× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: This issue is not as rare as some people think

rpiotro
Aspirant

This issue is not as rare as some people think

This issue is not as rare as some people think. I just had to create a 2.4GHz ONLY network to connect a newly installed fast EV charger (Blink) at a Chevrolet dealership. In this year of our Lord 2024!

I thought that this requirement died in the last century.

Message 1 of 8

@rpiotro wrote:

This issue is not as rare as some people think.

Er, what is this all about?

And where does any Netgear equipment come into the fray?

Message 2 of 8
rpiotro
Aspirant

I thought the topic was about the requirement to have a 2.4 only network? Am I wrong? Does it have to be Netgear specific? Why?

Message 3 of 8

@rpiotro wrote:

I thought the topic was about the requirement to have a 2.4 only network?

The problem is that your message appeared out of the blue, with no previous questions. So we have no idea what it was about.

2.4 only networks for what?

Does it have to be Netgear specific? Why?

Because this is a Netgear community.

Message 4 of 8
rpiotro
Aspirant

I thought I was replying to a topic about the need to set up a 2.4 only network on an Orbi system. I guess not. Oops.

There are still devices out there today that will not connect to a mixed 2.4/5.0 network.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to discuss with the IoT Mfr about. There the ones who design there stuff to only work on 2.4Ghz signals when they fail to make there software work with mobile devices like phones and pads that prefer to connect on 5Ghz signals that are on the SAME NETWORK as 2.4Ghz signals. 

Message 6 of 8

@rpiotro wrote:

I thought I was replying to a topic about the need to set up a 2.4 only network on an Orbi system. I guess not. Oops.

No. I think you were doing just that. But Netgear's community software does this from time to time. It separates the new message from the older conversation.

Knowing that this happens, I should have checked for earlier messages with the same subject.

There are still devices out there today that will not connect to a mixed 2.4/5.0 network.

It is not that those devices will not connect. They cannot connect to 5 GHz but they will connect to 2.4 GHz.

The problem is that too many IoT device makes rely on badly written mobile apps on devices that connect to 5 GHz and cannot find a device with a 2.4 GHz connection on the same network.

This is an ongoing saga.

As @FURRYe38 says, the people to shout at are the ones who created this hopeless app. Just ask them a simple question:

"How do I connect my device to Smart/MESH network?"

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask them more detailed question, why can't your app let the setup mobile device be connected to a MESH system that doesn't support separation of SSID names and why doesn't there software allow setup mobile devices that are connected on 5Ghz signals that are on same network as 2.4Ghz to work in this configuration. 🤔

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7