× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot install Smart Control Center due to Bitlocker

iSCUBA4sharks
Aspirant

Cannot install Smart Control Center due to Bitlocker

SCC version: release v1.1.3.4

firmware version: (2.0.1.26 - ultimately, I'm trying to upgrade to 2.0.1.40)

There seems to be an issue with the installer not playing nice with Bitlocker. My OS drive is not bitlocker protected; however, my data drive (G:) - which also includes the Documents folder - is bitlocker protected. The installer crashes (error 1310: Verify that you have access to that directory) when trying to install because it wants to place a file in the docs folder but can't for some reason. Yes, the drive is unlocked; and yes, I am the administrator. If I try to boot in Safe Mode with the drive unlocked (this has solved other issues for me in the past), I get a different error stating the app cannot install in Safe Mode.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Please pass on what finally resolved the issue for you.

Model: JGS516PE|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@iSCUBA4sharks,

The  JGS516PE switch has a default IP address of 192.168.0.239.  This is indicated on the JGS516PE user manual here on page 8.  Hope that you were able to read that part since I gave you the pages that you have to read in on how to Access and Configure the switch using a Web Browser or using the ProSAFE Plus Utility.

It would be best if you will assign a static IP address to the JGS516PE switch that is within the IP range of your existing network for ease of management.  Here are the steps below:

1. Disconnect the JGS516PE switch from your existing network.

2. Connect a PC directly to a LAN port of the JGS516PE switch.  Just the PC and the JGS516PE switch connected to each other.

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password.

Note: The default IP address of JGS516PE is 192.168.0.239. 

5. The Switch Information page displays. In the DHCP Mode menu, select Disable.

6. Enter the IP Address that you want to assign to the JGS516PE switch that is within the IP range of your existing network as well as the Subnet Mask, and Gateway Address of your existing LAN network on the fields provided.

7. Click Apply.

Note: As soon as you click Apply, you will lose access to the JGS516PE switch.  Set the PC back to 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically' or set a static IP address on the PC that is within the IP range of your existing network. 

As reference to the steps above, kindly read pages 14-15 of the JGS516PE user manual here on how to assign a static IP address to the JGS516PE switch.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @iSCUBA4sharks,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked, there is no issue logged about Smart Control Center not being installed properly because of BitLocker as per described in your initial post. Kindly try to disable BitLocker for the meantime then try to install again the Smart Control Center.

You have specified that you have a JGS516PE switch.  Be reminded that the Smart Control Center is not compatible to the JGS516PE switch.  The Smart Control Center is used for NETGEAR Smart Switches like the GS108Tv2 or GS110TP switches.  

The ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility is compatible to the JGS516PE switch.  You can download the latest version of the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility here then install it in your PC. 

Furthermore, the JGS516PE can be managed either via its web-GUI using a browser or using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.  Kindly read pages 7-10 of the JGS516PE user manual here on how to Access and Configure the switch using a Web Browser or using the ProSAFE Plus Utility.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@iSCUBA4sharks,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
iSCUBA4sharks
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thanks for the important information. Unfortunately, the user manual is greek to me. After some playing around today with the ProSafe Plus Utility, I noticed that when I choose the switch, click the 'apply' button, and enter the password I get an error message stating 'The switch and manager IP address are not on the same subnet'. As you can see, I'm really out of my element here as it never occurred to me before to click this button because the word 'apply' has no real context here for me - I'm not applying anything - I'm accessing, or trying to access, something. Anyway, since the PC is hardwired directly to the switch, I'm not sure why they're not on the same subnet. However, the switch and the router are not hardwired, they are connected via WiFi.

Thanks for trying . . .

-jts

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@iSCUBA4sharks,

The  JGS516PE switch has a default IP address of 192.168.0.239.  This is indicated on the JGS516PE user manual here on page 8.  Hope that you were able to read that part since I gave you the pages that you have to read in on how to Access and Configure the switch using a Web Browser or using the ProSAFE Plus Utility.

It would be best if you will assign a static IP address to the JGS516PE switch that is within the IP range of your existing network for ease of management.  Here are the steps below:

1. Disconnect the JGS516PE switch from your existing network.

2. Connect a PC directly to a LAN port of the JGS516PE switch.  Just the PC and the JGS516PE switch connected to each other.

3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC.

4. Open a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox then at the address bar of it, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password.

Note: The default IP address of JGS516PE is 192.168.0.239. 

5. The Switch Information page displays. In the DHCP Mode menu, select Disable.

6. Enter the IP Address that you want to assign to the JGS516PE switch that is within the IP range of your existing network as well as the Subnet Mask, and Gateway Address of your existing LAN network on the fields provided.

7. Click Apply.

Note: As soon as you click Apply, you will lose access to the JGS516PE switch.  Set the PC back to 'Obtain an IP Address Automatically' or set a static IP address on the PC that is within the IP range of your existing network. 

As reference to the steps above, kindly read pages 14-15 of the JGS516PE user manual here on how to assign a static IP address to the JGS516PE switch.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
iSCUBA4sharks
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA,

I can't say I understand why changing the IP address on the PC made a difference since it was only the last 3 digits that changed; but, it worked so I'm not going to complain. Thanks again for the hand-holding getting me through that.

-jts

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements