Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

Bill____
Apprentice

Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

I have updated to firmware version 2.1.3.4 and have noticed some homekit instability.  I have several iDevices Switches which have become intermittent and no other changes than the router firmware.  I was re-initializing one in an effort to get it to join, and on the second unsuccessful try, it said it is "not compatible with my router".  The one I reset along with other ones work one moment and don't work the next.  They used to be very very stable. Also getting problems with Philips Hue devices.  

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

Does disabling Beamforming, MiMo Daisy Chain or fast roaming do anything?

Did you factory reset both router and satellite after upgrading?
Message 2 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

Thanks for the suggestions

I would like to see how many other people have these problems before I tear apart my entire setup which was working absolutely perfectly before this firmware update.

One thing I might try is revert to the previous firmware as I am quite confident that will fix 100% of my problems....

Message 3 of 122
eljarviso
Luminary

@Bill____I had the same and had to roll back to 2.1.2.18.  It's definitely a mess-up with the latest firmware.  I can only guess that whatever fixes they used to prevent google devices from doing mDNS storms has completely broken HomeKit.

Message 4 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Thank you for the responses.

I have rolled back the router and two satellites to version 2.1.2.18

I am now getting zero issues, all homekit items reachable inside and from outside (remote)

Looks like another failed firmware release (two in a row I think)

Message 5 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. I believe others have posted about this as well. 

Message 6 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Although I agree with you to contact NetGear support, the problem is that I don't see a path to do that.  My 90 day warranty ran out last year and I am not going to pay them to "troubleshoot" a problem that they have created in their update.

If there is a way to advise them of the problem, I'm happy to do it..

Message 7 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with one of the forum Moderators on here. @AmitR and @DarrenM

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Thank you I have sent a message.

Message 9 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you find out anything. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Will do.

Thank you all for the help.

Message 11 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 122
Kyne
Apprentice

I have the same problem - it's with SOME Homekit devices (all whcih worked 100% fine with the previous firmware); they now show not reachable fairly often... 😞

Message 13 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Thank you for mentioning, hopefully this will get fixed.  No problems since the rollback to former firmware...

Message 14 of 122
Grumperson
Initiate

Exact same issue here. Everything works nice except the Homekit issue. Devices randomly unavailable.. closing homekit and reopening seems to fix it temporarily.. but the next moment they could be unavailable again.. so went back to firmware 2.0.1.4. Please Netgear fix this!!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 15 of 122
kmaple
Tutor

RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4

Same issue here my Kuna camera now stays connected but my HomeKit Accessories continually dropping off with no reponse. My automations are not working because of it. Hate to go back because 2.1.3.4 fixed my camera connection issues.

Hopw they have something in the works

Message 16 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

No word from Netgear, no acknowlegement of the problem, and the firmware we're having problems with is still available as an "upgrade".

Every time someone downloads the firmware, tries to troubleshoot, then eventually reverts back to the older firmware - it wastes someone's time and causes frustration.

A quick path to minimize this frustration would be preferable.

Message 17 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

iDevices advised that Netgear Orbi is currently on their "not compatible" list due to the firmware.

https://idevicesinc.com/compatibility/network-setup/

Message 18 of 122

Running firmware 2.1.2.18 and no problems with Apple Homekit or Phillips Hue system.

Skärmavbild 2018-04-09 kl. 20.56.12.png

Skärmavbild 2018-04-09 kl. 20.56.59.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 19 of 122
Hitch08
Aspirant

Oh my.  This is not what I wanted to read.  I was following the other thread, saw that people were largely happy with the new software and finally "upgraded" tonight.  Decided to do some additional reading to see whether people are using Beamforming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming, but found this.  Well, here's to hoping that maybe I'll get lucky.

Message 20 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

There is still, as far as I can tell, no response or acknowledgement from the Netgear moderator.

I can understand if a firmware update comes out and has to be recalled due to issues.  I can even understand if it happens twice in a row - as it appears to in this case.

But what I don't understand is a company making every effort to get people to pay $50 for support and not giving realistic responses otherwise.  We are not the ones who should be paying $50 to take the effort to report these things.

Message 21 of 122
eljarviso
Luminary

Thats what chaps my butthole.  No acknowledgment of the issue... hell no "known issues" listed in the release notes.  I think customers would be a lot less pissed off if there was active engangement from Netgear with its users.

@Bill____ wrote:

There is still, as far as I can tell, no response or acknowledgement from the Netgear moderator.

I can understand if a firmware update comes out and has to be recalled due to issues.  I can even understand if it happens twice in a row - as it appears to in this case.

But what I don't understand is a company making every effort to get people to pay $50 for support and not giving realistic responses otherwise.  We are not the ones who should be paying $50 to take the effort to report these things.

Message 22 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Still nothing.

Are these guys asleep at the wheel?   How do things get fixed here?  I'm not paying $50.  I'd throw away everything and get a competing product before I'd do that.

This "support" experience or lack thereof has made my opinion of NetGear plummet.   I think this is amongst the worst I've seen for tech support.

Message 23 of 122
Rattler
Guide

I'm using Firmware 2.1.3.4 using Orbi as a router and just had an Apple Bonjour issue. I was updating printer drivers on all my macs and the laptops connected via WiFi to the Orbi Satellites did not recognize the hard wired network connected printer. When connected via WiFi to the Orbi Router, Bonjour was recognized. Also recognized on ethernet hard wired computers as well. I tired both Wireless and Wired backhaul. I tried restarting the satellites and re-syncing them. The reason I bring it up here is that maybe Homekit uses Bonjour and the Satellite connected devices had a problem. Just another datapoint. I'm not really willing to set back my firmware to see if that fixes it for me as it only a set up problem I can correct by moving the laptop only when adding the printer. Printer works fine once set up.

Message 24 of 122
eljarviso
Luminary

Netgear is probably blocking mDNS broadcasts to the satellite. This also explains my previous problems with AirPrint. How can they push out these changes without testing. You’d swear the entire orbi product line is supported by one coder in his moms basement who only has an android phone.

If netgear doesn’t fix there junk software I’m going to grab a second asus ac87u, update to their mesh firmware, pack up my orbi, and personally drive it down to netgear headquarters and ram the whole thing up their CEOs ass.
Message 25 of 122
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7