× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can an ACL Rule be changed without having to delete and restore the binding?

twoods
Apprentice

Can an ACL Rule be changed without having to delete and restore the binding?

I set up Security > ACL > Basic > Mac Rule as follows:

ACL Name = AllowFromPort5

ID = 2, Action = Permit, Match Every = False, Destin MAC = [MAC address of Device A], Destin Mask = 00:00:00:00:00:00

ID = 3, Action = Permit, Match Every = False, Destin MAC = [MAC address of Device B], Destin Mask = 00:00:00:00:00:00

ID = 4, Action = Permit, Match Every = False, Destin MAC = [MAC address of DHCP Server], Destin Mask = 00:00:00:00:00:00

I bound this ACL to Interface g5 where a NAS device is attached.

Initially, I didn't include an entry for the DHCP server in the ACL file, and after a couple of days the NAS stopped communicating. Hopefully adding that entry will keep it alive.

My question is whether or not I should need to delete (under Binding Table) and then re-bind the ACL (under MAC Binding Configuration) each time an addition or change is made to the ACL? When I first created the rule I didn't seem to need to do that, but later when I tried to add a rule it didn't seem to take until I deleted and restored the binding as well.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
twoods
Apprentice

Re: Can an ACL Rule be changed without having to delete and restore the binding?

I resolved the issue. The ACL Rule CAN be changed on the fly.

I was mislead (again) because (although I had added Permit  for the DHCP server) I did not have a Permit for the Broadcast address, so the NAS was still losing it's IP address. During the moment when I would delete the binding, the NAS was sometimes able to renew its address.

ID = 5, Action = Permit, Match Every = False, Destin MAC = FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, Destin Mask = 00:00:00:00:00:00

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
twoods
Apprentice

Re: Can an ACL Rule be changed without having to delete and restore the binding?

I resolved the issue. The ACL Rule CAN be changed on the fly.

I was mislead (again) because (although I had added Permit  for the DHCP server) I did not have a Permit for the Broadcast address, so the NAS was still losing it's IP address. During the moment when I would delete the binding, the NAS was sometimes able to renew its address.

ID = 5, Action = Permit, Match Every = False, Destin MAC = FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, Destin Mask = 00:00:00:00:00:00

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements