assigned the IP addresses in the range above?

- Please make sure that the Satellite is not in the Block list under "Access Control":

Namnlöst 2.png

- Do you have the possibility to make a wifi scan? With a wifi scan you could see if the Router is broadcasting the Backhaul network with no SSID. Check the frequency and power level of that network.

Message 7 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Thanks for the help, bellow the configurantions you asked:

- The router is in Mode RouterCaptura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 19.58.40.png

-The range of IP is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.02.25.png

Are your devices assigned the IP addresses in the range above?

The devices assigned are is the range

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.06.27.png

Please make sure that the Satellite is not in the Block list under "Access Control":

The satelite is not in the block list or the other two list.

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.11.37.png

Do you have the possibility to make a wifi scan? With a wifi scan you could see if the Router is broadcasting the Backhaul network with no SSID. Check the frequency and power level of that network.

I have the Genie app in my cellphone I don`t know If I did correct the scan but it semms ok as you can see bellow. Why I check If the Router is broadcasting the Backhaul network with no SSID?

Screenshot_20181225-201856_genie.jpg

Are there anything esle I can do ?

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

The satellite should connect to the base router while in the same room for an initial setup. Once you have it synced there, you should be able to power down the satellite, then go place it at the remote location and it should come back online and connected. 

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

I have been using my Orbi RBR50 router with RBS50 satellites for nearly a month without any issues. I noticed that my satellite were connecting to the router. I've tried rebooting them both with no success. I also tried performing a reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset in the router and satelite, on the router works perfect( I changed the settings a network name and the password) but the Sayelite I pressed the button for as long as 30 seconds and they did not seem to reset to factory settings. It seems that the Satelite lost the comunication with the router and frezzed. Now I not even see the satelite in the www.orbilogin.com , maybe due the reset done in the router. The version of my router RBR50  firmaware is V2.2.1.210.  I've been reading in forums about some issues with firmware, though I don't know if that plays any part. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

I also have  tried several times to resync the satellite after reseted the router without sucsess . I  tried several times reset the satelite but was unable to get them to do that either. It was almost as if they were stuck in some rebooting phase and would not respond to anything. No matter how many times a power cycled, how long I held in the reset button, the only thing they did was blink a white ring. I don't know what caused the issue, I can only speculate that it has something to do with the router updating to a newer version of firmware and the satellites could no longer communicate properly.
Now I can not check the satelite firmaware once it is not appering in the www.orbilogin.com anymore, what can I do?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)

Message 9 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Thanks for the help, bellow the configurantions you asked:

- The router is in Mode RouterCaptura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 19.58.40.png

-The range of IP is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.02.25.png

Are your devices assigned the IP addresses in the range above?

The devices assigned are is the range

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.06.27.png

Please make sure that the Satellite is not in the Block list under "Access Control":

The satelite is not in the block list or the other two list.

Captura de Tela 2018-12-25 às 20.11.37.png

Do you have the possibility to make a wifi scan? With a wifi scan you could see if the Router is broadcasting the Backhaul network with no SSID. Check the frequency and power level of that network.

I have the Genie app in my cellphone I don`t know If I did correct the scan but it semms ok as you can see bellow. Why I check If the Router is broadcasting the Backhaul network with no SSID?

Thanks for the information. I'm waiting for your pictures to be "moderated" so that I can see them. I still can't see them. 🙂

Message 10 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Can you please show the wifi scan of all Orbi networks that you see in the Genie app. I can't understand the scan snapshot above, is your SSID called "ORBI84" or is it "Tonyhome"? There must also be a network with no such SSID, a "hidden" network which is the backhaul network broadcasted by the router. Can you see it?

Message 11 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Can you please show the wifi scan of all Orbi networks that you see in the Genie app. I can't understand the scan snapshot above, is your SSID called "ORBI84" or is it "Tonyhome"?

Yes the network name o ORBI84 Tonyhome

Bellow the Network Map from Genie:

Screenshot_20181226-132050_genie.jpg

There must also be a network with no such SSID, a "hidden" network which is the backhaul network broadcasted by the router. Can you see it?

Can you explain me how to see this hidden network? I sit possible using the Genie app or I need another app? If is it possible with Genie , please inform in wich function.

Thanks

Message 12 of 17
ekhalil
Master

I still can't see the image that you posted. A moderator has to approve it to be able to see it.

I see that you have a Macbook. You can use the native wifi analyser in MacOS as follows:

1. Press Option key + Click on the Wi-Fi menu item in OS X
  2. Choose “Open Wireless Diagnostics”
  3. Go to the “Window” menu and choose “Scan” to immediately open the Wi-Fi Stumbler tool built into Mac OS X
  4. Within the Scanner tool, click on the Scan button to scan for available networks
  5. This will open the wireless card to detect all possible nearby wifi networks, effectively stumbling onto available wireless routers and discovering details about those networks.

mac-wifi-stumbler-network-scan-tool-900x386.jpg

In this scan you will see all your networks. There are networks with no SSID, those are the ones broadcasted by your Router for Backhaul. You can identify them by the MAC address which is close to the MAC address of the other networks of yours.

Message 13 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Ok I did the scan and indentified the net work without SSID, now what I need to do.

Message 14 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Ok I did the scan and indentified the net work without SSID, now what I need to do.

- What channel i sbeing used and what is the power level you see when measuring near the Satellite?

- Please try disabling Daisy Chain and see if that helps.

- Have you tried the "Add new Satellite" in orbilogin.com instead of pressing the sync button on the router? Can it be something wrong with the sync or reset buttons on the satellite or the router? Can you see that the router and satellite are reacting to pressing these buttons?

Message 15 of 17
Tonyreis71
Aspirant

Thanks for the attetion and help, but I tried everything under my contrl.

I quit with this device.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Factory reset all then setup from scratch after the re-load...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

If this still fails, I recommend you phone contact NG support and ask for help and information regarding this. Ask for an RMA. 

@Tonyreis71 wrote:

Thanks for the attetion and help, but I tried everything under my contrl.

I quit with this device.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7