× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting GS510TPP PoE Switch not using SFP Port

s16454
Follower

Connecting GS510TPP PoE Switch not using SFP Port

I have a Netgear Pro Safe GS510TPP PoE switch to network IP security cameras. Switch will be located in a closet and connected to home router via Cat6 approx 40 feet away. The switch has eight RJ45 and two SFP fiber ports.

My question is: to connect the switch to home router, do I have to use one of the SFP ports with an ethernet transceiver, or can I just connect a Cat6 to one of the eight RJ45 ports on the switch? The instructions are not very clear. Is there any benefit to using the SFP port over the RJ45 to connect, for my particular application?

Model: GS510TPP|8-Port Gigabit High Power PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports (190W)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Any port can be used as the uplink. Reason for the special mentioning of the SFP is that many switches with SFP/SFP+ ports are uplinked on fiber connections.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Any port can be used as the uplink. Reason for the special mentioning of the SFP is that many switches with SFP/SFP+ ports are uplinked on fiber connections.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements