Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 setup failing when connecting router to the internet

novice24Bris
Tutor

RBS50 setup failing when connecting router to the internet

I recently got hold of a used RBS50 router and satellite. I've manage to set the router up so far as it's connecting to the modem and my phone will then connect to the network. It checks the cables, no problem, but every time the router tries to connect to the internet during the app setup it falls over.

I've tried numerous resets but can't get over this last hurdle. I've also tried using IP address etc in Advances Setup as provided by my ISP, but I'm not sure I've got the right info.

It feels very close to being operational, but I can't get over the last hurdle. I'm a total novice at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
novice24Bris
Tutor

Re: RBR50 setup failing when connecting router to the internet

Just to close the loop on this - I managed to find a previously unknown BT username for the router (no password) when I dug into the Network Connection settings on my laptop, and use this in the PPoE settings for the RBR50. It did the job and 'tricked' the BT modem into thinking the Orbi was a BT router. WiFi now working well throughout the house and satellite is also operational.

Thanks for the support.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 setup failing when connecting router to the internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Is there any specific ISP configurations needed? Check with the ISP about this. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

The RBS50 is just a satellite. You said you got a router. Its the RBR50?

What modem are you connecting it to? Thats key

Message 3 of 8
novice24Bris
Tutor

Thanks for replying. Apologies, I do have a RBR50 acting as the router.

The modem was installed by BT (UK provider) around 3 years ago. No distinguishable markings, per the attached picture,

Message 4 of 8
novice24Bris
Tutor

Thanks for replying. Apologies, I do have a RBR50 acting as the router.

The modem was installed by BT (UK provider) around 3 years ago. No distinguishable markings, per the attached picture.

I have tried that reset sequence a few times but no luck. The ISP won't give me any additional details re. configurations as they say they do not want to be liable for any changes and negative effects.

And the cables appear to be fine as my old router works fine when connected to the modem.

Message 5 of 8

@novice24Bris wrote:

The modem was installed by BT (UK provider) around 3 years ago. No distinguishable markings, per the attached picture,

Are you on fibre to the premises? That looks more like an optical network termination (ONT) than BT's standard Home Hub for VDSL.

BT usually like to impose it own modem/routers on people. And these don't allow modem only (bridged) option. In your case, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Message 6 of 8
novice24Bris
Tutor

Just to close the loop on this - I managed to find a previously unknown BT username for the router (no password) when I dug into the Network Connection settings on my laptop, and use this in the PPoE settings for the RBR50. It did the job and 'tricked' the BT modem into thinking the Orbi was a BT router. WiFi now working well throughout the house and satellite is also operational.

Thanks for the support.

Message 7 of 8

@novice24Bris wrote:

It did the job and 'tricked' the BT modem into thinking the Orbi was a BT router. WiFi now working well throughout the house and satellite is also operational.

Well done. Dontchyaluv BT and its ways of making life difficult?

Those PPPoE login details are also out there in several places including BT's equivalent of this place:

Welcome to BT’s official support community.

It is pretty capable with a heavier staff presence than this community.

As an experiment, does that router detect BT's IPv6 implementation?

My aged R7800 doesn't but the new MR90 does.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7