× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 unable to handle gigabit connection?

Liquidcore
Star

RBR50 unable to handle gigabit connection?

Hi there, I recently purchased the RBK50 to improve the WiFi range in my house and have configured the RBR50 as a router rather than an AP but it seems to be having trouble handling my gigabit connection. Firmware is 2.5.0.38.

My connection is 900/500, PPPoE, vlan 10 tagging. The ONT is a Nokia G-140W-C.

Using the internal Speedtest app in both scenarios:
ONT -> RBR50 - speeds around 400 down/300 up

ONT -> Fritzbox -> RBR50 (AP mode) - speeds around 900 down/500 up

This suggests to me that the RBR50 cannot handle the routing of a gigabit connection.

Has anybody had similar experiences?

Thanks!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 53
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please do a search.  Lots of posts about  2.5.0.38 and it’s problems 

Message 2 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Thanks for the response - I had read quite a few threads before posting but unsure if any match my problem.

I guess another question would be whether anybody has a gigabit connection being routed fine using the RBR50 with PPPoE? And if so, what firmware version they are on.
Message 3 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

The  version of FW isn't the problem as this has been on going since before v38:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@Liquidcore wrote:
Hi there, I recently purchased the RBK50 to improve the WiFi range in my house and have configured the RBR50 as a router rather than an AP but it seems to be having trouble handling my gigabit connection. Firmware is 2.5.0.38.

This suggests to me that the RBR50 cannot handle the routing of a gigabit connection.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 53
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The  version of FW isn't the problem as this has been on going since before v38:

Yes it is.     Admit the truth 

was the the network ever working?

why not change the firmware?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

@Liquidcore wrote:

Thanks!

Message 5 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Thank you for the replies.

Apologies for my ignorance but does testing the speed directly from the in-built Speedtest app count as WAN to LAN? I feel as though the RBR50 cannot handle gigabit WAN?
Message 6 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the built in speed test is based on the WAN side only connection. Not actual WAN to LAN thruput process. 

The best way to test to see if WAN to LAN is fully working is using a wired PC connected to the RBR and use Ooklas speed test app for Windows or Mac. 

So with my RBR50 behind a RBR850, I am seeing faster speeds. Something I can't reproduce when the RBR is alone with just two PCs speed testing. I feel this is something in FW. Going back probably a few versions at least. Not sure how far back as I've only had my RBR50 for about 9-12 months. I can speed test my RBR850 with just two PCs and it tops out at over 900Mbps. If I put the RBR50 in same test configruration, it tops out at just over 400Mbps. Though if it sits behind the RBR850 thats working as the main host router, the RBR50 in router mode, double NAT, it seeing upwards of 700Mbps. Very odd behavior. 

@Liquidcore wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

Apologies for my ignorance but does testing the speed directly from the in-built Speedtest app count as WAN to LAN? I feel as though the RBR50 cannot handle gigabit WAN?

Message 7 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Thanks for the reply yet again and confirming my suspicions 🙂

I wonder if it is because the connection is PPPoE and the RBR is struggling with the gigabit WAN? If that's the case then I might just have to use it in AP mode instead, which is a bit of a shame.
Message 8 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the users posting about this same issue, some of them are using PPPoE. My ISP is cable so no PPPoE. I just got 1Gb last friday and so far my RBR850 is working at 900Mbps. I need to find some time to test the RBR50 out live on it. Just with initial isolated testing with the RBR50, doesn't seem like it will. And why the RBR50 seems to get faster speeds while sitting behind the RBR850 is odd as well. 

I would file a support ticket with NG and see if you can get anyone to respond on this. I have asked for updates on this, however it's been crickets. 

I'll post back when I get my RBR50 connected live on my ISP modem. 

Message 9 of 53
Mitch2k2
Aspirant

I've been experiencing basically the same exact situation.

Edited to add: ...but I'm using the 2.3.5.30 fw

@Liquidcore wrote:

Message 10 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

@Liquidcore and @Mitch2k2 and anyone else not seeing near 900Mbps with there Orbi routers with wired speed tests. I was contacted by NG support today. There looking into this. Asked for some debug logs and configuration of my test software. 

For those if you who are having problems, can you please log into the following web page on the RBR and enable WAN/LAN Packet capture then start the debug capture. 

http:\\192.168.1.1\debug.htm

When you start the debug log capture, access routers UI and run speedtest (Advanced TAB > Setup > Speed Test). Once done, you can save the logs. 

I would also re-start the WAN/LAN packet capture again and start debug logs then run a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app for a wire connected Windows or Mac PC. Once done, you can save the logs. 

Message 11 of 53
Mitch2k2
Aspirant

To whom/where should we send these logs?
Message 12 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Post them up in the cloud, i.e. dropbox, googledrive or something to host your .zip files. Send the shared access URL link to @Blanca_O 

@Mitch2k2 wrote:
To whom/where should we send these logs?

Message 13 of 53
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Liquidcore and @Mitch2k2

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Just replied to you 🙂
Message 15 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully NG can get this figured out once and for all. 

@Liquidcore wrote:
Just replied to you 🙂

Message 16 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Hopefully it isn't a hardware limitation! Your double NAT experiment demonstrating better throughput provides me with some hope that it isn't hardware related.
Message 17 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping as well. Ya seems odd that the RBR50 does better behind a router for some reason. I'm going to put the RBR50 online this weekend directly to the modem and test again. Haven't had any time this week to play around. So this weekend will see what happens. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so I connected my RBR50 to WAN port #2 on my C1100 cable modem. RBR850 is on WAN port #1. 1Gb/50Mbps

RBR50 is seeing near 900Mbps with my wired PC speed testing thru the RBR50 using Ooklas installable speed test app in windows 10: Orbi FW v40

RBR50BehindCM1100Port#2.png

Makes me wonder if type of modem or something in the RBRs detection of modems on the WAN side and such could be playing a roll in this. If I take the RBR50 and test it alone with just two PCs and a Gb switch, the RBR50 won't see anything much over 400Mbps. Seems like the RBR50's detection on the WAN side maybe a factor here.

So for this test, the RBR50 connected to a CM1100 cable modem is seeing near 900Mbps. Maybe the Modem detection system with the RBR50s is failing for some users here and there modems. 

Message 19 of 53
Liquidcore
Star

Your modem is able to output on multiple WAN ports? Unfortunately only one WAN port is used on the ONT for our services.

Spent 40 minutes on the phone with 2nd line support yesterday (thanks Blanca for passing details on). Updated to .40 firmware, took debug logs before and after, and the agent also TeamViewered in to grab some more screenshots/data. Even she was shocked at the low throughput. She said she has now collected all the required data and will fire it off to the engineering team.
Message 20 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, on CM1100, theres two WAN ports. Supports LAG which I haven't enabled and simlutanious dual WAN port use which I'm currently using for each of the RBRs. 

Glad NG was able to collect more data from you on this. Hopefully they can figure out what is going on for the RBR and WAN modem and speed detection. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 53
Mitch2k2
Aspirant

I hope so too. This is extremely disappointing, and I really don’t think we should need to buy modems to put in front of a “top of the line” mesh network system.

And anyway, for those of us with ONTs, that’d probably create a whole new slew of problems.
Message 22 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

A ISP interface device IS needed in front of the any router. Modem or Fiber ONT or otherwise. However seems like the RBR more particular in how it detecting speeds between certain modems or ONTs. Seems like some of you who have posted about this are using ONTs or we see more posts about this from users with ONTs vs modems. 

@Mitch2k2 If you haven't made contact with the forum moderator already, please contact them and collect WAN/LAN packet and debug log captures while speed testing with a wired PC thru the RBR and using the on board speed test app and send the results and your modem or ONT Mfr and model configuration information to them. They will pass this on to NG engineers to review. Hopefully find out what is going on and get it fixed. 

Message 23 of 53
Mitch2k2
Aspirant

Already did @FURRYe38, and I am behind an ONT.

Have heard nothing back.

At this point, if I was still in the return period, I’d do so in a heartbeat and purchase something else.

It’s a shame.
Message 24 of 53
FURRYe38
Guru

If your within your return period, I would return it and either get something else or wait until this issue has been solved. It's going to take some time for NG to review, test and fix this issue. Nothing gets fixed in short time frames. Maybe check back with the moderator at some future date to see if it has been resolved or look at FW upate release notes. 

I can tell you this, the Orbi AX supports 1Gb fully. Both stand alone testing and live behind my CM1100. So something to review and consider if you wanna give that one a go. Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7