Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 & Virgin Media

duncanbell3
Guide

Orbi RBR50 & Virgin Media

Hi all

I'm a bit perplexed if I'm honest and would appreciate any help.

As it says in the title I have an RBR50 and Virgin Media.

I have been limited to 100MBPS package but just upgraded to the 350MBPS package.

My PC which is plugged directly in to the ethernet is flying at top speeds but the wifi in the house is still limited to 100MBPS.

I'm assuming it's some sort of software issue?

Firmware is the latest and I have rebooted the modem and the mesh system but it's still the same.

I'm stuck so any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

ba5644f0-2d44-4ef4-b4fd-9a1958a4a1d8.jpg

orbi speed.jpg

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
duncanbell3
Guide

Right after all these software issues it was actually nothing of the sort!

Changed the ethernet cable to a CAT8 (which was still cheap) and it fixed the problem.
Wifi now flying at the correct speeds.

Which actually begs the question, why do Netgear Orbi only supply low grade ethernet cables?

This should surely come as some sort of warning on all Orbi products.

Really frustrating but glad just £10 can resolve the problem.

Sorry for wasting all of your time but REALLY appreciate all the help.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
duncanbell3
Guide

Just as an update, if I link to the Virgin wifi then I do get massively high speeds over 300MBPS but the reason I have the Orbi because the Virgin range is rubbish!

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too? I believe most Virgin Media services have a modem with built in router. If so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Try option #2 first...

Message 3 of 13
duncanbell3
Guide

Thanks for coming back to me.

I have turned the Virgin hub 3 into modem mode but then the Orbi system cannot pick up any internet at all.

Something seems to be blocking it.

I checked the settings and logged in - Orbi is in router mode.

All the feedback I have had has said that this should work - it does but I am limited to 100MBPS but only when the Virgin Hub 3 is also in router mode rather than modem mode.

In modem mode the Orbi cannot pick anything up.

Just for clarity as I admit to being a complete novice at this, the Orbi router is linked via ethernet from the Virgin Hub 3.

As I said, it works but it's being strangled.

Literally nothing is linked to the Virgin Hub 3 via wifi - everything in the house is linked to the Orbi.

Really sorry but I am a novice - I have found the Virgin DMZ below.

virgin DMZ.jpg

When you say 'configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem.'

Can you explain in words of 1 syllable?

Sorry and thanks

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information for there modem when it's in modem mode. There maybe specific configurations that is required by the ISP for modem mode. They should know. 

For use of the DMZ, input the IP address the RBR gets from the modem. You'll see this on the RBRs web page under the Advanced Tab/Internet section near the top right. Put this address where you see the DMZ address on the modems web page you posted here. 

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

(I have spent the afternoon watching an Air Conditioning repairman run up a tremendous bill making my house cool again, and just now saw this conversation....)

One thing that stands out to me is that 92MB/s is a suspicious number:

CrimpOn_0-1665448542954.png

i.e. it is about the maximum possible throughput over a 100MB Ethernet connection.

Could you please open the Orbi web browser interface (http://orbilogin.net), Navigate to the Advanced Tab, and click on the blue item in the Internet section titled "Show Statistics"?

What does the router report for the WAN Port?  Is it:

• 1000/Full, or
  • 100/Full

These days, Ethernet devices "auto-sense" the maximum speed that each is capable of and agree to use that speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation 

The Orbi WAN port is clearly 1GB/s, and one might expect the Virgin port to be the same. (would have to see the Product Data sheet for the specific Virgin model to be sure).  Sometimes there can be something "off" about the cable that causes the devices to negotiate a lower speed than expected.

(or..... I remain frustrated and confused by an unexpected repair bill and 92MB/s is merely a coincidence.)

Message 6 of 13
duncanbell3
Guide

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your woes.
Try living in the UK, the gas and electricity bills are through the roof!

OK it seems its Limited to 100mbps
Ive also seen that the ethernet cable can restrict speeds so I've order at cat7 cable.
Maybe that will help. I'll try anything!

Screenshot for the WAN port here

REALLY appreciate your help.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

That would indicate the that the ISP modem may only support 100Mpbs on its WAN port as the RBR is detecting this connection rate. 

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

This reference shows the Virgin Media Hub 3 as having 4 1GB Ethernet LAN ports:

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Virgin_Media_Super_Hub_3 

CrimpOn_0-1665505668753.png

When the new cable arrives, please return to the forum and report what happened.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping new cable will solve this. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 10 of 13
duncanbell3
Guide

Right after all these software issues it was actually nothing of the sort!

Changed the ethernet cable to a CAT8 (which was still cheap) and it fixed the problem.
Wifi now flying at the correct speeds.

Which actually begs the question, why do Netgear Orbi only supply low grade ethernet cables?

Really frustrating but glad just £10 can resolve the problem.

Sorry for wasting all of your time but REALLY appreciate all the help.

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@duncanbell3 wrote:

Manufacturers package thousands of Ethernet patch cables with products (Round, Flat, Cat5e, Cat6... Cat-whatever) and very few customers appear to experience this issue.  It was the 92MB/s that led to this discovery.  If the Orbi had reported 102MB/s I would never question the cable.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7