Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware v2.5.1

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

@SW_ wrote:

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. 

Hello,  Where did this statement come from, specifically Netgear?  First I've heard of it.

Message 51 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 52 of 101
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I have no idea what Netgear did to improve performance.  What I DO know is that one person has looked at Netgear's code and found ways that he claims makes it run faster:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/ 

Things like using the Neon instruction set, changing compiler options, etc. are open to Netgear just like they are to him.  I am also happy to admit that Netgear's home grown device lookup software may have been so terrible that incorporating Fing software made a dramatic improvement in performance.  Maybe Fing is "the answer" all by itself.

It's possible that NG would suddenly decide to change the compiler options between v2.5.0.40 and v2.5.1.8 due to significant performance improvement.  Assuming the compiler options were the "source", I would expect to see that reference/change description in the release notes.  For example, let's take a look at the release notes for a prior release v2.3.1.44 as a reference.

-------------

v2.3.1.44

Includes bug fixes for stability and performance:

• Fixes the LAN/WAN bidirectional throughput on the DHCP mode drop issue.
  • Fixes the downstream drop issue when port forwarding is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where some online games periodicity lag.
  • Fixes the issue where the PPPOE connection unstable 

-----------

To see the performance effect of "Fing" in v2.5.1.8, just check the speed of the "Attached Devices" page between the two releases.  The devices are populated much faster and that page is more responsive with v2.5.1.8 than v2.5.0.40.

Message 53 of 101
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. 

Hello,  Where did this statement come from, specifically Netgear?  First I've heard of it.

If you're referring to "Fing" within the statement, check v2.5.1.8 release note.  If you're wondering about the rational behind that statement, read my posts in this thread.  If in doubt, perform some tests and draw your own conclusion/statement and share the result with us.

Message 54 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Voxel does his own development on some NG FW. Yes he's just started working on Orbi since he was able to get his own Orbi HW. Users have been asking for his help in the FW realm for a while now. I recommend not confusing what he does with what NG does. Stock FW differs from Voxels FW. Voxels FW is tuned and updated for outside of the NG core code. Items that Voxel has access too and is free to develop as he chooses. There are some items with in the NG code, in fact all NG code that isn't GPL, Voxel has no access or ability to change. Any problems here, NG still needs to address these here.

Read the release notes of what Voxel does. You can see that he mostly updates the FW packages that work with in the FW he has access too. Ensures that what he does works, then posts it out for people to try and use. He always open to bug reports from users to that help him fine tune any issues he may have not seen. 

So yes, Voxel can help improve FW and most of the time does and has great success. His long time development of the R7800 and R9000 has helped user keep these two routers going for users who have chosen to use his FW over stock. Now that he has a Orbi 50 series system, this will benefit this series system and help users enjoy the Orbi for a more sustained longer life of operation who want to give Voxels FW a try. 

Since NG has fixed the device naming issue will be nice to see Voxels version based on v2.5.1.8. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I have no idea what Netgear did to improve performance.  What I DO know is that one person has looked at Netgear's code and found ways that he claims makes it run faster:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/ 

Things like using the Neon instruction set, changing compiler options, etc. are open to Netgear just like they are to him.  I am also happy to admit that Netgear's home grown device lookup software may have been so terrible that incorporating Fing software made a dramatic improvement in performance.  Maybe Fing is "the answer" all by itself.

Message 55 of 101
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Thank you.

When looking at the information presented for scope of the update, all that was readily available was stated in the OP. Not sure why the linked release notes weren’t more prominent . Strange manner of communication.

As for performance claims, that’s fine as it hasn’t been an obvious issue here.

The only other thing I’ll add is the IGMP support continues to be a fail unfortunately.
Message 56 of 101
Hanseman
Tutor

Has anybody noticed better values for dBm since this new firmware?

Perhaps a coincidence but I measure this regularly and the connection between router and satellites are more stable and dBm values has improved to both satellites (and they have not been moved).

I was planning on moving the router closer to the satellites but now I'm waiting a while.

Message 57 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Any one interested or users with Orbi that have units outside of there warranty period, can give Voxels FW for Orbi 50 series systems only, a try:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-9...

This is based off the new v2.5.1.8 stock NG FW. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 58 of 101
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Interesting observation from Voxel:

Voxel wrote:

2.5.1.8 was released after I prepared my version... I do process this version (GPL sources) since yesterday (2.5.1.8) and I've seen the changes in device name processing (net-scan package is disabled and attached-devices package is used now)...

Message 59 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder what the differences is. 

@SW_ wrote:

Interesting observation from Voxel:

Voxel wrote:

2.5.1.8 was released after I prepared my version... I do process this version (GPL sources) since yesterday (2.5.1.8) and I've seen the changes in device name processing (net-scan package is disabled and attached-devices package is used now)...

Message 60 of 101
3nwq
Aspirant

Actually, having each device to generate their own keys and selfsigning them for the TLS certificate is more secure than having the same private key in all of the orbi devices. If the same certificate (signed by a public and trusted CA) is used for all Orbis, then the private key is the same in all of them.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 61 of 101
DaVincee
Tutor

I posted my two cents about device renaming before finding this ariticle and the new firmware. Applying it today and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on the forums: it makes life a bit more predictable Smiley Very Happy

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 62 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about this in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Ensure the Orbi app is up to date as well. 

@rhino-1 wrote:

The first issue I'm experiencing with firmware 2.5.1.8 is the inability to turn on remote management from the app. I can enable it from the web interface but the app does not allow me to enable it so I can access my Orbi remotely from the app. I did a full restore back to factory settings before applying the update.

I receive the following error:

"Some error occured while enabling/disabling remote management"

Message 63 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

2.5.1.8 no longer seems to be available from the Downloads area. I get 'File not found'.

Message 64 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Still there and links are working:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#RBR50%20(Orbi%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%202....

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

@DWHITE4245 wrote:

2.5.1.8 no longer seems to be available from the Downloads area. I get 'File not found'.

Message 65 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

Thanks, I took the route through Support->RBR50->Firmware and Software downloads and that doesn't work.

I'll use your link and see if it installs OK.

Message 66 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Your path works for me though. Smiley Wink

Message 67 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

Strange, http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.5.1.8.zip&cid=us-cable-fb still doesn't work for me.

I have now updated to 2.5.1.8 so thanks for your help.

Message 68 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

Tale out the &cid stuff and it does.

Message 69 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible your browser is not handling the link correctly. Try to clear ALL browser caches. Try a different browser. I use Opera.

Message 70 of 101
neerajv
Tutor

Any idea what do i need to do to make the orbi admin page detect the new firmware?

Currently I am on Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 and I see there is a newer firmware 2.5.1.8 available for RBR50 on Netgear website having said that when i go to Orbi admin page, it gives a message "No new firmware version available" , does that means there is some bug and i have to manually download the firmware?

I tried using Edge and firefox and same result.

-Neeraj

Message 71 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

I can only assume that the v2.5.1.8 firmware is not officially released yet as my Orbi also did not detect there was any new firmware available.

Message 72 of 101
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

v2.5.1.8 firmware is officially released, that is why it is available for manual download.  Autoupdates are disabled in firmware somewhere in the v2.3.x tree due to the issues that autoupdates has caused.  I have been running v2.5.1.8 for over a month successfully, but I did have to manually update to it from v2.3.5.30 firmware on my RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites.

Note that if you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, it was retracted due to multiple bugs and issues that it had.  I made a suggestion to NG that it should be autoupdated to v2.5.1.8, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-Firmware-v2-5-0-x-needs-auto-updated-to... and Kudo it if you agree that they should implement it.

@DWHITE4245 wrote:

I can only assume that the v2.5.1.8 firmware is not officially released yet as my Orbi also did not detect there was any new firmware available.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 73 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to let NG know about.

@Blanca_O 

Message 74 of 101
DWHITE4245
Aspirant

Other users who update to V2.5.1.8 may like to follow the user manual more closely than I did for manual firmware updating.

My Orbi Router RBR50 wouldn't update manually to V2.5.1.8 until I updated my RBS50 Satellite first Smiley Happy .

Message 75 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7