Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is my internal performance OK

ekhalil
Master

Re: Is my internal performance OK

Please note also that interference/collisions can also be caused by other devices in the network. Please test to switch off/disconnect all other devices and see if things will get better, and then add the devices one by one.

Message 26 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Ekhalil,
Have already started to unplug one by one. Hoping to find the one device causing the problem (afraid if I unplug them all and plug them in that the problem will go away). I’m suspect of the MacIntosh or Denon receivers and will start there. First though, I’m moving the satellite to see if that makes a difference.
Message 27 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

When you said it should be under 1ms, was that wired or wireless?  

The reason I ask....I disconnected my laptop (the device I had been using to ping)  and ping'ed from another computer.  Results were under 1ms (avg was .5ms) but this was from a wired computer.  Switched to wireless on the same computer and the numbers went back up.  I understand that wired should be less but I wanted to check to see if I mislead the group by stating my results and not letting you know I was wireless. 

I moved the Satellite.  Ping was still 2ms+

Removed the devices one-by-one, reconnecting them after I checked to see if the speed changed.  No Change.

Thanks again

Message 28 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Also, I had to move the satellite back.  The connection was showing "POOR" in the new location.  With th esatellite turned off, response was still excess of 2ms.

Message 29 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

When you said it should be under 1ms, was that wired or wireless?  

The reason I ask....I disconnected my laptop (the device I had been using to ping)  and ping'ed from another computer.  Results were under 1ms (avg was .5ms) but this was from a wired computer.  Switched to wireless on the same computer and the numbers went back up.  I understand that wired should be less but I wanted to check to see if I mislead the group by stating my results and not letting you know I was wireless. 

I moved the Satellite.  Ping was still 2ms+

Removed the devices one-by-one, reconnecting them after I checked to see if the speed changed.  No Change.

Thanks again

Ok, good, then we conclude that you only have a radio interference/retransmissions/collisions on the wifi network and no such issues affecting your wired network.

So please focus on the radio environment --> Internal and external interference. I think that around 2 ms ping is good enough though.

Is the RTS/CTS still giving you improvements? What values have you tried so far?

Message 30 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

What are examples of: Internal and external interference?  I understand the microwave interference when running but am I looking for a "ligh bulb" as an example?

Is <1ms still the target for wireless?

Message 31 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

What are examples of: Internal and external interference?  I understand the microwave interference when running but am I looking for a "ligh bulb" as an example?

Major internal interference is caused by Orbi units interfering with each other. The router and satellites are using the same radio channels so having them close to each other affect all units negetively for sure.

Major external interference is neighbors using the same channels that you are using for fronthaul as well as for backhaul.

@Jroach wrote:

....Is <1ms still the target for wireless?

No, you need to have ideal conditions to reach this figure. < 1ms ping time is only for wired devices.

Message 32 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

I started to test the channels, one by one...  

Out of desparation and hoping to speed things up:

- I turned off the house power (generator and house batteries off).

- Orbi, modem and switch are the onlything on a secondary UPS

(except some emergency lighting)

pinging ORBI in the same room it is still in excess of 2ms.  

Sounds like my best speed is around 2-3ms.

Would you agree?

Thanks.

Message 33 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Using PingPlotter.com, you can get a better idea of latency and such via wired and wireless connections with your Orbi. 

You can use it for freefor a trial period. 

@Jroach wrote:

I started to test the channels, one by one...  

Out of desparation and hoping to speed things up:

- I turned off the house power (generator and house batteries off).

- Orbi, modem and switch are the onlything on a secondary UPS

(except some emergency lighting)

pinging ORBI in the same room it is still in excess of 2ms.  

Sounds like my best speed is around 2-3ms.

Would you agree?

Thanks.

Message 34 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38,

I was looking at PingPlotter and Wifi Explorer.  PingPlotter looks internaly, Wifi Explorer looks inside and outside.  Both have a free trial so I'll give them a try and report back.  

I got a feeling I'm trying to fix something that can't be fixed (ie: normal) and that I'll need to slow the cameras down :(.

Message 35 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

attached are the top offenders.  Not all of the cameras made the list but the ones that tend to be more active (motion or continuous feed).  Without wiring the cameras, I think this is as good as it gets.

I'm goiung to dig into the cmaera settings a bit more to see if there are any tweaks that improve my situation.

Message 36 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds good. The higher resolution and FPS you do on the cameras will take up more bandwidth. Especially if you have more than a few online at the sametime. You might try setting up one camera, set for lowest resolution and FPS, test, the and another camera with same settings. Graduate adding cameras to see what happens. 

@Jroach wrote:

Furrye38,

I was looking at PingPlotter and Wifi Explorer.  PingPlotter looks internaly, Wifi Explorer looks inside and outside.  Both have a free trial so I'll give them a try and report back.  

I got a feeling I'm trying to fix something that can't be fixed (ie: normal) and that I'll need to slow the cameras down :(.

Message 37 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Using PingPlotter I captured the attached.  While there are some spikes/peaks, it is still green.  Is it a safe assumption that green is OK?

Message 38 of 44
JammasterC
Star

Are you using Windows or macOS? 

For OS you can use the included Network Utility for easy to use "Ping".

just type "Network Utility" in the Spotlight Search.

Message 39 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Jammasterc,

Noted

Thanks.
Message 40 of 44
randomousity
Luminary

You have to go to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm to get to that page.

Message 41 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, plot results are fine. Nothing to be worried about there. 

@Jroach wrote:

Using PingPlotter I captured the attached.  While there are some spikes/peaks, it is still green.  Is it a safe assumption that green is OK?

Message 42 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

randomousity,

Thanks.  I started the capture....but where do I find the logs?

Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Log back into the debug page and there is a download logs button. This will export the logs to your PC. Pick a location. 

@Jroach wrote:

randomousity,

Thanks.  I started the capture....but where do I find the logs?

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7