× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi rebooting itself daily

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Ok. Let us know if it happens again. 

Message 26 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

@FURRYe38 @CrimpOn Bad news guys. The Orbi rebooted at 5:32am this morning as identified by this line in the Orbi admin log:

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.5.30] Thursday, December 05, 2019 05:32:01

I've attached my wireshark logs that were filterd on "UDP port 67 or 68" with the Orbi debug setting enabled for WAN Port mirror to LAN port1. I had not ticked Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture. 

 

If the Orbi initiliased at the above time then it must've rebooted at least a few mins before reinitialisation. It's interesting that nothing was logged for about 2 hours prior to the reboot time.

 

Unfortunately, I can't really see anything that immediately stands out to me in the logs just prior to the reboot. I would assume around the 5:30am mark, where the logging starts up again, is probably where the Orbi is reinitialising rather than where it went down/crashed.

 

Hoping you guys find something!

 

Just an edit, I named the log file 20191105 but it should be 20191205. Haven't quite caught up that we've clicked over into December and I can't remove and replace the file for some reason 🙂

Message 27 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

I would get this over to NG support for there review.

@Blanca_O 

 

In meantime, I woud do this. Download either v34 or v40 FW version for you system, manually load the RBS first, then the RBR lastly using a wired PC and IE11, FF or Opera browsers. After the FW has been loaded, factory reset the the entire system and walk thru the setup wizard. After setting up the system, be sure to save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. I would uncheck all log collection accept for system activity for Logs. Don't enable any debug logging or mirror WAN to LAN! Take a screen shot of the debug.htm page after getting it setup. Then let the system run. Check back with the debug page every so often or day or so. Look at the system uptime. Might take screen shots of this each time you visit the page. Take notice if the system up time changes to back to a low value. 

 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.


Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?


@sAmiZZle wrote:

Bad news guys. The Orbi rebooted at 5:32am this morning as identified by this line in the Orbi admin log:

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.5.30] Thursday, December 05, 2019 05:32:01

I've attached my wireshark logs that were filterd on "UDP port 67 or 68" with the Orbi debug setting enabled for WAN Port mirror to LAN port1. I had not ticked Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture. 

 

If the Orbi initiliased at the above time then it must've rebooted at least a few mins before reinitialisation. It's interesting that nothing was logged for about 2 hours prior to the reboot time.

 

Unfortunately, I can't really see anything that immediately stands out to me in the logs just prior to the reboot. I would assume around the 5:30am mark, where the logging starts up again, is probably where the Orbi is reinitialising rather than where it went down/crashed.

 

Hoping you guys find something!

 

Just an edit, I named the log file 20191105 but it should be 20191205. Haven't quite caught up that we've clicked over into December and I can't remove and replace the file for some reason 🙂


 

Message 28 of 69
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily


@sAmiZZle wrote:

@FURRYe38 @CrimpOn Bad news guys. The Orbi rebooted at 5:32am this morning as identified by this line in the Orbi admin log:

[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.5.30] Thursday, December 05, 2019 05:32:01

I've attached my wireshark logs that were filterd on "UDP port 67 or 68" with the Orbi debug setting enabled for WAN Port mirror to LAN port1. I had not ticked Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture. 


Alas, this is what happened to me.  Even though my Wireshark was connected to Port 1, the only packets I captured were internal LAN packets.  No WAN packets at all.  This is enormously disappointing.  I had SO hoped that my Orbi was not working correctly and yours was.  So far, no one has responded to my request for guidance on how to make the Port 1 mirror function.

 

"I got nothin'"

Message 29 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

@CrimpOn 


@sAmiZZle wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 as mentioned in my above post, I've enabled only WAN Port mirror to LAN port1. I have not ticked Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture.


 

Message 30 of 69
TarjeiB
Guide

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Ah, I have the exact same problem. I've tried everything, and can't get a log nor any reason as to why it is happening.
Happens several times per day for me, so either my system is worse than yours, or there is some trigger condition (traffic or power line noise were my initial ideas).

I did put on some 15V supercaps on the power supply line and it helped exactly zero, so it's not a power line problem.

The only other connected wire is the ethernet cable from the modem, so it could be voltage spikes from there but every other (many!) routers I have tried does not exhibit any problems.

I'm now clinging to the hope that it's a common hardware error and not a design flaw, so I'll try getting it exchanged for a new one. If that one has the same problem I am off to another brand I guess.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Yeah I finally bit the bullet and contacted Netgear. I had been trying everything on my end to investigate and troubleshoot the past 3 months. Little did I know that the official free support period by Netgear is only for 3 months and after that you have to pay :O. Even if you select the RMA option online you have to call them so that they do not auto-close your support ticket!

 

Thankfully, I was fortunate enough after explaining the issue to them that they would support me through investigating the issue rather than RMA'ing it immediately.

 

So far they are telling me that my house, which is approx 18 squares (1800 feet) is too small for an RBK setup. Meaning that they think the satellite's signal is interfering with the router's and causing the issue, so they have asked me to turn the satellite off. I mean, disconnects and intereference I can understand. But, I'm a little bit suspicious about that causing a reboot on the router.

 

I'm also a bit perplexed how there could be interference between router and satellite when the router's signal to the very front of my house is degraded to about 70dB, given I have an odd shaped house with walls and things in the way. So, to me it still seems like I would need the satallite to get the full signal to the front of my house regardless.

 

Anyhow, will see how it all goes and if I find out anything useful will report back. 

Message 32 of 69
TarjeiB
Guide

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

The whole notion that your satellites can spontaneously reboot the router is ridiculous, but it will be interesting to see the investigation nonetheless!
Message 33 of 69
Engrpas
Aspirant

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

My internet signal does not come from satellite, but from fiber optic cable, and the Orbi is attached to the modem's ethernet port. Mine reboots several times a day at random. So it can't be the satellite signal. 

 

I first noticed the rebooting when I installed fire sticks on my TV's, the TV would display a message that there is a network error and is trying to reconnect. About 30 seconds later, it's connected again. I assumed it was the ISP losing signal, but one day I was talking on a phone connected directly to the modem, and it was still working through this outage, and I realized for sure that it was the in-house wifi doing it. 

 

So I don't believe your satellite is the culprit. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 69
TarjeiB
Guide

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

I meant the Netgear RBS50 mesh satellite 🙂 But you are right, it should not be related to it anyway.
Message 35 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. If there is too much wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS, then this can cause problems.

 

Let us know how the RBR works with the RBS turned off. 

 


@sAmiZZle wrote:

Yeah I finally bit the bullet and contacted Netgear. I had been trying everything on my end to investigate and troubleshoot the past 3 months. Little did I know that the official free support period by Netgear is only for 3 months and after that you have to pay :O. Even if you select the RMA option online you have to call them so that they do not auto-close your support ticket!

 

Thankfully, I was fortunate enough after explaining the issue to them that they would support me through investigating the issue rather than RMA'ing it immediately.

 

So far they are telling me that my house, which is approx 18 squares (1800 feet) is too small for an RBK setup. Meaning that they think the satellite's signal is interfering with the router's and causing the issue, so they have asked me to turn the satellite off. I mean, disconnects and intereference I can understand. But, I'm a little bit suspicious about that causing a reboot on the router.

 

I'm also a bit perplexed how there could be interference between router and satellite when the router's signal to the very front of my house is degraded to about 70dB, given I have an odd shaped house with walls and things in the way. So, to me it still seems like I would need the satallite to get the full signal to the front of my house regardless.

 

Anyhow, will see how it all goes and if I find out anything useful will report back. 


 

Message 36 of 69
Engrpas
Aspirant

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Ignore what I said above . . . I thought they were referring to the incoming satellite. 

I did move the satellite Orbi closer to the main station, it's now about 35 feet, it was almost 50 feet, and eliminated one drywall in between - now there is only one drywall. Maybe it will not reboot anymore, I'll keep you posted. 

Message 37 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Ok, Let us know. Hope it stays up. 


@Engrpas wrote:

Ignore what I said above . . . I thought they were referring to the incoming satellite. 

I did move the satellite Orbi closer to the main station, it's now about 35 feet, it was almost 50 feet, and eliminated one drywall in between - now there is only one drywall. Maybe it will not reboot anymore, I'll keep you posted. 


 

Message 38 of 69
Engrpas
Aspirant

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

It did reboot once shortly after I moved it, but has stayed up for several hours now. 

But how do I get a log showing when it reboots? The log I'm seeing is very complicated and hard to figure out what it means - at least for me. Is there any sign of rebooting? When I moved the satellite earlier today, I unplugged it, but kept the main station running. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

Here is the log of the last few hours:

------------------------------------------------

[admin login] from source 10.0.0.12, Friday, December 06, 2019 19:15:49

[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 18:19:54

[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 18:19:47

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.13] to MAC address 38:c9:86:33:74:95, Friday, December 06, 2019 16:51:06

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.8] to MAC address 24:4c:e3:5e:9d:54, Friday, December 06, 2019 16:40:41

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.2] to MAC address f0:99:bf:00:34:0f, Friday, December 06, 2019 16:06:14

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.3] to MAC address 00:90:a9:ed:47:73, Friday, December 06, 2019 16:04:22

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.13] to MAC address 38:c9:86:33:74:95, Friday, December 06, 2019 15:36:28

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.12] to MAC address a4:f1:e8:8b:5f:11, Friday, December 06, 2019 15:16:42

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.13] to MAC address 38:c9:86:33:74:95, Friday, December 06, 2019 15:01:12

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.4] to MAC address 00:06:78:2f:2e:9a, Friday, December 06, 2019 14:49:25

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.15] to MAC address 8c:85:90:e0:4f:30, Friday, December 06, 2019 14:38:11

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.13] to MAC address 38:c9:86:33:74:95, Friday, December 06, 2019 14:37:24

[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 14:17:47

[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 14:17:39

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.17] to MAC address a0:51:0b:52:07:f6, Friday, December 06, 2019 13:22:58

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.11] to MAC address b0:5a:da:88:37:54, Friday, December 06, 2019 12:22:10

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.14] to MAC address 24:4c:e3:83:f2:d9, Friday, December 06, 2019 12:05:57

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 8a:d2:94:b0:06:73, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:14:53

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.9] to MAC address 78:d2:94:b0:06:73, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:14:13

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.10] to MAC address c4:95:00:ec:dc:52, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:10:59

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.14] to MAC address 24:4c:e3:83:f2:d9, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:10:58

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.7] to MAC address cc:f7:35:14:24:37, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:10:55

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.15] to MAC address 8c:85:90:e0:4f:30, Friday, December 06, 2019 11:10:51

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.13] to MAC address 38:c9:86:33:74:95, Friday, December 06, 2019 10:17:36

[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 10:15:40

[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 10:15:31

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.15] to MAC address 8c:85:90:e0:4f:30, Friday, December 06, 2019 10:13:51

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.6] to MAC address 64:52:99:96:03:83, Friday, December 06, 2019 09:13:42

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.14] to MAC address 24:4c:e3:83:f2:d9, Friday, December 06, 2019 06:54:14

[UPnP set event: del_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 06:13:32

[UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source 10.0.0.3, Friday, December 06, 2019 06:13:22

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.12] to MAC address a4:f1:e8:8b:5f:11, Friday, December 06, 2019 05:27:21

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.10] to MAC address c4:95:00:ec:dc:52, Friday, December 06, 2019 05:25:01

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.8] to MAC address 24:4c:e3:5e:9d:54, Friday, December 06, 2019 05:09:28

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 39 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

You can't get a log of when it reboots. That's the problem with this router!

Message 40 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

@CrimpOn @FURRYe38 @TarjeiB So, latest update from me is that after turning off the satellite I didn't have a wifi signal at the front of my house. That proved that the signal from the router was not going to be strong enough to conflict with the satellite's signal (assuming that was even a thing).

 

So, I called Netgear back and told them that this is not going to be an option. This time the consultant I spoke to advised me that this issue must be due to a faulty router because a interference issue would not cause a reboot of the router. So, he told me he would RMA it, but only the router and not the satellite (even though I bought them as a set). So, here's hoping the new router will fix the issue and the satellite is not part of the issue!

Message 41 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Good to hear. Sounds like it's just faulty. 

 

I checked mine:

Basic Infomation
CPU Load 10.8911%
Memory Usage(Used/Total) 149MB/495MB
Flash Usage(Used/Total) 2945MB/4096MB
Network Session(Active/Total) 1235/65536
System Uptime 04:18:21:53
Before going off line to put a RBK852 online.

 

Let us know how the new unit works for you. 


@sAmiZZle wrote:

@CrimpOn @FURRYe38 @TarjeiB So, latest update from me is that after turning off the satellite I didn't have a wifi signal at the front of my house. That proved that the signal from the router was not going to be strong enough to conflict with the satellite's signal (assuming that was even a thing).

 

So, I called Netgear back and told them that this is not going to be an option. This time the consultant I spoke to advised me that this issue must be due to a faulty router because a interference issue would not cause a reboot of the router. So, he told me he would RMA it, but only the router and not the satellite (even though I bought them as a set). So, here's hoping the new router will fix the issue and the satellite is not part of the issue!


 

Message 42 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

@FURRYe38 , @CrimpOn  Well I've gone through the process of the RMA and whilst Netgear explicitly asked me to only return the router and not the satellite, they have sent me a replacement kit containing both! It is an RBK50, but I believe the reason why they've sent the whole kit is because there is an RBR50v2 and RBS50v2 inside. Could be likely that the RBS50 is not compatible or they don't want to take that risk?

 

Can confirm as others have mentioned that the power adapters on the V2 revision are lower output and look smaller, yellower and cheaper. I haven't looked into whethere there are any other differences on the actual router or satellite hardware yet. But, to be honest, if that's what comes in the new kit I don't really care as long as it is all stable and works.

 

I've just set it up and done a firmware update in the app to V2.5.1.8. It says there is no newer firmware version available in the app. On the Netgear support page, however, for the RBR50v2 it says the latest current version is the same as the original RBR50 - which is the 2.3.5.34 Hot Fix! I'm now very cautious about applying firmware updates from the support page on this router as they seem to be on a completely different branch (2.3.x.x instead of 2.5.x.x) and there is absolutely no mention of a 2.5.x.x even in the previous versions! Weird!!!??

 

So, I will refrain from doing a manual firware update at this point and just see how it all goes from here!

Message 43 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily


@sAmiZZle wrote:

 

 

So, I will refrain from doing a manual firware update at this point and just see how it all goes from here!


Smart decision...Good luck!

Message 44 of 69
TarjeiB
Guide

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

I exchanged mine for a new RBK50v2 at the store (only the RBR50) and it seems to be working much better (after 1 day anyway). Let's see how it holds up.

Message 45 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

I think you'll be good here. Sounds like the prior RBR was faulty is all. 

 

What FW came loaded on the new system? 

Yes the v2 series uses the same FW and the v1. Just no USB port is all. I think maybe a memory size change difference as well. 

 

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 


@sAmiZZle wrote:

Well I've gone through the process of the RMA and whilst Netgear explicitly asked me to only return the router and not the satellite, they have sent me a replacement kit containing both! It is an RBK50, but I believe the reason why they've sent the whole kit is because there is an RBR50v2 and RBS50v2 inside. Could be likely that the RBS50 is not compatible or they don't want to take that risk?

 

Can confirm as others have mentioned that the power adapters on the V2 revision are lower output and look smaller, yellower and cheaper. I haven't looked into whethere there are any other differences on the actual router or satellite hardware yet. But, to be honest, if that's what comes in the new kit I don't really care as long as it is all stable and works.

 

I've just set it up and done a firmware update in the app to V2.5.1.8. It says there is no newer firmware version available in the app. On the Netgear support page, however, for the RBR50v2 it says the latest current version is the same as the original RBR50 - which is the 2.3.5.34 Hot Fix! I'm now very cautious about applying firmware updates from the support page on this router as they seem to be on a completely different branch (2.3.x.x instead of 2.5.x.x) and there is absolutely no mention of a 2.5.x.x even in the previous versions! Weird!!!??

 

So, I will refrain from doing a manual firware update at this point and just see how it all goes from here!


 

Message 46 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Ahhh damn you're right I lost the USB Port! Just as well I have my little NAS connected via ethernet. Would've been nice to have the option though. Just sayin'...
Message 47 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

WE know. NG seems to be moving away from any USB support on Orbi. It's not even present on Orbi AX. 

 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 


Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 48 of 69
sAmiZZle
Tutor

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Definitely will do if I clear another few days without any reboots!
Message 49 of 69
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi rebooting itself daily

Smiley Wink

Message 50 of 69
Discussion stats
  • 68 replies
  • 13681 views
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7