× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't find GS748T IP address

HughOD
Follower

Can't find GS748T IP address

I have aquired a client that has a GS748T that I can't see on the network.  I'm wanting to setup some VLANs; but can't even see the switch on the network.  I've tried using Smartwizard from a Windows Server 2008, 2012, and Windows 7 box (all with firewall turned off).  The DHCP of the router does not show the switch as pulling an IP address... so I figured it might be static.  I've done a couple of network scans and can't see the device with any of them.  The network is a typical 192.168.1.x network with no current VLANs, etc.  All devices plug directly into switch.

Is there something I am missing here?  

Model: GS748T|48-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't find GS748T IP address

Hi @HughOD,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

It is possible that there are settings already configured in the GS748T switch you have acquired.  If ever the GS748T switch you have is a GS748Tv2 and above, I suggest that we start from scratch (the latest product model is the GS748Tv5).  Here are the steps below:

A. Factory reset the GS748T switch.

1. Disconnect the GS748T switch from your existing network.  Make sure its turned on.

2. Get a paper clip and straightened it.

3. At the front panel of the GS748T switch, insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole.  Then, press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

4. After 30 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Check if the GS748T switch will boot up properly.  The Power LED should lit up solid green. 

B. Setup the GS748T switch for the existing network.

1. Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS748T switch.

2. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

3. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the web-GUI of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.

Note: The default IP address of GS748T switch is 192.168.0.239. 

4. On the web-GUI of the GS748T switch, go to System > Management > IP Configuration.

5. Select the Static IP address option. 

6. Enter a static IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided (for example: since the LAN IP range of your existing LAN is 192.168.1.x then you can set a static IP address of 192.168.1.9 on the GS748T switch).  Also, enter the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.  Take note that the default gateway is the LAN IP address of your existing router. 

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS748T because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

7. Connect a LAN port of the GS748T to a LAN port of your existing router.  

8. Set your PC/laptop to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS748T. 

9. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS748T then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS748T is now a part of your existing network and you can now connect devices such as PCs, network printer to any LAN port.  

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC/laptop then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS748T.  If you receive replies then it means that the GS748T is reachable within your existing network. 

In setting up VLANs, refer to the articles below as reference guides:

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

How to create Layer 2 VLANs on NETGEAR ProSAFE Switches

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @HughOD,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

It is possible that there are settings already configured in the GS748T switch you have acquired.  If ever the GS748T switch you have is a GS748Tv2 and above, I suggest that we start from scratch (the latest product model is the GS748Tv5).  Here are the steps below:

A. Factory reset the GS748T switch.

1. Disconnect the GS748T switch from your existing network.  Make sure its turned on.

2. Get a paper clip and straightened it.

3. At the front panel of the GS748T switch, insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole.  Then, press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

4. After 30 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Check if the GS748T switch will boot up properly.  The Power LED should lit up solid green. 

B. Setup the GS748T switch for the existing network.

1. Connect a PC to a LAN port of your GS748T switch.

2. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

3. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the web-GUI of switch. Enter "admin" and "password" as the username and password respectively without the quotation marks.

Note: The default IP address of GS748T switch is 192.168.0.239. 

4. On the web-GUI of the GS748T switch, go to System > Management > IP Configuration.

5. Select the Static IP address option. 

6. Enter a static IP address that is within the IP range of your existing network in the field provided (for example: since the LAN IP range of your existing LAN is 192.168.1.x then you can set a static IP address of 192.168.1.9 on the GS748T switch).  Also, enter the corresponding subnet mask and default gateway then click Apply.  Take note that the default gateway is the LAN IP address of your existing router. 

Note: You will lose access to the web-GUI of the GS748T because you have just change its IP Address which is normal.

7. Connect a LAN port of the GS748T to a LAN port of your existing router.  

8. Set your PC/laptop to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically."  Then connect it to a LAN port of the GS748T. 

9. Open a browser like Google Chrome.  Then, at the address bar of it, type the static IP Address you have set to the GS748T then press Enter.  If you are able to access it, then it means that the GS748T is now a part of your existing network and you can now connect devices such as PCs, network printer to any LAN port.  

Note: You may also perform a connectivity test.  Open command prompt on your PC/laptop then ping the static IP address you have set to the GS748T.  If you receive replies then it means that the GS748T is reachable within your existing network. 

In setting up VLANs, refer to the articles below as reference guides:

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

How to create Layer 2 VLANs on NETGEAR ProSAFE Switches

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@HughOD,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to follow the steps provided?  If yes, what is the result?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements